Searching for a certain Christmas CE

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Searching for a certain Christmas CE

Postby Mortimer » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:41 pm

My Christmas song of the season this year was 'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent'!! What a powerful peice. Unfortunately I can only find instrumental renditions and not choral arrangements. I did find a CD titled A Christmas Celebration, Vol 1&2, with arrangements by Bach, Praetorius, Handel and others, on the internet; but have been unable to find the CD anywhere. It was released 01/1991 and its UPC: 016126707723. Does anyone out there have any idea how I might find it or have a recording (choral) of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent.<P>Thanks. :)
Mortimer
Section Player

Re: Searching for a certain Christmas CE

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:27 am

I think I know the song you mean. Lyrics go:<P>Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence<BR>By: Liturgy of St. James<BR>Author: French folk tune<BR>Tune: Picardy<P>First verse lyrics go: <P>Let all mortal flesh keep silence<BR>And with fear and trembling stand;<BR>Ponder nothing earthly minded,<BR>For with blessing in his hand<BR>Christ our God to earth descending<BR>Comes our homage to demand.<P>Is that the one? <P>I got this off <A HREF="http://www.lutheran-hymnal.com," TARGET=_blank>www.lutheran-hymnal.com,</A> but I think it's a common hymn; it's in both the ELCA and LCMS hymnals, and I know I've heard it at Methodist and Episcopalian and Catholic services, too.<P>Try searching on the tune name - "Picardy" might turn up something. <P>BTW, most church choirs aren't fussy; if you're even remotely affiliated with any congregation and can breath in rhythm, they'll welcome you. If you're completely unaffiliated and just want to sing, they'll welcome you. It isn't CD quality, but you get to make noise yourself. And there are the potlucks...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:41 am

Try this one:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/album.jsp?selectionId=2609" TARGET=_blank>http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/album.jsp?selectionId=2609</A>
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Mortimer » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:02 pm

Selma, Thanks for the feed back. You are exactly right, that is the hymn. I do sing in a Church choir and in fact sing with the Augusta Opera (tenor), and we did this piece at Christmas time. It gave me goose bumps. Wasn't a dry eye in the audience or the Opera Chorus. <BR>Eric. :)
Mortimer
Section Player

Postby Mortimer » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:04 pm

Bless you Shapley!! I have already gone to the website and purchased the CD!!! Thanks soooo much. <BR>Mortimer :)
Mortimer
Section Player

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:12 pm

No problem, I hope that's the version you were seeking.<P>V/R<BR>Shap
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Nicole Marie