More than just the "Rite"...

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

More than just the "Rite"...

Postby Valerie » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:18 pm

Hi

As I write this post, I am listening to beethoven.com and my namesake's music is being played - the rite of spring...

But, there is so much more to Stravinsky than the rite and the ballet music...

i remember a thread not too long ago where his music was vaguely discussed - oh, how he was not really russian, but french - needless to say, i did chime in on this...

you can hear the russian/soviet (remember the soviet union??) influences - especially in his early works - focus on the russian folk music...

oh well - explore and learn, he was an incredible composer, and pretty neat person...

no - i never met him, i was a little girl when he died...but, i do/did know people who knew him

take care!
Stravinsky
Valerie
4th Chair

Re: More than just the "Rite"...

Postby Marye » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:43 pm

Stravinsky,

Please then... discuss his music....I should like to learn more. :)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby priya978 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:46 pm

What do those people that knew him say about him?
Even his most popular music (The Rite) have Russian folk melodies. (I still stand by the fact that he is French.)
He wrote his few operas (Nightingale, the DIFFERENT Rakes progress) his other ballets Le Noces (the works from this period are are very smally scored and jagged) etc
(Warning- Dont listen to his "American music" You couldnt find anything LESS American in ALL classsical music literature.)
I don't want to write more. Everything i says seems popular anyway. :roll:
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:52 pm

As much as I love the Rite, Firebird, and Pulcinella, I also like the few chamber pieces I've heard, particularly Dumbarton Oaks, one of the more popular pieces of S's chamber music, I guess.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:42 pm

strav, hoe are the early works soviet influenced? they were composed before the soviet union was formed. les noces is very Russian.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Valerie » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:38 am

russian influence - early works

later works - a slap at soviet society

hope this clarifies...
Stravinsky
Valerie
4th Chair

Postby shostakovich » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:14 pm

From his student days with Rimsky-Korsakov through Rite for Diaghilev, he was purely Russian. After that he became more universal: Ebony Concerto (American), French (L'Histoire du Soldat), Italian (Pulcinella), Russian (Les Noces), oriental (Song of the Nightingale), classical Greek (Orpheus, Apollo). He left Russia before the revolution and did not return till after his composing career was over.

I'd heard that he was stand-offish, even snotty. But those reports were mostly from people he did business with. I'd like to hear about his soft side from people who knew him as a person. Can you help us out here, Stravinsky? Thanks in advance.
Shos

<small>[ 08-14-2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: shostakovich ]</small>
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:29 pm

Originally posted by Stravinsky:
russian influence - early works

later works - a slap at soviet society

hope this clarifies...
it does, thanks. :)
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:31 pm

shos try Rubionstein's autobiography. I'm almost sure at least one of the Stravinsky stries is fictitious but he doesn't come across as stand-offish.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Valerie » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:14 am

hi shos

well, from 2 of my teachers who actually knew him and hung out with him a little bit, stravinsky was not "standoffish" - he was a nice guy, but could be kinda snotty with "uneducated" people - meaning, people who like to be near "important" people and show off what they don't know - apparently he wasn't impressed with "groupies"

i never read Rubionstein's autobiography - i guess i should have...

you mentioned one of my favorite pieces of music, L'Histoire du Soldat

Marye - shos gave a good starter list in his post - shows the many influences and styles of his music

i must admit - that i don't have everything on CD, i have many albums (remember them??) and i would have to dig out the recordings for the orchestras and conductors, as i will admit i am snobby about orchestras and conductors

as for good interpretation - lenny knew stravinsky and i would even go out on a limb and say they worked together

WARNING!!! NEVER PURCHASE ANY RECORDINGS WHERE IGOR IS CONDUCTING HIS OWN MUSIC, he could write, but he could not conduct his way out of a paper bag - i have the cd to prove it - lord, it is painful!

oh well - this jostled my memory a little...

like i said in an earlier post - go out an explore! find info on the internet! i don't do that, as i rely on my studies and memories (i need to refresh my memories to keep up with many on the board...shos, big, bones, OT...even eugene sometimes :(
Stravinsky
Valerie
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:26 pm

yikes! I meant Rubinstein. that was good Strav... :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby dai bread 1 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:54 pm

Petrouchka, anybody? :cool:
Omnia me Graeci est.
dai bread 1
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:10 am

[quote]Originally posted by dai bread 1:
[b] Petrouchka, anybody? :p

As much as I like most of the rest of Igor's music, that piece just doesn't have any music my ears can discern. And for someone who really likes ballet, I still don't care for the piece. Fortunately, Igor wrote a lot more music to listen to, so I don't have to sit through that piece very often.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to Nicole Marie