Does anyone read? Part II

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Does anyone read? Part II

Postby Marye » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:19 pm

I'm still on the same subject, NM....

I went to the independent bookstore I support (rather than those big chains so I have to order my books) on Friday to order Holy Blood and The Woman with the Alabastar Jar .... and my bookman, Ben, says, Mary, what about this one? It was called Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George. It never came up in my search for books on the topic. So I bought it. But I read a review on this book where one women who had read Da Vinci's Code went looking for more information on Mary Magdalene. Not unlike ourselves.

And NM? did you finish Holy Blood?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:52 pm

Hi Marye-

Nope have not finished Holy Blood. I read several books at once and right now I've been sucked into a book called Saving Graces. Good stuff! It's about 4 women in their 40's and their relationships with each other. Really enjoying it.

This weekend (during the snowstorm) I took a small hike to my local bookstore and spent the day there. The best way to spend a snowy New England Day is engulfed in a bookstore. I did find "Mary, Called Magdalene". I started to read it and ditched it. The writer has a great style, I'd like to read something else of his, but I did not enjoy his take on her life. From what I read he developed her life great as a child and adult but I did not enjoy the ending. Remember I skimmed this, but he had Jesus' body stolen by robbers and his supporters quickly run off to save the day and Mary gets ditched on the side. I did not read past that so he may have developed her further. It just seemed tragic and too much of an injustice to a women whom I've discovered to be much more important to be tossed aside. But if you read and find it takes a different turn let me know. I'd like to be proven wrong. I also found the book a bit to religious. He really pounds away at some of the Biblical aspects of the story. Of course you need to bring up religion in this story but it seemed a bit too preachy to me at times.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby jmfryar » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:55 pm

(currently assembling list of books to read for when I have casual reading time...I doubt that anyone really wants to read a treatise on Federal Taxes...)

If the subject is intriguing then I could highly recommend several books on the Knights Templar and the Black Madonna, upon which most of the fiction books are based...
jmfryar
3rd Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:38 pm

Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
Hi Marye-
"Mary, Called Magdalene".... From what I read he developed her life great as a child and adult but .... had Jesus' body stolen by robbers and his supporters quickly run off to save the day and Mary gets ditched on the side.
THE HORROR!!! :eek: :eek: I had not started this but oh geez do I hate the sound of this. If I find that your skimming proved true, I am writing the author and saying.. OY!!! What were you thinking. I will let you know.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:01 pm

Just picked up a paperback of "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. Got it at Wally World for something like $5.77. Will dive in tonight.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:29 pm

Margaret George is a guy??
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:18 pm

Why not? George Sand & George Elliot were both girls.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:55 pm

Good point Dai. Well Margaret is a chic (found a picture online). My bad, I was looking at the last name George, it's been a long few weeks here at work. Looking forward to the weekend!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:52 pm

Well, I was thinking of George Eliot, but Margaret George didn't look like a guy. You never can be too sure these days, though, so I thought I would check.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:08 pm

I'm about half way through Everybody's All-American by Frank DeFord.

So far so good. I really like his writing style. The story is (to this point) about a college football player who turned pro, as told by his nephew. It takes place in the south during the 50s and 60s, so there are several references to race relations in addition to several "coming of age" issues that the hero has to deal with.

It's definitely not a new work. It was copyrighted in 1981. I'll be reading quite a bit more of Frank DeFord's work in the future. This is the third book of his that I've read.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:21 pm

I like Frank DeFord's style in his radio commentary. Havent read anything by him.

Am in midst of (2nd time around) a disc-world book, "The Truth", by Terry Pratchett. He always makes me laugh, and think.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:32 pm

I am about 2/3 through "The Quest for Origins" by Kerry Howe. It's an overview of the ideas about Polynesian origins that have come & gone over the years, based on the assumption that the theories have said as much about their promoters as about the Polynesians. It's an interesting concept.

Then I will read Michael King's book, "The Penguin History Of NZ". It's apparently very readable. The book has sold about 30 000 copies in the 2 or 3 months it's been out. Not much by Northern Hemisphere standards, but a lot by ours. King's scholarship has been well proven over the years, so the book is widely regarded as accurate.

Keith Sinclair wrote the definitive book on NZ history some years ago, but a lot of work has been done in the 50 years or so that have passed since he wrote it, and King's book is regarded as a fitting update.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Moonlight » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:45 pm

Can anyone recommend a good Biography on Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart please
What is the Best modern Biography combining a compelling story of his life and his musical development?

Many Thanks
Moonlight. :)
"The moral law within us, and the starry sky above us"
Moonlight
5th Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:12 am

Over the holidays I enjoyed "Prey" by Michael Crichton and "The King of Torts" by John Grisham.

Next on my list is a new one by Amy Tan called "The Opposite of Fate."

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby bigcat4jesus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:47 am

I just started Bruce Catton's trilogy The Army of the Potomac with Vol 1, Mr. Lincoln's Army. Excellent so far. Painting a more flattering picture of George McClellan than I personally agree with, but, hey - that's why we read different authors.
Otter: "This situation calls for a really stupid gesture on someone's part!"
Bluto: "And we're just the guys who can do it!"

- Tim Matheson & John Belushi, "National Lampoon's Animal House"
bigcat4jesus
Section Player

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:54 am

Reading "Cruise of the Cachalot" by Frank Bullen. I last read it about fifteen years ago. It's one of my favorite's. I found it in the basement while looking for a book for my son to read.

I also found my old Herman Melville collection. I think I'll start on it when I'm done.

There's nothing like some good old stories of the ships and the sea for winters reading.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:59 pm

I read "Two Years Before the Mast" a while ago. It gave an intriguing insight into life on a sailing ship. The most surprising thing to me was the small numbers of crew. About 9 men, if I remember correctly.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:28 pm

Originally posted by dai bread:
I read "Two Years Before the Mast" a while ago. It gave an intriguing insight into life on a sailing ship. The most surprising thing to me was the small numbers of crew. About 9 men, if I remember correctly.
I found it really amazing to contrast that to the crews of war ships of the same size and period. I read the Aubrey/Maturin series first (Patrick O'Brien, ex: "Master and Commander"), where they stuff the ships as full of men as they can, and where speed in all things is paramount. Then I read the Dana book (2 years before the mast) - wow! Different goals, different solutions.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:25 pm

Things haven't changed much in that regard. A Oil tanker or large freighter, which is designed to be a commercial success, will have the bare minimum number of crewmen, while a naval vessel perorming the same duties will have hundreds. Of course, the naval vessel will be fitted with weaponry, which will require gunners, etc. to maintain.

Whaleships had more men than were needed for sailing the vessel, as the harpooners and boatmen were not required to be able seamen. They had to have enough to man four or five whaleboats, while still maintaining enough on board to handle the ship while the boats were out. By reading Bullen's work, you find out that this left barely enough to handle the "trying out" of the whale, so they usually let the ship drift during this manpower-intensive work. Unless, of course, they were not in open-water, where ship-handling would still be necessary even during the cutting up of the whale.

Bullen addresses the different manning of vessels in "Cruise of the Cachalot", since he has sailed on all types of vessels except warships. I recommend the book to anyone interested in whaling, ships, or even geography. It's a very good read. I thought my son might find it interesting since we had visited New Bedford and Mystic Seaport this past June.

I read "Two years before the mast" a few years ago. I have a copy at home, maybe I'll re-read it when I finish with Melville.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:41 pm

Since we are on the topic of the sea, journeys and the testing of nature - I highly recommend "The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk" by Jennifer Niven. Niven does an amazing job of telling the story of the Karluk. You have to read this book. It's outstanding what this crew went through when the Karluk was destroyed by ice. They had to live on the ice for a year and wait until spring for rescue. Some survived and some met horrible deaths. Good read.

Niven also wrote Ada Blackjack: A True Story of Survival in the Arctic. The description from the Publisher describes this book best, this is a must read too and it's a true story believe it or not. "It was controversial explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson who sent four young men and Ada Blackjack into the far North to colonize desolate, uninhabited Wrangel Island. Only two of the men had set foot in the Arctic before. They took with them six months' worth of supplies on Stefansson's theory that this would be enough to sustain them for a year while they lived off the land itself. But as winter set in, they were struck by hardship and tragedy. As months went by and they began to starve, they were forced to ration their few remaining provisions. When three of the men made a desperate attempt to seek help, Ada was left to care for the fourth, who was too sick to travel. Soon after, she found herself totally alone. Upon Ada's miraculous return after two years on the island, the international press heralded her as the female Robinson Crusoe. Journalists hunted her down, but she refused to talk to anyone about her harrowing experiences. Only on one occasion -- after being accused of a horrible crime she did not commit -- did she speak up for herself. All the while, she was tricked and exploited by those who should have been her champions."
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie