Radiohead

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Radiohead

Postby Marye » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:39 am

[QUOTE] Rick Wakeman QUOTE]

Wow ... its been a long time since I have heard Rick Wakeman .. since Journey to the Centre of the Earth, I should think. Excellent. I think I will have to revisit some recordings. Good choice . :D
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:54 am

"Journey to The Centre of The Earth" is one of the best albums of the century, IMHO. When I start listing my favorite rock concerts, that's really at the top of the list. I saw him do "Journey" at the Hollywood Bowl in 1974. He ran out of encores, so he did the last movement of "Journey" again!

He's still recording, and did a revisit to the centre of the Earth CD that has about twice as much music as the original, but it's nowhere near as good (maybe because my expectations were so high).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby DanM » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:28 am

Not a yankee & proud of it. I know who Marc Anthony is. He is a recent Latin Pop singer, soap opera star & I think for some reason he may have been in a movie or 2, maybe with Vince Vaughn or Vincent D'Nofrio (I could be wrong on that one). I don't want to be a snob. If you grew-up in the 70s you would understand my moderate appreciation of alot of the pop music out during that period. It is almost like Bolero, some like it, some don't & it is mainly due to overplaying.

You guys forgot Steely Dan, BTO, the Guess Who.
DanM

Postby Marye » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:15 pm

You guys forgot Steely Dan, BTO, the Guess Who.
Two Canadian Bands there Dan? Hmm. :D

Thanks Barfle. I saw Rick Wakeman when he was in Yes... so that would be maybe '71 or '72... He is great and I love "Journey to" - I cannot remember most of that concert, ahem. :D ;) :roll: ....
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Parrothead » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:55 pm

Jimmy Buffett
First album - 1970
Latest album (that's not a compilation) - 2002
All great stuPH.

(That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)
I know one thing. Indecision may or may not be my problem.
JB
Parrothead
4th Chair

Postby DanM » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:52 pm

I also forgot Savoy Brown, Foghat (one of my first concerts), Rush, Triumph,Kim Mitchell & my favorite Canadian band Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. I think Steppenwolf may also be from CN & most importantaly; the Canadian Songbird, Anne Murray. CN has a huge music history.
DanM

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:08 pm

We all seem to be pretty narrow-minded in our musical tastes.....NOT! :p
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Marye » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:01 pm

[/QUOTE] Rush, Triumph,Kim Mitchell & my favorite Canadian band Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. I think Steppenwolf may also be from CN & most importantaly; the Canadian Songbird, Anne Murray

Holy jumpin' Dan... you know some old Canadians....I see Kim Mitchell and Geddy Lee (Rush) walking about Toronto often enough and they look old to me. Maybe you are not really 42 ;) ;) Mahogany Rush... hoo boy.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:31 am

Canadians, let's see... Joni Mitchell (a great poet, but pretty thin when it comes to music, IMHO), Gordon Lightfoot (a unique and pleasing folk-type singer, who I've seen twice in concert), and the Guess Who (griping about the "American Woman," but the music is good).

I guess you might be able to look these up in your ancient history books, Marye.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:15 am

Hahaha Barfle... ancient history books. :D

Poor Gordon Lightfoot is unwell and often in hospital in Toronto - Joni Mitchell is still cranking out music - I love her .... the Guess Who never seem to go away....Oldsters for sure.... :D :D ;)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:01 pm

Hi Serenity-

I just saw your post about the mosh pits... no worries! I don't take part. I stand off to the side with my beer and enjoy the show.

But a brief history of moshing: It actually started as a way to work off steam and not intended to hurt your fellow pit goer. Whether it was pogoing, windmills etc. all these forms were meant as ways to vent and not to go after the person next to you. If someone fell down, you helped them up, if you hit someone by mistake, you bought them a beer and apologized. But what happend with the Seattle invasion in the 90's with acts like Nirvana etc. It brought moshing into the main stream. These shows were soon filled with people who had no clue about how to behave and destroyed moshing. They brought in violence. Many of the bands from this time broke up and many broke up because they became mainstream and their art form was destroyed.

To this day when I go to shows and some jerk is being an ass, the rest of the crowd will boo him/her and force him/her out of the show. The attitude is "When in Rome..." or better yet, I take the attitude of you are in someones house... so behave!

<small>[ 06-19-2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]</small>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby blueiris » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:18 pm

Any one remember/enjoy:
* Seals & Crofts
* Tower of Power
* Steve Miller Band
* Cat Stevens
"I'm trying to arrange my life so that I don't even have to be present."
Anonymous
blueiris
4th Chair

Postby BenODen » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:25 pm

I like all but Seals&Crofs which doesn't ring a bell, but maybe I'd recognize it...

Never got enough tower of power though. I have to hunt some down some time.

-Benito

;)
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby blueiris » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:48 pm

Benito: You remember "Summer breeze makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind" don't you? Or maybe before your time ;)
Anonymous
blueiris
4th Chair

Postby BenODen » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:19 pm

Hmmm, maybe the words ring a bell, but I can't put a tune to it. Now, ask me about Cat Stevens, and BAM, I'm there. Nice if sad song. (That real popular one of his.) And I OWN Steve Miller's greatest hits and like that pretty well. I should see if there's a tower of power greatest hits.

Help me somone tell me what movie they've been in!

-Benito
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby blueiris » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:38 pm

Uh...."Born in East LA" with Cheech and Chong" :D
Anonymous
blueiris
4th Chair

Postby BenODen » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:40 pm

Dang! I love the song, but didn't see the movie!

Oh well.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby blueiris » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:46 pm

Just a wild guess........I'll have to check it out to see if that was right. You should definitely see the movie.....very early 70's and funny!
Anonymous
blueiris
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:43 pm

Leigh, welcome to our little chamber.....

It's good to see another Sandy Eggan! :cool:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:39 pm

Nicole-
Interesting fact on the moshing (can't find a definition). The trouble with drinking beer and sitting back is that sooner or later the beer will take you to the mosh pit! I tried the mosh pit once at a Lollapalooza concert. I was attracted to the pit like a moth to flames....Even though I woke up limping the next day and covered in bruises---I loved it! That was about 10 years ago and I swore not to do that again. Ten years later I find myself with a couple of tickets to Lollapalooza again this July....I think I will need some sort of control mechanism. Any suggestions?
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie