Opera

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Opera

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:52 am

I read in "The Onion" that Bill Gates had trademarked the numbers "0" and "1", so that he could claim copyrights on anything written in binary code.

If he could copyright "Bill" and "Gates", he could claim royalties on every invoice paid, right up till you arrive at the Pearly Gates, the copyright to which he would also own.

<small>[ 01-23-2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Shapley ]</small>
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:13 pm

Originally posted by Shapley:
I read in "The Onion" that Bill Gates had trademarked the numbers "0" and "1", so that he could claim copyrights on anything written in binary code.
I've heard there are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who read binary, and those who dont.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:22 pm

Originally posted by operatenor:
One thing I believe the COC website got wrong, however: They stated Turandot premiered in 1919. I believe it was actually 1926, especially since Puccini didn't die until 1926.
:D :D Hahaha OT... ... they fixed the site and sent me an email saying, "Thank you for showing us we are idiots"... No.. no.. I jest.. They sent me an email saying .... Any other errors you have spotted?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:49 pm

Thanks, Mary.

SDO Turandot latest:
We had our "student dress rehearsal" last night. It's called that, since, even though it's technically a rehearsal, we have a house full of students watching, so normally it's treated as a performance. That being said, it was a shock to most of us "old-timers" to hear our Calaf "mark" through a great deal of his performance. For those who aren't familiar with the term, marking in singing is singing softly, or an octave low in the case of treble voices, in order to not work the voice too hard. It's mostly done while rehearsing, as one would sing the same passage over and over. Since we treat the student dress like a performance, it's customary for everyone to give it their all. Aside from the custom, most of us feel if we have an audience, we should give them a show. As far as anyone, including staff, knew, he wasn't doing it because he was sick, which is about the only acceptable reason to do it in a performance.
I understand that contracturally he wasn't obligated to give it a full performance, but nevertheless I felt it did a disservice to the kids, most of whom had spent a good deal of time studying and researching this opera before they came to see it.
(Of course, some of us joked, wondering if he'll remember NOT to mark on opening night. I can see the reviews now....)
Our Turandot marked some in the third act, but I'd like to think it was because she was following his example. For the most part, she gave it all she had, which was impressive, albeit technically questionable.
The rest of the principals, especially Liu, Ping, Pang and Pong gave superb performances, IMHO, and the chorus was phenomenal, even if my opinion may be somewhat biased. :D
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:26 pm

tenors...
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Marye » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:27 pm

How unfortunate for the students in the audience.

As for the Alfano ending? Didn't happen. I read in the Globe that Bradshaw (Director of COC) changed his mind. In the same article the reviewer remarked what big sissies they were. TODAY, his review of the production received a big thumbs down even though, and I am sure he hated to admit it, the audience loved it. :D

I see Falstaff this Sunday...
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:30 pm

I listened yesterday to the Leinsdorf Turnadot. Leinsdorf stinks. Nilsson however doesn't. all the singers are recrded too closely putting the orchestra at an disadvantage. except for Nilsson. (I can imaginr her waiving the mic away majestically saying: I don't need THAT). in the part where the Tenor and Soprano sing in unison going up to a high C in the Riddle scence ("l'enigmi sono tre") Nillson completely obliterates the cute-voiced Bjorling. even though she's recorded far and he's close. you gotta love her power!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:05 pm

Hey, piq, since no one else did, let me be the first to congratulate you on a very clever binary joke.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:50 pm

I watched "Excalibur" (anyone seen it?) on TV the other day, and the soundtrack is mostly Wagner. So I have to admit, I actually enjoyed the music, particularly the Siegfried Funeral March. Maybe i just liked it because of the Arthurian context it was placed in, but anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for good Wagner recordings?
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:56 am

I first saw Excalibur on HBO about fifteen years ago. I picked it up on laser disc, and recently found a deal on the DVD (which is still waiting to be viewed). IMNSHO, it was overlooked for an Oscar for cinematography. It is probably the best sleeper (not the kind that puts you to sleep, the kind the public missed) movie in my collection.

Of course, Wagner was put to excellent use in Apocalypse Now.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:37 am

Excalibur was my introduction to Carmina Burana. I greatly enjoyed that movie.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby The Great Carouser » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:52 am

Originally posted by barfle:

Of course, Wagner was put to excellent use in Apocalypse Now.
I agree wholeheartedly and commend the director's remake that was released about 3 years ago to you. It adds almost an hour of footage and none of it is wasted time.
"I adore art...when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear"-Giuseppe Verdi
The Great Carouser
3rd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:04 pm

Review: San Diego Union 'Turandot' Production Srikes a Stunning Gong

Pages of Interest

:roll:

<small>[ 01-26-2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: dkm32 ]</small>
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:46 pm

I liked Piq's joke '10' (misspelled 'too'). Didn't get to see it until this morning, so sorry for the late notice.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:19 pm

Yes, the joke was exceedingly clever, and I was remiss in not acknowledging it. :(
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:50 pm

Bravo to the large chorus! And too bad about the two leads being screechy and weak.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby The Great Carouser » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:22 pm

Originally posted by barfle:
Bravo to the large chorus! And too bad about the two leads being screechy and weak.
Easy for you to say. I've paid for tickets!!
:o :D
"I adore art...when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear"-Giuseppe Verdi
The Great Carouser
3rd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:14 pm

Major "DOH!" on my part.

I believed that a local production of "Don Giovanni" was coming up in a month or two. I went to my program from the last opera to get the dates, so I could start to make plans.

DOH!!

It was last week. I completely missed it.

Regards,
Tim "Homer" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:24 pm

Too bad. I really like the "Kill da Wabbit" aria from that one.

Oops, wrong opera, doc.....

:D

<small>[ 02-10-2004, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: operatenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby treebeau » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:18 am

LOL, had me going for a sec there.

Regards,