Pick your noodle

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Pick your noodle

Postby rwcrooks » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:18 pm

Barfle,

I heard a great side-by-side comparison of My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine in which the DJ faded from one to the other and then back again and agin. You really had a hard time telling where one song started and the other ended.

But one of the most foolish music lawsuits I ever heard of was when Neil Young's record label sued him for "not sounding like Neil Young" on his latest (at the time) record.
rwcrooks
3rd Chair

Postby haggis » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:39 pm

C.Net

"Two anti-spyware bills are being readied in time for a hearing Thursday in the U.S. House of Representatives"
I'm not sure these are a good idea, but I have to admit that my knowledge of all thing "cookies" is less than complete.

Maybe someone more aware of the potential “unintended consequences” can comment?
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby barfle » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:32 pm

It's difficult for me to come up with what unintended consequences might result from these bills, but I can cite a recent fiasco that happened here in Virginia a month or so ago.

Some legislator came up with the idea that the blue laws (those that force businesses to close on Sunday, the Christian Sabbath) had outlived their usefulness. On this topic, I agree. Separation of church and state and all that. Anyway, they (whoever they are) thought they had dug up all the laws on the topic, listed them, and wrote a bill repealing them all. Unfortunately, they missed one that apparently had been overridden by one that was being repealed, so it would have again taken effect, and it said something about businesses being required to give their employees Sundays off. So if you're a supermarket, or any business large enough to hire people, and you want to be open on Sunday, you have to give your staff the day off anyway. Fortunately, they caught the problem before the bill was enacted.

[disclaimer]This rendition of actual events was taken from my memory of newspaper accounts, so there may well be errors in fact in it.[/disclaimer]

When it comes to tracking software, many web sites (particularly those that sell you things) put a little file affectionately called a "cookie" on your hard drive. This allows them to keep track of who you are so you don't have to log in on every screen. Beethoven.com does this as well, so it knows when barfle or OperaTenor or Shapley or audiogirl pops in to post a message, we don't have to log in either.

Whether or not these bills would affect how cookies operate, I have no idea. But when lawyers start trying to dictate technology, the general public rarely does anything but lose.
:mad:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:30 pm

Haggis,

Given the effectiveness of Congress' efforts to get rid of Spam, I would expect cookie monsters galore if this gets enacted.

Congress required the "remove from list" link at the bottom of spam messages. Unfortunately, most of those links served a dual purpose: clicking on them validated the e-mail address for the spammers, and it provided it to an ever-growing list of spammers. The more you opted to be removed from e-mail lists, the more lists you found yourself on! :mad:

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Previous

Return to Nicole Marie