Ni"cold" Marie

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Ni"cold" Marie

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:16 pm

In honor of H.R.H.'s cold, how cold is it where <I>you</I> live?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Re: Ni"cold" Marie

Postby bigjoel » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:26 pm

23F and snowing :cool: Time to break out the shorts!!!
The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working when you get up in the morning, and doesn't stop until you get to the office. <BR>-Robert Frost
bigjoel
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:28 pm

Around 20, windy and freezing. Let's share cold cures too! Linda in Boston sent me a great one with lots of Jack Daniels! Sounds like a winner. ;)
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:42 pm

For me it's always been Nyquil, water and sleep as much as possible. However,I'd like to hear more about this Jack Daniels recipe - sounds like a whole lot more fun! :p<P>BTW, SoCal weather: light clouds, dry, mid 60's (sorry, can't help it).<BR> :cool:<p>[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby monkeymd2b » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:46 pm

oh i don't know, a frigid 50 or 60? But we're getting a really cold north wind that really takes the breath away...give me a break, I grew up in hawaii...cold is a relative term anyway. as for cold remedies. If it's not bacterial and susceptible to my personal fav amoxicillin (works like a charm), then I just use the mind over matter thing. In otherwords, I use the psychosomatic principle and convince myself that it's nothing and go on with my life not thinking about it and it's worked a most of the time (sinus infections always win so I end up with good drugs). There's some theory that the immune system is slightly boosted by such positive thoughts. And there have been studies of people getting better after surgery and back to regular life faster if they had a positive attitude. Although when I was battling a cold in november, I decided I was too tired to fight it and gave in to the cold but still got better quickly so who knows. I do supplement positive thoughts with decongestant as necessary. But hey, liquor works too... :D<p>[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: monkeymd2b ]
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby Randrew0 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:58 pm

From Mark Twain's "Curing a Cold"...<P>"I finally concluded to visit San Francisco, and the first day I got there, a lady at the Lick House told me to drink a quart of whisky every twenty-four hours, and a friend at the Occidental recommended precisely the same course. Each advised me to take a quart; that made half a gallon. I did it, and still live."<P>I've always found his advice valuable.
Rusty Andrews<BR>"Spem successus alit!"
Randrew0
Section Player

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:07 pm

Almost forgot, for you singers out there with colds, Riccola or Fisherman's Friend cough drops. If you've never tried FF's before, beware! I always refer to them as "Drain-O for the throat".
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby CindiACB » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:10 pm

It is 69 degrees here in Central Florida now with beautiful sunshine. I can remember having only one bad cold in about 20 years and I was in New Zealand then. I usually drink about 8 oz of orange or grapefruit juice a day, and feel wonderful most of the time. Come visit us. CACB :cool:
CindiACB
Section Player

Postby bigjoel » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:15 pm

I've always had good luck with COLD-EEZE (zinc louzenges). The only drawback is, they taste like chalk :( (Don't ask how I know what chalk tastes like ;) ;) )
The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working when you get up in the morning, and doesn't stop until you get to the office. <BR>-Robert Frost
bigjoel
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:19 pm

Hi CindiACB, welcome to the board! Are you a music prof?<P>Hey Bigjoel, how do you know what chalk tastes like (oh, right, you said not to ask!)?<BR> :p<p>[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby CindiACB » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:23 pm

No, economics, but music keeps me sane. CABC :cool:
CindiACB
Section Player

Postby bigjoel » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by operatenor:<BR><STRONG>Hey Bigjoel, how do you know what chalk tastes like (oh, right, you said not to ask!)?<BR> :D
bigjoel
4th Chair

Postby EJA » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:44 pm

Temp is about 50º F, the sky is blue with a smattering of clouds, and the ground is starting to dry out. In other words, the weather is perfect. <P>Hmmm cold cures. . . My experience is that ignoring the symptoms and avoiding the "medicines" works about the best. Strenuous exercise seems to help. I'm keenly interested in this Jack Daniel's treatment, though. Just love that stuff.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:37 pm

I think someone else said they get plenty of rest and from what I've seen about the cures using alcohol, all the alcohol is for is to knock you out. Just like cough syrup does not work to cure coughs but to diminish them slightly to allow the sufferer to rest (hmmm...sleep again). As for that theraflu stuff Nicole mentioned a few hours ago, I tried it once. Save your money nicole and drink fantastic cleaner...probably tastes better. That stuff is horrendous! I say stick with the tea and sleep. Oh and for Nicole's coworkers, providing your body hasn't already become infected, you're safer outside naked in the cold and snow than sitting next to HRH in the building fully clothed.
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:56 pm

Yes, but what about sitting next to H.R.H. naked with a bottle of whiskey?<BR> :p<p>[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:15 pm

here we have temp: 12 F clear and no wind. nice day.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby EricMichaels » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:38 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monkeymd2b:<BR><STRONG>As for that theraflu stuff Nicole mentioned a few hours ago, I tried it once. Save your money nicole and drink fantastic cleaner...probably tastes better. That stuff is horrendous! I say stick with the tea and sleep. Oh and for Nicole's coworkers, providing your body hasn't already become infected, you're safer outside naked in the cold and snow than sitting next to HRH in the building fully clothed.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks for the tip... ;)
EricMichaels
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:33 am

It's gotten a little better in the DC area, it might even thaw a little today. We've had temperatures in the low teens and single digits with wind chills hovering right around zero.<P>When I feel a cold coming on, I usually just climb in bed and cover up with as much as I can. I usually don't take any medicines, particularly those that reduce fevers, but if my throat is really sore I might take an ibuprofin. <P>And sweat like a pig. :)<P>Good luck, YRH, and I hope you're feeling better today.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby bigjoel » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by operatenor:<BR><STRONG>Yes, but what about sitting next to H.R.H. naked with a bottle of whiskey?<BR> :p<P>[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>OT, Just make sure we can't see you on the web cam...PLEASE!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
bigjoel
4th Chair

Postby redlover73 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:23 am

Hey OT,<P>You forgot to mention the downside of Southern California weather at the moment. Sure it may be in the upper 60s going as high as the low 80's at times but it gets COLD going down to about the high 30's to 40's at night and the early morning hours. If that doesn't get you a cold due to "system's shock" (AKA: Body's ability to adapt to changing conditions quickly), I don't know what will. BTW, try Ginseng or Green Tea. Your cold will be gone within 2 days when taken regularly.<P>Hope H.R.H feels better! :cool:
Ours is not to reason why.....<BR>Lord Alfred Tennyson
redlover73
5th Chair

Next

Return to Nicole Marie