What kind of dog are you?

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: What kind of dog are you?

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:41 pm

Wait a minute. . .doesn't that make me a mutt?????

:)

Well, most people say they are the best kinds of dogs to own. . .that's all my parents ever had. . .
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:52 pm

Mutts are very very loveable!

We own one and she is the best dog!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:29 pm

LOL. I get ya, TM. My parents got two mutts when I was four, and we had them until I was 20. Talk about longevity!!

A couple of years ago, after I got married and my mom retired from her job (bad combo, btw, I wouldn't recommend any woman doing that) I brought home two more dogs for them. . .their first since our other two had died. I took them two mostly chocolate labs. . .their mom was a black lab who went into heat early and got jumped by a chow. Slick and Rounder look like labs in every way except for the slightly curved tails and the black on their tongues. They are so smart.. . and a blast. . .not neccessarily true mutts, but mutts nonetheless.

We love them. 2 100lb babies. ;)
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:38 pm

SB,
My neighbor has a Chocolate lab. He got him when he was a pup. They named him Hershey. The dog was so cute when he was little, but yapped up a storm.

He is about 6 or 7 now, big, and doesn't stop barking.

In fact, one day I was doing yard work and my neighbors dog came running off his property after me. I held him at bay with my yard implement.
Stupid neighbor left the animal alone unleashed.
Not the dogs fault, but I was ready to protect myself if need be.

Anyway, do you know if it is in the Lab breed to be a constant barker and aggressive, or is my it that my neighbor just never trained the animal.

Jenny just looks at Hershey and not a peep out of her. She's such a good dog
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:41 pm

BTW,
Jenny is mostly Vizsla. (Hungarian Hunting dog)
She was 47 pounds when we adopted her from a shelter. She is now 78 pounds of love! Has two beds, one in the kitchen, one in the den and loves to be wrapped up in her blanket and get her belly rubbed. Who has the good life here? :)
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:59 pm

Neighbor's dog does sound untrained, but I never met an aggressive lab or golden, either. Probably just wanted to check your pockets for edibles.

Retrievers, in general, are excessively fond of strangers, neighbors, cats, bugs, and the postman. Easy natured couch potatos, unless they see water with or without ducks adorning it.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 pm

We have a couple of black Labs next door to us, and one of them in particular barks way too much. They both are as unfriendly as I have ever seen in Labs. Every time I approach them it's get accquainted all over again - cautiously.

<small>[ 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: OperaTenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:34 am

Selma,
I believe this Lab would take my arm off if I let him get near. He is very aggressive and I'm not taking any chances.
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:48 am

TM, as Selma said, MOST labs are not aggressive in a "harm you" sense. Chocolate labs tend to act like puppies their whole lives and are very excitable. Also, as smart as they are, they tend to get into trouble if left alone and without attention, which is probably why he never stops barking. My mom's dogs are very well trained, and they live inside with my parents. . .they really are like her 2nd and 3rd child, it's very funny.

It is likely that the neighbor's lab is so aggressive because he's left alone. . .if he makes you uncomfortable, I would do as you have been doing and stay away from him. He is likely very curious about you but hasn't been taught how to containt hat curiosity and use it in a benevolent fashion. :) A pig ear would probably make you his best friend ever.. . .or a stuffed toy.

Jenny seems to have little patience for him, which speaks volumes to me. I think his main problem is boredom, and she sees that.
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:04 am

Our oldest dog is a black lab mix. It was dropped off in the country and found its way to our door step. I opened the door one morning and there it was, acting like it had lived there its whole life. You've never met a gentler dog.

Our younger dog is a beagle mix, and is much more aggressive, but not in a dangerous way. She's just very jealous. She'll gently bite your arm to pull it away from any other animal you are petting.

She and Momma Cat do not get along though. Actually, Momma Cat doesn't seem to get along with anyone but me. I guess since I rescued her she looks to me as a sort of protector. She avoids everyone else, unless she's hungry, at which time she's anyones pet.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:39 am

I think mutts make the best pets. Our first dog for Altoid will most likely be a mutt rescued from the shelter.

Jim "Heinz 57" B.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:44 am

LOL. We're right there with you, OT. When it comes time for us to get a dog (ie, when I can stay home with one, since Sean thinks it is unfair to leave one at home all day by itself) we will likely visit our local shelter (for the 3rd time) to pick one out. I just can't see paying money for a dog with a "title" and letting another animal die just because. . .you know?

We got our two kitties (our babies) from the shelter and they know and love us. :)
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:52 am

Originally posted by Saxy Buff:
LOL. We're right there with you, OT.
What? You guys are mutts, too?

;)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:55 am

yeah, we are too. :)

what about you and Piq?
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:03 am

SB,
I think you hit the bullseye.
This dog is and was left alone quite often.
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:23 am

Poor baby. People who don't take care of their pets do not deserve them. (same goes for kids).
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:32 am

SB,
They have 2 kids and they do act strange at times.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:37 am

ROFL. Don't all kids act strange at times???
;)
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:36 pm

SB,
Yes they do!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Rick186 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:49 pm

According to CDC, most hospital-reported dog bites are from labs and goldens simply because they are the ones who kids plop down on when the poor dog is asleep! Otherwise, labs and goldens, when properly socialized, are wonderful pets.
The aggressive one is most likely due to a rotten household.
The pig ear idea is really great. Try it.
My wife and I have adopted six rescues, so far. We started with two when a CG buddy's wife died and a few years later he married his H.S. sweetheart and they moved to FL where she had a condo with a strict no pets policy. Ergo we ended up with two toy poodles.
At first I thought yuck. But the little critters grow on you - like warts.
They went everywhere with us on our boat.
We kept them until they passed away at ripe old ages of 15 and 17.
Then wife got two more from another shelter, this time a blind bichon bolognese and really show-class (according to the vet), gray mini poodle with an attitude. His best buddy was a neighbor's 100 lb German Shepherd dog, ex-PD K-9 (!). Watching 15 lb Igor with that huge GSD was a howl.
A few years later, the bolognese passed away at an estimated age of 18. Then, sadly, Igor had to be PTS due to severe spinal arthritis (I was the only one who could handle him he was in so much pain most of the time when the doses of Rimadyl weren't enough).
Now we've adopted another blind mini poodle (some sicko tried to put his eyes out according to the K9 ophthalmologist, another 1-eyed toy female, and a 23 lb bichon frise rescue from a puppy mill.
And they're all living happily . . .ever after?
Rick186
5th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie