Does anyone read? Part II

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Does anyone read? Part II

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:19 pm

Nicole,

I read a book many years back that dealt with the loss of a whaling expedition in the 1800's, or early 1900's, in the artic. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't recall the title or author of the book, or even teh ships involved. It is particularly embarrassing since I saw a program on the History Channel quite recently that dealt with the same subject.

The whaling expedition was secondary to the story of survival after the ships were trapped in the ice. Those that survived did so by dragging one or more of the whaleboats across the ice for several miles to find open water, then travelling through the artic in open boats, occassionally having to portage in order to cross the ice. Eventually they split up, whether due to the loss of one of the boats, because they were overloaded, or some simply decided to take their chances on foot rather than by boat I do not recall.

Hopefully, someone here well recognize the events and help me with a title. I seem to recall that it was a good read, but had quite forgotten it until I saw the History Channel program.

Anyone?

BTW, I finished "Cruise of the Cachalot" and am starting Melville's "Typee".
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:56 pm

Hi Marye-

Just wanted to give you an update. I stillhave not finished Holy Blood. I was sidetracked by the Saving Grace (great book). My goal is finish it before the months end. I'm also reading Tolkein's Silmarillion.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:20 pm

Hello NM - I purchased the Holy Blood myself and got sidetracked with an Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus), Lost Souls by Michael Collins and The Light of the Day by Graham Swift, the latter I haven't finished. I did pick up a few more books and an essay or two Mary M as well that I haven't looked at. So I am well behind. But thank you for keeping me up to date though... I will let you know what I learn if anything startling.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:36 pm

Hi Y.R.H.,

I've read the Silmarillion a few times. If you haven't read it, it provides great background information on Middle Earth, and gives substance to all of the references made in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. However, it's extremely dry reading, and I feel you've really got to want to learn in order to persevere.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:52 pm

I don't think it's dry reading. the dry reading comes in the extensive volumes of his son concerning middle earth. I like Silmarilion. it's has a nice archaic-like style.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:10 pm

Nice to hear from someone who found it [Silmarillion] readable.
I found it deadly dry :( . Perhaps I shall try it again as an adult.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:49 pm

It's still deadly dull. There's no story. It's all scenery and history (of unreal events, yet!) and background. No plot.

Even technical reports are more interesting. :(
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:18 am

Reading Tolkien is like eating sawdust to me.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:24 am

Gee Barfle, I didn't know you liked eating sawdust...

:D
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:09 pm

Yeah the Silmarillion is dry. I keep falling asleep when I read it. But I want to get through it, it's full of tons of great info. Part of the dry aspect I think comes from the fact that Tolkein did not write the book, he kept notes and his son put the book together from his notes, letters and writings. Makes the "story" aspect of it bland.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:15 pm

the silmarilion rocks!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:37 am

I'm reading A Game of Thrones by George Martin. Great Book! It's the first in a series of four. Has anyone read the rest of the series or know if there is a plan to go beyond the fourth book? I'm loving the first and would like to continue through the series, if someone has an opinion on the books I'd love to hear it.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:07 pm

Don't know this series... A Game of Thrones by George Martin at all. I am interested in hearing some opinions.

I just mentioned to NM about the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich... the first book is "One for the Money". Series of 9 books so far, Stephanie Plum is a Bounty Hunter...These books make me howl with laughter... of course maybe you have to be a woman to appreciate them .... :D

I just picked up Elle, by Douglas Glover.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:41 am

NM: How much you enjoy the Game of Thrones series depends on how well you can keep track of the medievalesque politics and the assorted semi-weird characters. I have to take notes.

If you're enjoying the George Martin books, you might like Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series. Also a medieval setting, but the characters are a little more solid.

Right now, I'm reading Mercedes Lackey's The Fairy Godmother and enjoying it. Just finished Eric Flint's Ring of Fire. Short stories, and a novella, set in the 1632 universe. All you alternate-history folks, and you know who you are by now, probably have these books. The rest of you might take a look at them.

Happy reading,

Selma

<small>[ 01-21-2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Selma in San Diego ]</small>
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:50 pm

I had to be out of town for a couple of days, so I took along L. Sprague De Camp's The Ancient Engineers. It's quite an interesting read, heavily documented, but not nearly so dry as most history books. If any of you have read any of his science fiction or fantasy books, you'll be familiar with his style of writing.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:51 pm

Rereading "Annals of the Time Patrol" Poul Anderson.
just finished "Mother Load" by......(yeah, him....). That one has some fascinating alien baddies in it.

Les Miserables is sitting on the shelf waiting for a quiet weekend - say around July....

Thinking about reading the Narnia series again.
They are in a box in some garage somewhere (either at the new house or at a parents house) (C.S. Lewis).
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby eaphil » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm

I recently finished "Ever is a Long Time" -- nonfiction by W. Ralph Eubanks, an African-American who grew up in Mississippi in the 1960s and 1970s and is currently Director of Publishing at the Library of Congress.

He left Mississippi after college with no intentions of returning. After finding his parents' names on a declassified list of people watched by a secret state segregation organization, however, he returned in the 1990s to learn more.

It's a fascinating story. He sits face-to-face with men involved in the spy organization. Rather than bitterness and anger, he is able to extend forgiveness.

Although he and I grew up under different circumstances (and I am a few years older) in Mississippi, so much of what he writes about is common to us both. It's a story about the strength of family, about dark and terrible times, and about change.

The writing is good. The lessons are important, as he writes at the end of the book:

"As the stories move from the sins of the past to the seeds of redemption in the present, the rhythm of the tales moves you to get up and dance for joy. As the dancing begins, one story ends and another begins.

"The story of Mississippi is one that never ends. It echoes through every bend of its winding rivers and across every inch of land within its borders. I'm glad I came back to hear these stories. For better or worse, they are now a part of my lore. Most of all, I want to keep them alive because the lessons they hold must never be forgotten...."

<small>[ 01-23-2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: eaphil ]</small>
A society is generally as lax as its language.
eaphil
4th Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:19 pm

Patricia Cornwell, "The Last Precinct",
one of the Kay Scarpetta stories.

The technical details and the main character's introspection both appeal to me.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:35 pm

Hello Piq,

I have read most of the Kay Scarpetta series. Foresenic science has always appealed to me too. There is the Kathy Reichs series of forensic anthropology; somewhat similar to Patricia Cornwell's. Tempe Brenan is the character and works in Montreal's Laboratoire de Medecine Legale examining recovered bodies. Deja Dead is her first one.

A bit of a hijack alert here.. :eek:
Does Mel Gibson's new movie interest anyone?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:02 pm

Hi Marye-

My husband and I are going to see it, just to see what all the hype is about. I heard it's very bloody. Just want to see it so I can find out why everyone has their panties in a bunch.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie