Welcome Back Anna!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Welcome Back Anna!

Postby jmfryar » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:46 pm

<small>[ 04-16-2006, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: jmfryar ]</small>
jmfryar
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:59 pm

"maybe the radio/dating thing could be for all of Anna's fans..."

Yes but no dates with Anna. Ya' all need to get out more and meet real people. To be honest, it's a bit creepy.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby jmfryar » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:17 pm

<small>[ 04-16-2006, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: jmfryar ]</small>
jmfryar
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:31 pm

As we've all said earlier she IS NOT SINGLE! Geeze. And yes we've had people show up at the station (for both stations), we've had phone calls, disgusting emails (I get at least one a week) I've had to change my phone number twice, I've also had to have the police contact two people who went well beyond the line. We've had people show up at promotions and say the most vile things (my husband never lets me go to them alone). And the creepy part is, you can't tell who's the nut and who isn't.

What's most disturbing is its radio! People hear a voice, and in our case, see a cute face and think that that opens the door for comments. What happened to a nice hello and the occasional "You are doing a great job." There are more comments on this board about Anna's looks then her ability. So we know where the intention is. Radio is dangerous; listeners hear a voice and come up with a fantasy. The nuts then fixate on the fantasy and sometimes cross the line. Women at both our stations have experienced it. WCCC has a rule that no women on the staff is to go out in the crowd alone at promotions, that was after one girl had her chest grabbed at a promotion. We have to take precautions in this business.

Now I'm not saying you are all nuts but it's a bit odd that many feel it's OK to comment the way some of you have and think that's the polite thing to do. We are professionals doing a job and when we kindly say we are married or NOT SINGLE the hint is not taken. Take the hint folks, keep it in your pants and start a thread about her talents and not her looks.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:59 pm

While I admit to having being a dirty old man since I was seven, I hope I recognize the difference between a compliment and a threat.

I believe both Anna and Nicole Marie are certainly more than passably attractive young women. And they are in the entertainment business. While mostly (on beethoven radio) they use their voices, I note that Nicole Marie is a professional musician who has said that she's a member of an all-female group who wear short skirts when they perform. I recognize that's not an invitation to every horny guy out there to do what comes naturally, but there's an intention there to entertain more than just the ears.

From a masculine point of view, the first thing I think men see when we see a woman is how she looks. Well, duhh. It's a lot easier to decide a woman is pretty than it is to decide she's nice, or that she likes opera, or that she's a good double bass player. Honestly, I haven't spent enough time listening to Anna to know what she's good at.

I'm one of the most married men I know. My relationship with my wife is the most precious aspect of my life, and my love and appreciation for her isn't something I could ascribe limits to. That doesn't mean I don't admire a pretty girl, though. I'm not going to do anything about that admiration, but I don't believe I'm causing anyone any distress when I tell someone that she looks nice.

I also recognize the fact that there's a difference between being cordial and being a stalker. I sympathize with anyone who had felt threatened by someone whose admiration isn't exactly admirable.

I don't blame anyone who uses every talent and asset they have to succeed. If I had looks that could improve my condition, I'd use them (but you've seen my pictures, and add another ten or twenty years to them...). Certainly neither Nicole Marie nor Anna is depending primarily on their sex appeal for their careers. But that doesn't mean they don't both have plenty of it.

And I mean that as a compliment.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jmfryar » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:59 pm

<small>[ 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: jmfryar ]</small>
jmfryar
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:15 pm

The greater issue is that I've met you, I know your harmless. But the day you came in here Dan stayed with me until you showed up. He always leaves right after his shift but we didn't know you then. Ever wonder why he was still here so late playing video games on the computer when you showed up? Beacuse most people we met are nuts. Women in this industry have to take precautions and we always have our guard up. Not because we want to but because that is what has been set for us by listeners. You think the comments are harmless but ever wonder why Anna doesn't post? Maybe it's her way of hoping this will all die down. Just because you see a pretty face and hear a nice voice does not mean you have to make a comment. You can just take it as that, a nice voice and a pretty face.

And Barfle- I don't buy the it's a guy thing, give yourself some credit.

<small>[ 12-19-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]</small>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby jmfryar » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:25 pm

<small>[ 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: jmfryar ]</small>
jmfryar
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:51 pm

Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
And Barfle- I don't buy the it's a guy thing, give yourself some credit.
Hmmm, about the only thing I presented from a "guy" point of view is first impressions, which seem pretty self-explanatory. Or maybe you read something that I didn't intend to write?

Speaking of harmless, I recall an incident about ten years ago when the company I worked for hired a new clerk. And she was certainly easy on the eyes. There was another fairly recently hired guy in my department who was closer to her age but for some reason she didn't find him as attractive as he found her. One day at lunch she told me that she wanted my help in keeping him away. Not that she perceived him as threatening, but just not her type. I guess I was perceived as "safe." Definitely had mixed feelings about that.
:p

And I have to agree with jm - I'd like to know more about Anna, if only because there would be more to talk about than her looks and her voice. I don't need her phone number, but stuff like you've posted - you like Elvis Costello, you are a real musician, you're vegetarian, you're politically liberal (BTW, I also know that Eric likes curling, reality TV, and those awful LOTR movies, so I'm not simply memorizing stuff about you).

While we've never met face-to-face, I listen to all of you just about all day every weekday. I feel a certain amount of familiarity with all the on-air staff, if not actual friendship, and we would all like to get to know our friends better.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:15 pm

You may not get that info from Anna. She may not what to share it and she has every right not to share. She's here to do a job and may not what it to go furhter then that. It's not a requirement of Beethoven.com to post on the Board or respond to listeners. And if she doesn't want to then you will have to chill out and live with it.

<small>[ 12-19-2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]</small>
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby jmfryar » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:25 pm

no...we continue the good hearted teasing and you don't get to comment on it...
:p
jmfryar
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:14 pm

I'm sorry if I implied that I felt that she had any obligation toward me whatsoever. She has every right to live her life the way she wants to, and to either respond to or ignore anything I say anywhere, as do you and everyone else except my family and business associates.

But conversations like this mean you and I know a little more about each other, and if we happen to meet face-to-face sometime, we would have a conversation or two to continue. I know there's a lot more to you than your voice and your webcam image. I'm only pretty sure about that with Anna. I don't mean that to be disrespectful in any way, I just don't know much about her except what she looks like and what she sounds like. If that's how she wants to keep it, I'm OK with that. But just because I'm interested in knowing more about someone, that doesn't mean I'm looking for dates or anything like that. My card is full for the foreseeable future (and I don't want to think about the unforeseeable future).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:02 pm

Originally posted by jmfryar:
Much like the "mysterious" overnight voice, there's a fascination with the unknown that also fades when information is provided...
Except that Nicole has revealed his identity. ;) Remind my Monday and I will find a picture of him on teh 'net.

BigJon
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:02 pm

I find it perplexing that you all don't use pseudonyms for you broadcast persona. You've had to change your phone number twice, Nicole? That is creepy. I knew DAs and judges had to take precautions like that, but I had no idea radio people did. I don't know if they have a concealed carry law in CT, but were I in your shoes, I'd be finding out, and I wouldn't go anywhere without those pitbulls. Wow, that gives me the willies.

I concur with Nicole that the Anna slobbering has frequently gone well overboard. I think most, if not all, males have tendencies toward that kind of behavior, but it is something that should be kept in check because it can quickly get out of hand. It is important for the survival of the species that we males be highly sexually motivated, but it is also, probably even equally, important for the survival of civilization that we not become solely preocupied with breeding. In my estimation, ogling in public print is a pretty good indication that it has gone too far. So, guys, keep a lid on it.

And Beethoven radio folk, I have to wonder what you ever had in mind as the purpose for the web cam. It is certainly conducive to such problems as Nicole has described. Perhaps you should reevaluate the costs and benefits.

I don't mean this strictly as a criticism, and it may be my speakers or something, but when Anna is announcing on the air I have a very difficult time understanding what she is saying. Her voice sounds muffled with quite a bit of background noise, as though she is too close to the microphone or something (although I'm sure that's not the case). Have you guys tried different wind screens? I wonder if the one she's using muffles her voice too much. (No, it's not the accent.) I think she does a pretty good job of announcing, though. When I can tell what she's saying, it's always well-composed and generally well-executed, too.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:50 am

It's sad and scary to read about the "stalking" problems. I like having the webcam and knowing that someone is talking to me in real time, as well as pairing a face to a voice. But maybe, the webcam images of our hosts can be interspersed with images of art, quick trivia facts about composers, shots of Hartford, scenes of American landscapes, inspirational pictures, etc. On a lighter view, the audio and video could be switched so that the voice does not match the view; kind of like those identity theft commercials where the surfer-dude's voice is coming from the sweet little old lady :roll:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:25 pm

Hi Serenity- We've thought about getting rid of the web cam but the amount of "normal" people who enjoy it, for us, out shines the reasons to get rid of it. Once in awhile you'll see that we've turned it in a different direction, those are the days some one is being a jer but that is few and far in between. It's a benefit to us and we don't what those who are being jerks to stop the fun for everyone else.

As for Anna's mic/voice Ethan, I'll run it past her. The Beethoven board is very different then the board at our sister station, where Anna has spent more time. Each board is like an instrument and you have to find the right settings for your voice. When I'm on the air I have to adjust the mic and the levels for me, Eric has his own setting, Dan has his etc. Anna still has to find her's, that's why I'd like her to spend more time on the air and get used to Beethoven's board. When she's on the air at our sister station her voice is awesome! It's a matter of adjusting the Beethoven levels.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:43 pm

This is pathetic. :roll:

I'm also getting a bit annoyed by some of the violent references being made on the board. I get it enough on TV and in the newspaper. Last time I checked, this forum was for friendly discussions about fun subjects, with a little discourse occurring from time to time. There seems to be an element of hostility here these days that I find disturbing. I feel we need to remember we're all God's children, all equal first, and not cast general aspersions on others based on who they are or what they do. I felt we used to be above all that here on the BBB. The worst we ever did was go off on Wagner for his reputed anti-semitism, and whine about bagpipe music.

I feel this goes way beyond the "SSB" thread.

So, anyhow,

HOW 'BOUT THAT CLARA SCHUMANN & CLASSICAL MUSIC ON '45'S?!!!!

End of rant.

<small>[ 12-21-2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: operatenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dai bread » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:04 pm

There are a couple of things Nicole has mentioned that need a comment.

Firstly, she is right about security. If it's bad in radio, it's worse in television. Luckily for me, NZ is still relatively sane, but my colleagues & I have comments to make about the full moon...........

The second thing is what she is pleased to call "the guy thing". I'm afraid I have simply had enough of being told women can wear what they like & men mustn't touch or even look, let alone comment. Any woman who fronts up wearing a bare midriff, skimpy skirt or shorts, shows lots of cleavage, simply goes to the bottom of the heap IMO, along with tobacco users.

I have a growing sympathy with Muslims in this matter.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:07 pm

OT, I think you're romanticizing the past and making a big deal of some elements of the present. I too find this thread to be a little horny. but I think the violence you're refering to, and your call for a more regulated board are a little overboard. I think the board is still a friendly "place" and I don't understand:
There seems to be an element of hostility here these days that I find disturbing.
I sometimes felt that in the past but I think it is a periodic syndrome for many board users, occuring regardless of the actual atmosphere of the board.

<small>[ 12-21-2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: bignaf ]</small>
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:12 am

Stalking can be fatal. Rebecca Schaeffer (of My Sister Sam) was killed by a fan who went way too nuts. We all know about John Hinkley, who shot Reagan to impress Jody Foster. Some people are truly nutso, and people with celebrity tend to be the targets of their emotional follies. And that's not a good thing for anyone.

While I certainly understand that people who work in public tend to guard their private lives (and certainly have more reason that than, for example, I do), many people simply want to know a bit more about who they are seeing and hearing. One thing about this (and lots of other web boards) is the anonymity of the posters. While I've met a few other people who post here, most of us remain quite anonymous. What I know about Bones, for example, he has volunteered to me. I'm not particularly shy myself, but I also don't feel like I've ever been threatened by someone looking to intimidate someone who is well known (wonder why that is...). The on-air personalities don't quite have the same freedom of anonymity that we do, although about half the radio announcers I've known have used "stage" names.

I'm not sure who OT thinks is getting sexually worked up. jmfryar hasn't been making any indications that he's drooling, and I'm the only other one here who isn't afraid to tell someone they are nice looking. I believe I'm pretty safe in public, but people who don't know me, well, they don't know me, so I'm not offended by caution. But I am pleased by open and friendly people. And if that's "hostile," then I wonder what "friendly" is.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie