A Question for Scholars Greater than Myself

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

A Question for Scholars Greater than Myself

Postby JasonK » Tue Feb 20, 2001 2:48 pm

I have got a question....and it is a serious one, does not the opening section of Dvorak' s Allegro from New World Symphony sound almost exactly like an faster paced version of John Williams theme from Jaws....It just struck me as almost an exact copy....so, is the theme a variation?<P>
JasonK
4th Chair

Re: A Question for Scholars Greater than Myself

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 20, 2001 3:28 pm

My best guess....Williams could have used that theme. ANy other thoughts?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby JasonK » Tue Feb 20, 2001 3:31 pm

I would be interested in any theories, because his themes are so instantly recognizable. I find it interesting that it would be so obvious, perhaps there is a reason for the linkages of the two pieces? not sure, but bet there is a good story in there somewhere!!!
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby John » Tue Feb 20, 2001 5:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonK:<BR><B>... does not the opening section of Dvorak' s Allegro from New World Symphony sound almost exactly like an faster paced version of John Williams theme from Jaws....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Jason:<P>At least from a layman's perspective, I found many composers "borrow," or their compositions are influenced, from other composers. I think there are a large number of compositions with snipets that happen to be nothing more than variations of other compositions. Is this flattery or plagiarism? Perhaps a little of both? However, invention leads to invention and innovation leads to innovation. You can readily see that in other disciplines beyond music.<P>John<BR>
John
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Feb 21, 2001 3:06 pm

A related question.<P>Is that the movement conducted by Vice Principal Guber on the TV show "Boston Public?" I only just started to watch this show and thought it was an interesting way to get acquainted with a character. He won a contest to conduct the Boston Pops. For the duration of the episode he practices in his office and begs of the music teacher to let him lead her orchestra. His mind is not on anything job related...which, as I understand, is completely UNLIKE him.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR>("TreeBeau" on AIM if anyone wants to chat and learn me a thing or two about Boston Public.)<p>[This message has been edited by treebeau (edited 02-21-2001).]
treebeau
2nd Chair

Return to Nicole Marie