Artwork

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Artwork

Postby dai bread » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:15 am

Don't be too hard on jmf, folks. His chosen profession has taken a fair pounding on this thread, (even from the bottom of the world). He has acquitted himself manfully IMO and if I ever get into a lawsuit in the U.S. I will look him up.

I tried to pm the name of the multinational in the case I cited, but BR's mail isn't working. Law reports may well be public documents, but I am still unhappy about plastering names all over the internet, world wide.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:15 pm

Yeah, don't be too hard on JM. The ladies are hard enough on him already! :D Oh wait wrong thread.

(Still can't believe that steely rejection, sheesh!)

-Benito
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby BigJon » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:25 pm

For a quality look at the extremes of both sides of the bar try http://www.stellaawards.com/ Mr. Cassingham does a good job of presenting only real cases and debunking the urban myths all with wry commentary. I've been a subscriber to the free newsletter since it started.

BigJon
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby Judybug » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:16 pm

Originally posted by jmfryar:
I'll say it again - it is ILLEGAL to pad a bill. As in against the law. As in prosecutable. You can't do it legally. It's illegal. As in you lose your license.
I know lawyers who charge for every phone call, every paper clip, every photocopy, etc....may be legal, but is it ethical to charge your client (in these instances, insurance companies) every time the attorney even thinks about the case?
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of every day thinking.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby Judybug » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:24 pm

Originally posted by Marye:
Well Jm... I agree about contractors... has anyone found ONE that can come in on time and within budget? I am so annoyed with our renovations. :mad: :mad:
Marye,

I know several, but they're in California.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:32 am

I've had such unsatisfactory dealings with contractors, I just started learning to do all that stuff myself. Talk about inability to follow through with commitment! As bad as sopranos.... :eek:

<OT scrambles to find the FRS & see if it still fits....>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:49 am

OT wote:
Talk about inability to follow through with commitment! As bad as sopranos....
Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:35 pm

Originally posted by piqaboo:
OT wote:
[b]Talk about inability to follow through with commitment! As bad as sopranos....
Hey, I resemble that remark! :D
        :eek:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:45 pm

LOL
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:53 pm

Originally posted by Judybug:

Marye,

Sigh....... :( I wish it were so for Toronto; alas, it is not. I am disheartened and wish I had never had the work started. Sob. :(
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:08 pm

They must have reliable contractors in Visalia, but I haven't met or heard of one in SoCal. Patience Mary, someday it will end & be pretty much what you wanted. :)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Marye » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:27 pm

Originally posted by operatenor:
Patience Mary, someday it will end & be pretty much what you wanted. :)
Thank you OT... I do hope so. I am usually a very patient person and able to ignore all sorts of irritations. I work with lawyers after all ;)
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:44 am

The thing about contractors that drives me to distraction is their uniform seeming inability to meet any commitment. Personal experience and every anecdote from friends proves this. I realize their forte is their work and not necessarily organizational skills, but if I was in their shoes, the constant making excuses and backpedaling would drive me crazy or force me to start reevaluating my M.O., and would eventually lead to meeting my commitments better.

A friend of mine is currently having a major renovation done on his home. The general contractor hired a flake of a plumbing sub to do the piping. The guy continuallly just didn't show up. At one point the GC stood next to the flake while he was allegedly talking on a cell phone to my friend & explaining why he wasn't at the job & when he would be there to work. The whole time he was talking to a dial tone, putting on a performance for the GC! To me, exerting that kind of energy to bluff and dodge is more work than just doing the job. :mad:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Judybug » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:22 pm

Originally posted by Marye:
Originally posted by Judybug:
[b]

Marye,

Sigh....... :( I wish it were so for Toronto; alas, it is not. I am disheartened and wish I had never had the work started. Sob. :( [/b]
The only reason I know of contactors who can bring in a project on time and within budget is that I work for architects. I also know some contractors who I would swear begin thinking about how to increase the price of the project before it's even been awarded to them.

Marye, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your contractor. In California we have a Contractors' Licensing Board where one can lodge complaints about contractors who perform substandard work. Is there a similar contractor licensing agency in Toronto? Is your remodeling project extensive?

Judith
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby Judybug » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:55 pm

OT,

I'm surprised the GC kept the plumber on the job. The plumber's behavior is costing the GC time, money and reputation.

I once worked on a project where the plaster sub-contractor refused to complete his portion of the job as specified in the plans. The GC fired him, hired another plasterer, and then sent the bill to the original plaster sub-contractor.

As in any profession, word travels fast and there are few GCs in the area who will work with that particular subcontrator now.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:38 am

I worked for an Audio/Video contractor in SoCal for a few years, and found that contractors run the gamut, much like sopranos. Some of them are remarkably accurate in their forecasting, some can't tell what month it is. Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a better way than to rely on the recommendations of others who have had the same sort of work done as you are looking for.

Fortunately, I'm a reasonable plumber, carpenter, drywaller, and a pretty darn good A/V installer, so when I get around to doing my basement bijou, it will be done right (though not necessarily on any schedule, since it's not my day job...).

But first, I have to get through the quarter (at work), then finish the window coverings in the family room, visit my grandmother (101 years old and going strong), THEN I get to do the laundry room (some of the plumbing in there is soooo scary!), then the basement workshop, the library, and finally the theater.

As long as I don't hit retirement age first...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:58 am

Judybug,

I'm sorry I just saw your post now...

There is no regulation of Contractor's here in Toronto. Had there been I would have had Master Beelzebub front and centre of the Directors ... as it is I am thinking of starting a new sport "Contractor Dangling" ... out my livingroom window for a start.... :D (14th floor straight down to concrete...)

<small>[ 09-25-2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Marye ]</small>
Marye
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie