Choral Music

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Choral Music

Postby kyx » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:05 pm

Hi Everyone: Most of the music stores I visit these days organize their classical selections by composer which is fine if you know what you're looking for. After hearing a CD of Verdi choral pieces, I became entranced by the expressive spectrum possible with massed voices...from raw, fierce and visceral power to the sublime, delicate, ethereal and refined. While I am able to find choral presentations associated with a particular composer, I am finding it difficult to locate quality ecletic choral compilations. Any recommendations would be welcomed.<BR> Thank You !
kyx
Section Player

Re: Choral Music

Postby annettehala » Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:30 pm

I also recently discovered choral music. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am finding it difficult to locate quality ecletic choral compilations.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You absolutely have to get Agnus Dei. I'll put a link to it on<A HREF="http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/album.jsp?selectionId=17231" TARGET=_blank>iclassics</A>.
annettehala
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:43 am

One of my favorites, which seems unfairly obscure, is DuRufle's <I>Requiem</I>.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby kyx » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:24 pm

Annettehala & Barfle: Thanks for the suggestions. I have ordered both. I even found the the DuRufle' coupled with the Faure' Requiem (Robert Shaw/Atlanta Symphony). Back in 1990. the Soviet Army Chorus & Band released a superb collection of secular pieces you both might enjoy. If I've done this correctly, the Barnes& Noble link to the recording is below.<BR>Thanks for taking the time to respond.<P>[url=Barnes & Noble <A HREF="http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.asp?userid=0P639UQWPI&sourceid=00003307316239593858&bfdate=11%2D26%2D2002+15%3A16%3A29&CTR=93364&TYP=" TARGET=_blank>null</A>]B&N[/url]<p>[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: kyx ]
kyx
Section Player

Postby kyx » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:28 pm

Sorry, I screwed up an edit attempt.<p>[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: kyx ]
kyx
Section Player

Postby Bones » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:29 pm

Although it's not a compilation, I think you would find Orff's Carmina Burana to be somewhat ecletic. To me, it's the most powerful piece of choral music written in the 20th Century.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby tancred » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:05 pm

I have three words: Rutter, Rutter and Rutter! :D
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:00 pm

Howard Hanson's Lament for Beowulf is well worth looking for, particularly if it comes with other Hanson works of any type. His Cherubic Hymn is also pretty nice.<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tancred:<BR><STRONG>I have three words: Rutter, Rutter and Rutter! :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>So I'm not alone! I love Rutter too!
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby kyx » Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tancred:<BR><STRONG>I have three words: Rutter, Rutter and Rutter! :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Tancred<BR>Sorry....initially I didn't realize you were being serious..thought it was a joke of some sort...the point of which eluded me.I had never heard of Rutter but after a little probing...Surpise !...thanks for the suggestion..I will certainly explore based on your trinity of enthusiasm. Thanks
kyx
Section Player

Postby wcoye » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:18 pm

Re; Rutter, Rutter, Rutter:<BR>Listen to his "Gloria", "Requiem", "Shepherd's Pipe Carol" or any of his Christmas music. Heavenly!
wcoye
5th Chair

Postby kyx » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Bassoon:<BR><STRONG>Re; Rutter, Rutter, Rutter:<BR>Listen to his "Gloria", "Requiem", "Shepherd's Pipe Carol" or any of his Christmas music. Heavenly!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hello: First, Happy Thanksgiving to all. In keeping with this sentiment, I wish to express my earnest appreciation to everyone who made me aware of John Rutter's work. On my way home last night, after a long day, I stopped at Tower Records and picked up "The John Rutter Collection" on Decca. The music defied any expectations...simply deeply refreshing and magical....it reminded me of my erstwhile childhood marvel over the glory, the mystery and the wonderous nature of life. While listening, I remembered praying fervently as a very small child thinking that, somehow, my tiny voice would reach and shake the very "pillars of heaven". Years of acquired cynicism has eroded any such "faith" but Rutter's music has a way of at least reminding us that whatever we think life is, it is certainly more than we think. Even the requiem pieces are hopeful and uplifting, never weighty or ponderous as is often the case with many liturgical pieces.<P>In return, may I recommend that those interested in stunning choral work investigate the recordings of a group named "Cantus". They have just issued a new CD, "Against the Dying of the Light". This as well as previous issues can be found here.<P><A HREF="http://cantusonline.org" TARGET=_blank>Cantus</A>
kyx
Section Player

Postby BigCharles » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tancred:<BR><STRONG>I have three words: Rutter, Rutter and Rutter! :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My wife is into Rutter. She sings in several choirs. She has sung "Messiah" in chours for over 20 years. She is now singing with the William O. Baker festival singers (http://www.festivalsingers.org)<P>It is difficult to find collections of choral music in the stores as they sort by composer mostly.
ATB<P>Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Section Player

Postby ABaffy » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:59 pm

My favorite choral work is the "Vespers" by Rachmaninoff. I highly recommend the recording by Robert Shaw. Other recordings, especially the ones out of Russia, tend to be ponderous and hazy. Their choirs are too big and performances are done in places that don't have favorable acoustics. I like to follow the score when I listen to it.<P>For more modern works by Barber, Pendrecki, etc. I also recommend "Evocation of the Spirit" also conducted by Robert Shaw.<P>I have found many choral collections in the bins at my local retailers, usually in the section labelled "Choral" or "Vocal". There are usually recordings of collections of sacred works and some excerpts from operas as well. I have usually been pleased with the selections I have purchased. Many of them are on budget labels as well.<P>Happy hunting!<P>[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: Al Baffy ]<p>[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: Al Baffy ]
"When I was young, I kissed my first woman, and smoked my first cigarette on the same day.
I have never had time for tobacco since."

Arturo Toscanini
ABaffy
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:21 am

Al, I too love the Vespers. I performed it several years ago, and it stands out in my experince as one of the most moving pieces I've done. I found a recording on Hyperion done by the Corydon Singers with Matthew Best conducting which I find to be very clear, yet rich and well-balanced. And as unassailable as the Shaw recording is, I happen to prefer this one (yes, I know what they say about taste!). I totally agree about the Russian recordings. I would like to think it's more to do with inferior recording processes/equipment rather than the actual performances though.<P>Other choral works that are close to my heart are Messiah, Carmina Burana, and Cherubini's Requiem In Do Minore. If you've not heard that requiem, I highly reccommend giving it a listen. I have an EMI recording done with the Philharmonia Orchestra and Ambrosian Singers with Muti conducting. Once again, a good representation of the work. :cool:<p>[ 01-05-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dkm32 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:10 pm

Gosh, darn. It must be nice to be able to sing! Especially well enough to do so in front of people! Sigh!
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:50 pm

Oh Donna (hey, that's a song, isn't it?)! You don't have to be good at it, you just have to have a passion for it. Just like the good book says: "make a joyful <I>noise</I>", not "a joyful, beautiful music". :)
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby DavidEB310 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:48 pm

That's right...sing, sing a song, make it simple, make it last the whole day long, sing of good things not bad, sing of happy not sad -- got a bit carried a way by the Carpenters...<P>Heck, everyone sings, like the old singing cowboys for instance, except they sung <B>Corral</B> music! ;)
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:03 pm

And to think the first time I heard of Harry Simeone's group, I thought it was a corral! :confused:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:08 pm

Look for work by Andrew Parrott and the Taverner Consort and Players. They have done a number of major classical works and I have enjoyed every one that I've ever listened to.<P>Also, you might try a search using a featured soloist's name; you'll find other works that they've appeared in. (Don't know if this works on iClassics, but it works well on Amazon)<P>Try stuff that Sofie van (von?) Otter has appeared in.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Next

Return to Nicole Marie