Does anyone read? Part II

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Does anyone read? Part II

Postby Marye » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:56 pm

[quote]Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
[b].Although I wouldn't call us loosers. :D
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:10 pm

[quote]Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
[b]Although I wouldn't call us loosers. :D )
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby EJA » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:24 pm

And I do read. I read the Hornblower series as a matter of fact. Lately not much fiction.

Recent reading included Me 'n' Henry, by Walter Swan, about his experiences growing up in Arizona when it was still nearly the frontier, and when the Great Depression hit. It was quite interesting reading, often humorous, sometimes sad. It's not the greatest piece of literature, but is, as I said, interesting.

Right now I'm reading Northwest Fights and Fighters. I forget the author's name right now, but I remember that his initials are C.T.B. I think his first name is Cyrus. Anyway, the subject is the Nez Perce and Modoc wars. I'm finished with the Nez Perce war, and about to start on the Modoc. Cyrus presents the Nez Perce war from the writings of combatants on both sides. Actually, the Nez Perce didn't write, but there are accounts of what they said. Anyway, Cyrus takes the side of the Nes Perze as far as justice of cause goes. I do as well, up to a point. That point is that I consider it barbarian to start a war protesting injustice by killing innocent, non-hostile non-combatants. I believe Chief Joseph would concur with me, but having been thrown into the war, he led his people brilliantly and magnificently. Since I live very more or less between the areas where these two wars took place, this book is of particular interest to me. Why the calvary didn't adopt Winchester repeaters is beyond me. The Nez Perce could fire 16 rounds before reloading. The cavalrymen had to load every round. This was an unfortunate handicap inasmuch as they were inferior in almost every other way to the Indians, except perhaps in numbers, for the task at hand, from survival skills to marksmanship to riding ability to tracking and stealth, the Indians were the masters by far. Still, the end was innevitable, and when Joseph saw this, he capitulated. There is a certain nobility in that too – not sacrificing his people for pride or some such nonsense.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:42 pm

Just finished "Nothing Like It In The World." Even if it is by Ambrose, it is a very interesting read.

About 6/7 of that way through "2 O'clock Eastern War Time." Mystery novel set in and around a radio station in 1943. They talk a lot about how radio was done back then.

Clive Cussler is always good.

Re-reading "The Miracle of Language" by Charlton Laird.

Just starting "Clan of the Cave Bear."

Finishing up "The Arms of Krupp" by Manchester (that's my lunchtime reading). Talk aboutan industrial empire...WOW!

On the shelf I've got a few more Cussler books, some more of the Clan series, a couple of light histories and "English: Our Marvelous Tongue"

Way too many books to read...and they keep writing more! :eek:
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:54 pm

Clan of the Cave Bear .... read it long ago and all of the series up until this last one. Can't remember the story after Valley of Horses.

How pitiful is that?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:20 pm

the Patrick O'Brien aubrey/maturin series.
Read em all, cant wait to see the movie.

oldie: Thornbirds

Recently: Lady Chatterly's Lover, Janet Evans "7-up".
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:36 pm

Finished reading the "Hornblower" series about a month ago.

Re-read The Chronicles of Narnia a few weeks ago.

I'm reading The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series now. (Just finished the hitchhiker's guide, and am starting on the Restaurant at the end of the Universe)

Read Ghost Soldiers (highly recommended), Missions Remembered, and Brother Astronomer recently.

I'm looking for a copy of The Screwtape Letters, but haven't found it in the local bookstore, so I'll probably have to order it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby treebeau » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:17 am

Don't forget your towel!

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:52 pm

Just finished Lois McMaster Bujold's Paladin of Souls and now I have to hunt down my copy of Curse of Chalion and re-read it. (Hmm. Have I lent it? Where? Gaack!) I highly recommend Bujold to anyone who hasn't already discovered her books.

Bought the download of Eric Flint's Grantville Gazette, Vol. I and enjoyed it. Looking forward to Ring of Fire in January.

Just started the new Valdemar volume, it will be a quick read.

(Where did I put Chalion. Drat!!)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:29 pm

Just finished reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven interesting concept, short read. I am reading The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald, author of Fall on your Knees which I loved

Anyone know this Canadian author?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:31 pm

Marye-

You asked about more books on Mary in reference to the Da Vinci Code... a friend suggested Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Richard Leigh, Henry Lincoln, and Michael Baigent. I just started it and wow! They spent 10 years researching the story of Jesus' blood line and the relationship with Mary. Good read.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:50 pm

Thank you NM, I will look into Holy Blood.. I saw that title when I was searching about for books along the same lines. I will add it to my wishlist... :D
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:25 pm

I just finished reading "Richter 10" by Mike McQuary and Arthur C. Clarke. Pretty good page-turner, although there are a few issues to be had with it.

I'm now reading "eBay Hacks" by David A. Karp. It's probably a useful text for "eBay 201." It reviews the basics pretty thoroughly, but it has some good stuff for someone with a three-digit rating. Dunno if I feel like attacking Perl yet.

Somehow I feel I'll be getting encouragement to do so, though.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:58 am

Originally posted by barfle:
...Dunno if I feel like attacking Perl yet....
Aw, go ahead. December 7 would be a humorous day to start. :D

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:05 am

I know I wrote that, but I can assure you I missed that particular meaning 100%!

It only took me about ten seconds to figure out what you meant. Feeling a bit soprano now...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Judybug » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:21 pm

I, also, am an avid reader. My reading taste is eclectic, and includes both fiction and nonfiction. I have two archive boxes of books, that I'm wading through. I keep telling myself not to buy more books, but that is an exercise in futility. I work two blocks from a used book store and live about 1/2 mile from Borders. Books are always coming home with me. Recent reading includes:

Daisy Fae and The Miracle Man by Fanny Flag
Diary of Anne Frank
Tales From The Secret Annex by Anne Frank
The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyal
Fast Food Nation (I cannot remember the name of the author)
Heaven's Coast by Mark Doty
The Source by Mark Doty

I'm currently reading The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy.
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of every day thinking.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:50 pm

Marye, I think we started something. Many people visit the BBB, check it out but don't post. I've received emails from several women who all suggest Brown's other book called Angels and Devils. Katherine in Norwalk CT says, "a great book to read in association with DaVinci Code. It gives a lot of the background." Eric is reading it and I've heard good things. Has anyone else read it?
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:55 pm

Interesting NM - but I think I might give Angels and Demons (I think it is called) a pass since the story and its formula are similar. I, personally, have to put distance between an author's work or I will tire of "him" (LOL) :D .

My preference at the moment would be to read: The Woman With the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalen and the Holy Grail by Margaret Starbird simply because a woman wrote this.. Has anyone read this one?

NM... did you finish Holy Blood?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:53 pm

Hi Marye-

I have not read Margaret Starbird's book. But another friend of mine did suggest it. I'll have to start that one once I'm finished with the Holy Grail. I'm about half-way through it right now. You have to read it Mary! The authors take a look at the Grail story from historical documents and research. The 10 years of research they did paid off. They found great facts and present them in a way so it does not read like a history text book. It's interesting, to the point and you don't want to put it down. I'll finish it this weekend and let you know my over all opinion.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:26 pm

Hi NM... I think I shall go after work and find both books, if I can. I might not have much time this weekend to be too far along but I will catch up. I look forward to reading what you think.

The world is sad place for me these days so - a little Goddess worship might help. ;)
Marye
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie