The Lockout

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The Lockout

Postby The Squid » Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:03 am

Nicole,<P> With the shift to the new site, we must have Active-X permissions (We use these terms as pick-up lines in Seattle)to use the site. Essentially, if a network administrator is security concious (Paranoid, and they all are) they disable the capability. No more music.<BR> Thank goodness the webcam is still viewable. I just put on Vivaldi's Four Seasons and refresh your picture. <BR> Alas, can you talk to the managment and see if they will set up a way for us to get in without it? I lost my online Michael Medved last month, and now I've lost you all.<BR>How much more can I take?<P>Thanks, and keep up the good work.<P>P.S. Whoever said letches don't listen to classical music hasn't been to your BBS? :> )
The Squid
Section Player

Re: The Lockout

Postby JasonK » Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:19 am

Yeah, those Michael Medved letches are the worst around.....freaky
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby The Squid » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:14 pm

Jason,<P> Chill out man. How do you survive Chicago winters with such thin skin? Life is good here in as Michael Medved says, "The Greatest Nation on God's Green Earth".<BR> I'm taking a wild guess, but I'll bet your a fan of anything Clinton. That's cool. This is America, I don't have to agree with you and vice versa. It makes us all better.
The Squid
Section Player

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:34 pm

WHOA!! Let`s just cool it, chaps. Now, this Michael Medved fellow - is he the same MM famous for his writings on terrible movies? He presented TV shows in the mid-80s on this subject, here in the UK. I always wondered what became of him.
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:37 pm

Hey!<P>When you post under my name everyone must play nice! So you're all grounded.<P>And no low blows I dig Clinton too.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby JasonK » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:50 pm

Thin skin? nope not really, just thought the Medved tie in was witty.....<P>Called a joke people and a sense of humor....maybe you can download one....ooops, forgot you can't deal with Active X.....ohhhh damn, that was a good retort, if I can compliment myself...(good job, Jas, good job)<P>Interesting though, going from entertainment critic Medved to Clinton....how long did you have to train for that long jump in logic? Should have had some of that talent in Sydney 2000......<P>It's good to be the king Image<P>
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby JasonK » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:56 pm

ok, now you can send me for my time out Nicole, but HE started it....BLAH
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:06 pm

JasonK-<P>You're grounded too. Play nice no dinner and bed.<P>Goddess of this Bulletin Board!!<BR>Remember that...
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby JasonK » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:16 pm

That is soooooo unfair!!! You always did like him better......
JasonK
4th Chair

Postby The Squid » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:36 pm

Sorry Nicole, I won't do it again. I'll behave, but please try not to use sentences like the last sentence in your next to last post here.<BR> It's as tempting as the open door at a meat store to a starving doberman. <P>LIFE IS GOOD!<P>So how about that Active-X requirement?
The Squid
Section Player

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:04 pm

Squid-<P>If that's the way you would act towards my point of view (dog-like I mean) well....gotta wonder?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby phatchet » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:57 pm

Even if I'm not a Clinton fan (evidence the pardons for library $'s deal), let's get back on track....<P>The Active-X relationship to corporate IT police - and our ability to classical while at work - is at issue here. I worry about my company's IT people freaking, too.<P>While I applaud Beethovens.com's new site and strategy, listening was far more reliable using my MS MediaPlayer than the streaming player at the Beethoven.com site, and I hate to give any credit to Uncle Bill & Co. Maybe it's my me, but the reliability deal is for real - at work on NT4 as well as home on Win98, both tapping broadband. I keep on getting "unknown error" messages, and the music ceases. Meantime, I'm staying connected to the internet and not having other download or upload issues. Frankly, I'm sorta bummed at the change. Nichole, please pass this along up the chain. <P>Can an address be provided that I can use with MediaPlayer?<P>Help!<P>Parker
phatchet
5th Chair

Postby CLarsen » Sat Mar 03, 2001 12:21 am

As an assistant IT manager, I can't recommend sneaking behind your administrator's backs and changing the Internet Explorer Option settings to enable Direct X... but I can recommend that you send an e-mail to your Admin requesting (politely) that Direct X be enabled or to allow the download and installation of iM Tuner which may be able to bypass the Direct X settings by running locally. The new CLBN player is required in order to keep Beethoven.com viable. Our webmaster has also posted an updated FAQ in our <A HREF="http://www.beethoven.com/help.htm" TARGET=_blank>Help</A> section.<P>Sincerely,<BR>Chris Larsen<BR>Assistant Engineer<BR>Beethoven.com
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby The Squid » Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:15 pm

Et tu Nicole? Tell me it isn't so. Bummer. <BR> Active-X is a no go on our network. I sure did like the station. You just made it that much better.<P>For Jason:<P> I didn't understand your comment earlier about the jump. You might not know that Michael Medved does a pretty good conservative talk show. As for how far the jump actually was, it was not near as far as the distance between your axons and dendrites.<P> Sorry Nicole. Roof, Roof! Couldn't help it.<P>Good luck to you all, even you Jason.
The Squid
Section Player

Postby EJA_2 » Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:41 pm

Yes, everyone, the new stream is a real drag. In fact, I'd hesitate to call it a stream. As I told Sir Stewart, as much buffering, skipping, and stopping as it does, it's more like a backed up, beaver-pond-infested, stream. Not that I have anything against beavers -- just a metaphor. No, the problem is not the player. As it turns out the new player is just an activeX control that accesses Windows Media Player. I did a little reverse engineering and discovered how to play the stream through media player, partly because I wanted to see if it did a better job of handling the stream, and partly because <B>I wanted my volume control, graphic equalizer, and visualizations</B>. Alas, this backfired. Not only was the buffering no better, but the new stream comes from an ASP page and is designed to change the ads in the little pop up window that contains the new CLBN player. If the browser can't find that window, it throws the ads in the most recently used browser window. This is particularly annoying when you are trying to <B>use</B> the browser. One minute your reading along, and the next your looking at an ad against your will. So, I don't recommend it unless you simply *must* hear beethoven.com and can't use activeX controls. For my part, I say we shouldn't revolt against this change. Beethoven.com has to remain financially solvent in order to continue to supply us with our Classical music fix. The previous streaming service was costing them a 5-digit number every month, something that was not financially feasible in the long run. No doubt CLBN will want to keep beethoven.com, so they will eventually increase the available bandwidth so that the music will be uninterrupted. The new player isn't the greatest, and the ads that go with it are less refined than beethoven's own, but perhaps it will improve. In the meantime, I must confess, I'm listening to more CDs and an Internet station out of Dallas, WRR 101, that plays good Classical music during the day. I still haven't found a station to match beethoven.com for sound quality, though, and I hope that they will develop the bandwidth to once again have the best Classical station on the Internet. <P> -- Ethan Adams<p>[This message has been edited by EJA (edited 03-05-2001).]
EJA_2
4th Chair

Return to Nicole Marie