Screaming is Music?

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Screaming is Music?

Postby bobr54 » Thu May 24, 2001 4:46 pm

I wonder why the researchers reached that conclusion. Doesn't it seem more logical that music evolved from the human voice, and that prehistoric music was an extension of human screaming? Besides, the research only studied European people. What music do African or Asian people emulate when they scream? And who funded this study, anyway?
bobr54
Section Player

Re: Screaming is Music?

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu May 24, 2001 6:01 pm

Bob-<P>For other cultures, Asian and African, they do not follow the rules of Western music. Which is why the study focused on Europe and America, we follow western studies of music.<P>Now the research said when we (western cultures) raise our voice we yell at the tones found in western music. It's a unconscious thing. We imitate what we hear in music. Maybe it is primal, we are animals you know.<P>If they studied other cultures I'm sure they would find they yell at the same tones of their music. To read more click on the music headline at the top of Beethvoen.com that reads: "Screams and Shouts are music to our Ears"<p>[This message has been edited by Nicole Marie (edited 05-24-2001).]
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby The Great Mazinga » Fri May 25, 2001 10:24 am

This makes perfect sense to me Nicole Marie...if you look back in History, you will see that music obviously originated from screaming....I refer you to History of the World, Part One by Mel Brooks for further reading on the subject.<P>"Ottho heard the funny noise coming from Ugh and was pleased."<P>------------------<BR>Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise!
Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise!
The Great Mazinga
4th Chair

Postby violin » Fri May 25, 2001 1:45 pm

Mazinga,<BR>I don't subscribe to the Mel Brooks theory. I subscribe to the same evolution theory as the one describing why women multi-task better than men. (primitive woman at home in her cave, mate is hunting, she is simultaneously cooking, tending baby and beating the wild beasts from the door, it was eith evolve the ability to multi-task or die.) Primitive man hears companion screaming, it means (a)companion is still alive (and this is good) and (b) Primitive man now knows to save himself (and this is really good). Those screams save lives, those screams sound good, therefore 'Sounds like music to my ears'.<P>Violin
violin
4th Chair

Postby Peter » Fri May 25, 2001 2:34 pm

"Vanilla!," I scream. "Chocolate!," I scream too.........esp. in this hot weather.
Peter
3rd Chair

Postby violin » Fri May 25, 2001 3:03 pm

Nah, it's too cold for ice cream here. Peter surely it's not warmer there than here.<BR>Violin
violin
4th Chair

Postby EJA_2 » Fri May 25, 2001 3:21 pm

Here it's 80 degrees, and that I scream, it sounds very good. <P>Oh, yes, Peter, I'd better translate that to Centigrade for you: ~ 27 degrees<P> — EJA
EJA_2
4th Chair

Postby violin » Fri May 25, 2001 4:04 pm

EJ,<P>It's only 68 degrees here, normally it's ranging around 90 degrees. Being a born and bred southerner, I feel very, very cold.<P>Violin<P>
violin
4th Chair

Return to Nicole Marie