Gotta see it!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Gotta see it!

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:23 pm

Nicole:

RE:<<It was on US History.com and in a movie! It must be true!>>

Actually I remembered it from my Catholic School education. What! I remembered something? Must be just the short-term memory that's failing me - maybe I'm pregnant??? Anyhow, I had to Google it to find the name of the Pope that issued the Papal Bull proclaiming the Line of Demarcation.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:25 pm

Speaking of the Pope, the Spanish word for Pope is very interesting ... It is the only word (that I can think of right now) that can be preceded by either the masculine or feminine article.

Of course, the meaning changes: El papa means the pope, while la papa means the potato.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Ajax » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:44 pm

Nicole,
I enjoy your perspective, and agree that the demographic landscapes are ever changing. You and I would probally differ a great deal on how future issues should be handled though. If nothing else, I think you would at least "agree to disagree" on topics when they arise and keep the personal attacks to a minimum.
Ajax
4th Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:51 pm

Rich, radio and policia can also have el or la in front of them. . .for a couple of other words. . .dentista too, I believe.
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:53 pm

Originally posted by Shapley:
Nicole:

RE:<<It was on US History.com and in a movie! It must be true!>>

Actually I remembered it from my Catholic School education. [i]What! I remembered something?
Then it REALLY must be true. ;)

Ajax, I'm sure we may disagree on future immigration issues. But we must keep in mind that it's ever changing and we can not keep up with it. We start laws and programs after the fact and by then it's to late in many cases. In most of our family histories we all were immigrants into this country. For some it's more recent, but if we keep in mind personal family struggles then we can be a bit more understanding to those who are coming over now.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:08 pm

Saxy,

El radio is radius or the element radium,
la radio is a radio.

Eliminating professions, there are a few more I could think of. Most of them are closely related, but there are a few others.

El moral is a blackberry,
la moral is morale.

El corte is a cut,
la corte is a court.

<small>[ 06-10-2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: RichC ]</small>
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:11 pm

Saxy,

Related to papa is cura (either a cure or a priest)
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:18 pm

Wow! World history and Spanish lessons in a single thread! And it was supposed to be about some left-wing propoganda film. This has to rate up there with one of the all-time great hijacks!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:24 pm

Take this thread to CUBA!!
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:25 pm

Shap,

I guess that there just isn't much interest in discussing MM's latest movie (almost called it a documentary).
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:25 pm

Do they speak Spanish or Portugese there?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:26 pm

They speak some interesting Spanish there.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:27 pm

Aw Rich, my Spanish is in need of usage. . .everyone down here does not speak the Spanish I learned, they speak "Texican" and it is nothing close, mostly.
Some of the ladies around here are shocked to learn that I can understand them though, but I usually keep that as my little secret. ;)
Glad you know Spanish too. Mine's so rusty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:28 pm

I know how you feel. Knowing that they don't know you know it is interesting in rest rooms!
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Ajax » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:28 pm

Yes, I would agree we a far behind on keeping the illegal immigration issue under control. But I would not agree the conditions of todays situation are the same as the days of the first Euro's to north america. The manner in which we deal with it would also differ considerably. That's fine though. I'm done being an underdog for the week.
Ajax
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:34 pm

Ajax,

We don't elect a new underdog until Tuesdays. :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:34 pm

Saxy,

I just finished re-reading the original edition (1960, or so) of The Miracle of Language by Charlton Laird and in the final chapter when he discusses "world languages" he talks about how fractured Spanish is becoming and predicts that soon, Latin American Spanish may not be understood in Spain.

His prediction is that Latin American Spanish will become a proto-Latin American, from which several other languages will evolve. I think we can see some of that just in the differences between Cuban, Northern Mexican and Panamanian Spanish (let alone Agrentina!).

It is an intersting, but dated book (someone else has written a book with the same title) and his predictions are interesting. it takes many centuries for a language to evolve and now with all of the increased travel, we may see some of these Spanish dialects drawing closer together.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Ajax » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:38 pm

Tuesdays! Jeez.
"No rest for the wicked"
Ajax
4th Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:50 pm

Rich, When I was studying Spanish (and had teachers from several difference countries), I noticed an enormous difference in the languages that they actually spoke.
My first professor was from Chile, my second from Spain, my third was American, my fourth was from Puerto Rico, and my final one was from Spain. There were huge differences in the way that they taught and the accent that they spoke with. Don't even try to mention the differences in the words that they used.
Did the book that you read predict that the languages could be as different as Spanish and Portuguese?
I find it so amazing, and I think that Spanish is one of the most beautiful languages. It carries the capacity for so much description, it's absolutely amazing!

Ok all, with 10 minutes to go- tomorrow has been listed as a day of mourning for State of Texas employees, so my fun self will be absent from the board until Monday.
I hope you all have a good weekend!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:53 pm

Originally posted by Saxy Buff:

Some of the ladies around here are shocked to learn that I can understand them though, but I usually keep that as my little secret. ;)
Saxy, I run into the same problem too but with Portuguese. When I walk into Portuguese owned stores, I'll hear the girls comment on my gold in Portuguese. They wonder why I'm wearing it since it's obvious I'm not Portuguese. (Blond, blue eyes) They always get a shock when I reply thanks my Portuguese husband bought it for me in Portuguese. Cracks me up. You should reply to the ladies in your area.

Note: Portuguese gold starts at 19K, it's VERY Yellow and most Americans think it's fake. American jewelers are one of the biggest rip offs. Don't buy 14K at the prices they give you! Find a jeweler that sells gold with no price tags. You should walk into a store and ask for the price of a piece; they then weigh it and then give you the price based off the day’s market price for gold.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie