Favorite Instrument

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Favorite Instrument

Postby tancred » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:16 am

In the hope of getting us away from the previous, dreadful topic:<BR>What is your favorite instrument?<BR>I'll start - the cello. :cool:
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Re: Favorite Instrument

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:32 am

Double Bass!!! And not because I play it...<P>The instrument can hit the range of all the voices in the orchestra, the sound is amazing, it's big and loud and people get out of your way when you walk down the street with it tied to your back!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:21 pm

tanc, i'm a big fan of the cello, too. brahms' cello sonatas really turned me on to the instrument, and i've gotten to like a range of works for cello.
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby Bones » Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:36 pm

I think I would go for the piano. It has an incredibly broad range of versatility and expressiveness.<P>Either that or the kazoo.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby Brodie » Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:28 pm

Way to change the subject Tanc. In fact great way to change it.<P>The Bass guitar. Not just because I play it. But if you can find a a guy who really can play that instrument he can do everything from Classical to Funk. Fun to watch too.<P><BR>Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby annettehala » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:41 pm

I play the piano, but I would have to say the harp is my favorite!
annettehala
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:55 am

I once had a conversation with the former drum major of my high school. As a band member, he played the trombone, but he said that he much preferred the whistle.<P>But seriously, folks, I have to say at this time in my life, I have to say that in the hands of someone really outstanding, the violin can make me laugh, make me cry, make me tingle... Kind of like my wife...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:09 pm

The French Horn...<P>imagine a sweet sound of soft brass far away in the woods of an early morning fog...<P>very romantic...very foretelling of an adventure on its way...
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby EJA » Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:12 pm

Much as I'm tempted by Tim's washboard an kazoo ensemble, and much as I love the bagpipe, I think I have to say the violin. It can reach out and pull your heart strings as no other instrument I know. I better quit -- this is starting to sound like love letters to a violin. There's a book title, someone! Just send me the royalties.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EJA:<BR><STRONG>Much as I'm tempted by Tim's washboard an kazoo ensemble...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Glad to see you remembered !<BR> :) :) <BR>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby wcoye » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:39 pm

Howdy all,<P>We all probably think the best instrument is the one we play or are most familiar with. And yes, I'll weigh in with the bassoon. Most folks don't realize the wide range of emotion the bassoon can project. I hate the "clown of the orchestra" moniker hung on il faggotto. Maybe the "master thespian" is more appropriate. For those of you who don't know, the bassoon has a range of almost 4 octaves, each with it's own unique voice. In the hands of a talented performer it can blend with just about any instrument...okay in the lowest range it's tough, but I've got a pretty good pianissimo down there...and in all ranges it's capible of doing the mos intricate solo work.<BR>For those of you who only know the bassoon as Grandpapa in "Peter and the Wolf" or the solo voice in the opening bars of "Rite of Spring" should check out the two Bassoon Brothers CDs, "Wanted" and "Captured". There is a lot of fun stuff on them, but they also show the many faces of the orchestra's consumate actor. ;)
wcoye
5th Chair

Postby hhsailor » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:04 am

The pipe organ does it for me. Unlike the instruments of the orchestra, each pipe organ is different and since the organist is free to choose his/her own registration, any piece you hear will be a new experience, even if it is one you have heard dozens of times. The pipe organ has a wider frequency and dynamic range than a symphony orchestra, which is what initially got me interested in the instrument when I was heavily into hifi audio. The repetoire for the organ is surprisingly rich and varied, although most people 's experience seems to be limited to Bach's tocatta and fugue in D.<BR>Denny
hhsailor
5th Chair

Postby Blackberry » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:28 am

Uilleann Pipes, which are quieter bag pipes. Inspiring with or without orchestral accompaniment.
"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men." - Aragorn
Blackberry
4th Chair

Postby Nonamel » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:33 pm

I know it was my first instrument, but I would have to say the oboe. It has the delicacy of a French Horn, the range of a flute, the sound of a bassoon, and with the right player, can be applied to any style of music. If not my fist instrument, then I would have to say the flute.<BR> As for Billy's comment, the reason we would usually say that our favorite instrument is also the one that we play is because our first instrument is our favorite one, not the other way around. Oh, and by the way, my second instrument is the flute.
I don't have a name, so if you must give me a name, then give me Noname.<BR> Nonamel
Nonamel
5th Chair

Postby priya978 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:35 am

OHH, this is hard.<BR>Umm......I like the french horn because of it's beautiful flowing sound of majesticness, I like the violin because of it's , well it's really versatile so I can't put my finger on one thing, I like the cello because of it's full, rich tone, the viola because it's like a combination of the cello and violin, the trumpet blah ,blah ,blah, timpani becuase of the way it adds to the character of the piece the harp- (it's so unique as an instrument) because of it's melodic glissandos, and the piano because of everything (I play the piano so that's why I'm saying that. I just can't choose 1 all I can is narrow it down.<BR>The flute, harp, and french horn.(By the way the only one of those that I can play is the French horn, no flute or harp for me.)
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:52 pm

Easy!<P>#1 - Bagpipes<BR>#2 - Kilts...ah, uh, Bagpipes<BR>#3 - Banjo<P>Ah, whata band!<p>[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: dkm32 ]
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:02 am

Washboard and kazoo.<BR>Makes for a nice duet in a bathtub.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Parrothead » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:16 pm

I would have to with the harmonica. A harp in the hands of blues artist Jerry Portnoy or Junior Wells is magical.
I know one thing. Indecision may or may not be my problem.
JB
Parrothead
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:25 pm

PH, the harmonica has a lot of advantages as a musical instrument: It's inexpensive, very portable, and not all that difficult to play once you figure out how to stay alive breathing that way.<P>Also, there are some concertos for harmonica and orchestra that are quite nice. Beethoven radio has at least one CD of Hector Villa-Lobos harmonica concertos that I like a lot, and request from time to time. I have a CD of harmonica concertos written by Michael Spivakovsky fpr Tommy Reilly that's a real winner in my book. :)
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby TuneGirl » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:18 pm

How about steel drums a la Buffet?
TuneGirl
5th Chair

Next

Return to Nicole Marie