Names for Children and/or Pets (aka children)

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Names for Children and/or Pets (aka children)

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:26 pm

So I thought I'd take an interesting poll and see what people name their pets and/or children. (although pets do double as children, this I do understand)

So far, my husband and I just have two cats, Chloe (a strawberry blonde tabby) and Ty (our male black and white tabby/attack panther, according to my husband).

So far, we've agreed on two names for children, which are still two years away, if all goes according to our plans.
We would like to name a girl
Haley Marie
and a boy
Sean Alexander (after my husband).
I have other names picked our for future children (we want four), but since they are so far in the future, I won't share unless someone asks.

So, what names did everyone else pick??
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Re: Names for Children and/or Pets (aka children)

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:44 pm

Cats, past and present:
Snowflake (she was white)
Surprise (Her wide open eyes made her look surprised)
Poltergeist (stuff just mysteriously moved to other rooms when he was around)
Hobgoblin (his daughter - and a cranky witch of a cat in early life. My all time favorite cat, therefore affectionately called "Stupid")
Boo Hiss (aka Boo: he hissed at everytihng, and you couldnt call him hiss, because that sounded like you were hissing at him thus scared him..... )
PiqaBoo (Boo Hiss's companion, she has a light bar across her eyes that makes her look like she's peeking thru a fence slat, plus she was much smaller than Boo (although not 0.000000001 times his size) so it was a nerd joke).

Dogs:
Padraig O'Murphy (aka Paddy: sheltie, son of dog named murphy)

Horses:
- came prenamed. Didnt change them.
My sister did:
Her black shetland was Almond Joy until we had him gelded. That day she changed his name to Mounds.

Hamsters, Guinea Pigs, Rats - all arrived prenamed from former owners.

Chickens - cant remember why or what we named em, except my best friend named one good layer "Henrietta". She was a city girl, forgive her.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:46 pm

Ohhh good topic!

IF (note the big fat if) hubby and I ever had kids for a girl it would be Harley Quinn (Batman fans will understand) or Natalia and a boy will be Bruno Jr.

Now, our current children (our pets) are all named based on their personalities. One cat is named Artie Fartie b/c of his gas problem, Aligator b/c of her desire to kills small animals, Bob and Lou just because they are brothers and I though Bob and Lou went well together. Nina is a Nina b/c she was my husbands cat before I came along and she's his little girl. The dogs are Bear, he is a lab/pit mix and looks like a bear. Vida is a Vida b/c she was born on a day a family member passed away and it only seemed fitting she be named life.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:54 pm

I'll kick in since I have a little time.

We had a kitten with a white circle around it's neck. We named it "Wisk" because it had a Ring around the Collar. Fogeys should get that.

Nicole, I thought you were going to claim some interest in Santeria, hence Bob-a-Lou. Aye !

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:58 pm

Originally posted by treebeau:
We had a kitten with a white circle around it's neck. We named it "Wisk" because it had a Ring around the Collar. Fogeys should get that.
Boo Hoo! I qualify for Fogeydom! :( :( :( :mad:

(GREAT name!)
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:00 pm

Hey, even non-fogeys get the wisk joke (or at least I do, does that make me a fogey?)
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:46 pm

We have a female cat named "Momma cat", a grey cat named "Grady", another female named "Momma Ugly" (she used to be called ugly, till she had offspring). Her offspring are called "Little Ugly" and "Grey Ugly". We have a long haired cat named "Tinkles", and two black and white cats named "Captain Morgan" and "Patches".

We have a guinea, whose name changes depending upon my mood.

We have two chickens named "Zack" and "Voyanne".

We have a mutt dog named "Messiah" (We found her on Easter Sunday), and a black lab mix named Oreo.

We also have a fish named "Nemo".

We had a kitten named "Sengi", since he got trapped in a rubbish pile I was burning and got singed. However, he had a penchant for staying under the car hood, and wound up taking a trip to town, where he now resides.

<small>[ 06-01-2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Shapley ]</small>
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:48 pm

Let's see. Melissa Catherine (abrupt left turn from Sharon Anne), Anthony Gilbert (apparently now known only as Fish) and Deborah Irene. Oddly, Melissa and Deborah are the same name in, respectively, Greek and Hebrew. Odd, that.

Anthony was the only one born without an other-gender backup name. Deb was the only one named for a personal hero(ine) of mine; I've always admired the Deborah in the Book of Judges.

Pets: there've been so many. Current are Thomas Edward Peabody Pintoes and Ming-tu Paperbiter Pintoes. Former dogs have been Gina Marie Stupidog, Scooter Rusty Dragon, MillieMae, and Fluffy Twohearts. Notable former cats have been The Emperor Ming the Magnificent, Juniper (she had all the personality of your average yard shrub but was a fine mouser), Robert RedFurred, and Pagan Blackheart the YardCat.

The fish are Blue and Blanche.

<small>[ 06-01-2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Selma in San Diego ]</small>
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:58 pm

I had two cats when I lived on the edge of civilization in Temecula. I wanted to name them CC1 and CC2(Coyote Chow1 and 2). I was vetoed, and their names became Odus and Buckwheat. One succumbed to my dog, the other, presumably, to coyotes.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:10 pm

Lots of cats in our history - We had a pair from the same litter, both females. My wife wanted to call them George and Gracie, I wanted to call them Shoes and Socks. So we ended up with Gracie and Shoes. Eventually we adopted a stray male and called him George. Never had a cat named Socks.

Critters presently running our house are Tang ('cause she's orange) and Buzz ('cause that's what he says a lot).

And, piq, I got the joke, although it took a bit. I also got the wisk joke, so I'm a fogey and a nerd.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:53 pm

Originally posted by Shapley:
We have a guinea...
Pig, or hen?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:46 am

First, the children.

Jeremy, named after the hero of a novel my wife was reading at the time. (Winston Graham, I think, "Poldark" series).

Alice, because we liked the name and it turns out there was an Alice in pretty well every branch of the family.

Reuben, named after his great-grandfather. We were getting dynastic by the time he came along.

The pets: Cat, Massey, after a British make of tractor, because of her purr; and the Stupid Pathetic Ugly Dog, (mis)named by his former owner. We got him when said owner moved to Aus., and left the name because the dog had been trained to answer to it by then.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:31 am

We named our son Jean Pierre. My wife wanted Jean Luc because she was a "Star Trek Next Generations" nut. Since I like classical music I thought why not Jean Pierre, ala Rampal? At least it was better than Jacques-Cousteau, which is what I was calling him before he was born.

Regards,
Tim "Francois" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:28 am

Selma,

RE:<<Pig, or hen?>>

Hen. And even though I'm an old sailor, I don't appreciate her turning my deck into a poopdeck, if you catch my drift.

We used to have a dozen Guineas, but the coyotes, raccoons, and dogs have thinned to down to one, which we've had for two years now. She cozies up with the cats and dogs, and hangs out near the house, which is how she has survived so long. Why the dogs haven't killed her, after killing several others, I haven't figured out.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Marye » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:42 am

Our old cat was called Fezziewig (Scrooge's boss)
Our two kittens, brother and sister

Jib and Genoa....

Old sailors should get this... ahem...
:D ;) :p
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:31 am

I also had a cat we named Gary, after SpongeBob's pet snail. If you've ever seen the cartoon, you'll know of which I speak.

<small>[ 06-02-2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: OperaTenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:39 am

In college we were adopted by a stray tomcat who we named TC^2 (TC-squared), for Totally Cool Cat.

My mom once named a cat "Guggin" because "it looked like a Guggin". the cat turned into a fabulous hunter.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:40 am

Well, I listed our current pets, I guess I could list our old pets:
My parents have had several dogs in the course of my lifetimes:
Starsky and Hutch when I was little. Obviously named after the tv show, but since Dad was not a huge fan, he goofed and named them backwards. Hutch was black and Starsky was blonde.
After Hutch died as a puppy, we found a dog that I named Lady (being five will do that for you).

Two years ago, after Lady and Starsky had both passed on, Mom found a dog she named Cooter (don't ask why, I couldn't tell you)

After Cooter, Mom became sad, so I brought her two labs for Mother's Day. They're chocolates, and they are currently named Slick (my dad loves to play billiards) and Rounder (he has a very round face)

We had a cat growing up that adopted us and she was such a pain in the butt that Mom named her Kitty-Butt. Very odd name.

We then got a cat named Tessie who had the nickname of the "Flying Tesserini" when she was a kitten. But that was 13 1/2 years ago, and she now is a lump on my parents' bed most of the time.

We had a cat for a while that adopted my parents and lived in their garage, but he ran away when I left for college. His name was Stan and he was a beautiful tuxedo cat.

Well, those are all the pets that I've known. I imagine that the names we pick out are not quite as imaginative as some of the other ones you guys have picked. . .but we try!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby haggis » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 am

My dog is named "Haggis;" our 11 Y.O. Daschund is named “Pooka the Hun” Actually; she’s the third “Pooka the Hun” Daschund we’ve had. We liked the name and just passed it on to the others.

My border collie who died a few years back was named “Shandy.” In England, and I presume in Australia and NZ, a Shandy is a lady’s drink of half beer and half “lemonade’ (7-Up). Since she was such a pretty lady I thought it was an appropriate name.

I’ve never owned a cat (I’m allergic to cat fur) but if I did, I think I would use OT’s suggestion; “Coyote Chow”
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby haggis » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:20 am

P.S.
I forgot one. Our second daschie was a purebred long hair daschund registered with the Royal Kennel Club in England. Her sire was named "Night Banner" presumably for his black tail that stuck straight up in the air when he was excited and her dame was named "Erotic Aroma" presumably because.......well, actually I don't think I know and I don't really want to hazard a guess

Anyway, her RKC registered name was "Night Banner's erotic dumdum"

go figure
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Next

Return to Nicole Marie