Gotta see it!

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Gotta see it!

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:54 pm

I recently worked with a woman who was Bolivian who managed a small electronic manufacturing plant that was probably 75% Mexican workers. She said that there wasn't any real problem speaking with the Mexicans, but it wasn't quite like talking to her own family.

I can only imagine it's a bit like an American talking to an Australian, or maybe a New Zealander (and I confess I can't tell them apart by listening). Maybe dai bread can, but I would guess he has more experience than I do.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:04 pm

Slang, of course, varies from country to country.

In central america, unlike Mexico, they use the 'voseo' form.

Also, it seems to me that in Mexico the formal future tense is almost being replaced by the present tense or the voy + infinitive, which is like I'm going to whatever.

Saxy, I got the impression that Laird felt the dialects could become as dissimilar as Spanish and Portugese.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby Ajax » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:15 pm

New Zealanders (kiwis) have a deeper accent than the Aussies, generally speaking. I "dating" a kiwi lady (and rugby player) who was living in Newport Beach, RI. I learned alot about life down there, but on occasion had to ask for clarification... And boy did the claws come out then...hehe
Ajax
4th Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:06 pm

Originally posted by Ajax:
A for Piq:
1) English, Dutch, and probally some Spaniards and Portugese, whom loved sailing more than most.
2) Method of lawful Admission? The laws we have now work just fine with me. My town has many brought Somalians over for the last ten years, and I am not protesting that. They came legally.
The English and Dutch have had markedly different methods of gov't for some centuries....
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:25 am

It's also covered loosely in a novel called "The Family" by Mario Puzo. I know, I know, NOVEL doesn't equal truth, but it makes for interesting reading anyway.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie