Best Ever Soundtracks

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Best Ever Soundtracks

Postby hal 9000 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:41 pm

Good afternoon, Gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. Plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January, 1992...

Well, let me start by saying that it sucks to be Johnny-come-lately to a thread that has been in existence for awhile! I spent the last hour reading all of the posts on this topic, but I really liked the subject and wanted to see what everyone had to say before I commented. That being said, it's time to play catch up. :)

First, my ideas for great soundtracks. I was shocked that only one person mentioned an Elfman soundtrack (Nightmare Before Christmas). Surely someone else appreciates "Edward Scissorhands" or "Batman". Of course, many of my favorites were mentioned (Braveheart, LOTR, Gladiator...geesh, why do the best soundtracks appear in movies of this genre?)

I have to give a hats off to barfle for being the first to mention 2001, a personal fave of mine. :D

Now to the discussion that ensued after everyone had named their favorite soundtrack(s)...film music as classical music? Of course not. There hasn't been any classical music made in over 150 years. Indeed, the music of that era was a foundation of the era's that followed, but the simple fact is that music is alive. It breeds and has offspring that shares some of the former's characteristics, but takes on a life of it's own. Almost all genre's of music can be linked to any other form if one looks for the connections.

As for the rules of classical music, I say this... they should be more like guidelines. :D It wasn't the rules that made the music great, it was a composer disregarding the rules that made the music great. So now that we have had multiple permutations of those rules such that we now have film music that does not seem to fit in the old rules to me is not necessarily a bad thing. It is just a new artform.

Anyway, here's is my solution. If someone incorrectly calls film music 'classical', offer up this correction.... call it 'orchestral' music. For most soundtracks, this would fit well. Or just call it a soundtrack. :D
Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:11 pm

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true .......

Here I am self destructing because nobody takes my perfect definition seriously.

I'm half crazy over the likes of you ........
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:13 pm

Thank you Hal! A voice of reason.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:59 pm

Originally posted by hal9000:
Good afternoon, Gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. Plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January, 1992...

I have to give a hats off to barfle for being the first to mention 2001, a personal fave of mine. :D
So it would seem. Welcome back, Hal!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:03 pm

OT, I know, but I do find it sad that 1992 is long ago, and we have yet to have anything that approaches the intelligence and self organization like HAL. It would come with its perils, but machine thinking would be very cool. Input processing and learning to apply principles by example are vital shortcomings of computers currently, perhaps some day!

And to contribute to the topic, I must add another vote for LOTR:FOTR as top sound track and very emotional music, though many of the Elfman soundtracks are extremely good.

NOW, Orchestral vs Classical... A toughie. <SNIP, Most of the question already covered> After going back and reading I decided to ammend my post here. Here's the clash. Most classical music stations can't stay consistent on the definition even. They play Strauss, Stravinsky, Copeland, among others, even if they don't think they're really classical artists. That's bad education. Should these radio stations be called Orchestral music stations? But then that'd leave out the classical Chamber music and solo piano like Bach and Rachmaninoff, who get played on Classical music stations. Not to mention leaving out strictly choral pieces!

Seems pretty confusing to me, what are we to do!?

<small>[ 11-17-2004, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Benito Of Denver ]</small>
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:54 pm

Originally posted by Benito Of Denver:
How would you distinguish between orchestral and Classical if you include things like Riech, Copeland, Glass, and other contemporary artists as Classical music?
Well, the way I look at it is this. You don't distinquish between Classical and orchestral music. One is a specific description of a music genre while the other is a more global description for many genres.

When I say orchestral music, I simply mean music that is written for an orchesta to play. Therefore, it describes parts of a multitude of music styles: Classical, Romantic, Neo-Classical, Contemporary, and even film music. I feel that most people who mistake film music as Classical do so because they are hearing an orchestra. Indeed, that is the main connection the two genre's have. If you reveal this connection to someone I think you will then be able to better explain what differences are.

I just picked up a fault in the AE-35 unit.

Uh oh. Gotta go... :D
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby BenODen » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:10 pm

(Just a note to those on the ball... My consideration on Orchestral vs Classical above has changed, since the discussion was already further along than I realized.. Teach me to try to respond readong only the last page, assuming that it'd stayed on topic for two pages!)
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby nataliend » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:06 pm

my favorites:
A Beautiful Mind
High Fidelity
Clockwork Orange
nataliend
Section Player

Postby hal 9000 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:28 pm

A Clockwork Orange! Yes! How could I have forgotten that one! A great movie (directed by one of the coolest movie directors ever ;) )AND a great soundtrack. The modern arrangements by Walter...*ahem*...Wendy Carlos were very enjoyable, or at least for me.
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:21 am

Hi natalie,

Welcome to the pit!

:D

Hi hal9000, it's good to have another 2001 fan in the neighborhood.

And I don't give a rat's patoot about that AE-35 unit. Wild horses couldn't get me out that airlock!

:eek:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:23 am

Hal, thats a great tag line you use in your signature!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby FlyingSorcery » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:02 pm

Originally posted by Saxy Buff:
Ok. So who DOES perform the piece from Chocolat. . .is it Johnny Depp on the guitar or not?
YES, Depp plays the guitar piece; and NO he did not learn guitar just for the movie. He started out a musician with his own band (acting paid for his music). At least, that's what he said when he was on "Inside the Actor's Studio".

My favorite soundtrack: Mononoke-hime by Hayashi Jo.
(The man is incredibly talented and fairly unknown to the American public.) The Czech Symphony did an orchestral version of the soundtrack, which made me cry the first time I heard it. The main theme is so beautiful.
Opera in English...about as sensible as baseball in Italian. H. L. Mencken
FlyingSorcery
4th Chair

Postby RC » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:24 pm

Thanks FS!
A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do, Nothing else.
Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi
RC
2nd Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:35 pm

Originally posted by piqaboo:
Hal, thats a great tag line you use in your signature!
Why, thank you. :) Kind of you to say. I do enjoy my Kubrick references. :p
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby hal 9000 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:10 pm

[quote]Originally posted by OperaTenor:
[b]
Hi hal9000, it's good to have another 2001 fan in the neighborhood.

And I don't give a rat's patoot about that AE-35 unit. Wild horses couldn't get me out that airlock!

:p

Very nice to meet you, Opera Tenor.
hal 9000
1st Chair

Postby clarkinmexico » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:29 pm

HAMLET (KENNETH BRANAGH VERSION)

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

sorry for the caps...just noticed they were on :confused:
clarkinmexico
Section Player

Postby mmichaelson » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:14 pm

Welcome Clark! Keep posting!
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:43 pm

When Alfred Newman accepted an oscar for some score he said something like "I want to thank the people who made this award possible: Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Puccini, Rachmaninov, ------"

The connection between film music and "classical" is long and strong. Back in the 30s when the first film composers came to their challenge they realized that composers of opera and program music had already solved the problem of writing for stories, so they modeled their work on what had already been done. The main model was, and is, Wagner. His leading motive idea with its variations has been used for 3/4 of a century now.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Shos when I attended a performance of Strauss' Die Frau Ohne Schatten in LA last year I found the incidental music that held the scenes together to be the most melodic and flowing music of the opera. It was definitely the unknowing precursor of a film score and worked as well as the best of them. I think this is a very underrated opera btw.

<small>[ 01-19-2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Great Carouser ]</small>
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:31 pm

I really enjoyed the music from "Nemo."
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

PreviousNext