What kind of dog are you?

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: What kind of dog are you?

Postby Rick186 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:01 pm

Okay, so I'm a GSD, already!
WOOF!
Rick186
5th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:58 pm

I'm a Clumber Spaniel again.

Why do I keep coming up as a bird dog? The bird I'm fondest of is a chicken, rotisserie roasted, with a nice crispy skin.

I'd really rather be a cat. The very spoiled housepet kind, with silk pillows and attentive slaves. <pout>
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:27 pm

The local oldies station did a show from the animal shelter - and one of the shelter staff was explaining their breed terminology.

They won't call a dog "pure-bred" unless they have papers. Usually doesn't happen at a shelter. If the dog appears to be a purebred, they call it by the breed name. Example: Poodle.

If the dog can be identified as to breed of the parents, for example a poodle/cocker spaniel puppy, they call it a crossbred. Example: Cock-a-poo, or Dachahuahua.

If a dog appears to be mostly an identifiable breed but clearly not a purebred dog, they call it a (name) mix: Beagle Mix or Dachshund mix.

The animal that they refer to as "mixed breed" is usually about 35 to 45 pounds, tends to have brown, brindled, or black medium length fur, a medium length curved tail, and they're pretty sure most of its ancestors went "woof". This is what I'd call a mutt.

They also explained that in adopting a mixed breed dog, you have to take your time and be clear about what character traits you need for a dog to fit into your family. The only sure trait in a mixedbreed dog is that it is a survivor type (only logical, as all its ancestors did survive long enough to breed). They are less likely than purebreeds to have any of the recessive genetic problems such as dysplasia. Their characters and personalities are entirely individual, and need to be evaluated in light of the adopting family's existing members.

Then they went on about the need to properly train and socialize your dog.

Cats are easier.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Rick186 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:45 pm

Selma's right! Cats ARE easier to maintain. No walks, no scoopers/bags/licenses, stuff like that. I'll still take dogs, rescues, preferably and NEVER from pet shops which feed off puppy mills.
Honorary dog: Maine Coon Cat. Huge, lovable. Friend's Maine Coon will fetch its 'baby' {a small rag doll} on command and stomp in your lap. It also curls up in front of the stereo and adores classical music!
That cat food company should make a commercial about this cat and its exquisite taste.
Rick186
5th Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:06 am

Cool...I'm an Alaskan Malamute; gentle, affectionate, loyal, long memory. I didn't like that crack about overcoming natural stubborness through training. So I'm like a pack mule, load me up. I thought I was more independent than this; I want to be more like the wolf....work as a team member in the hunt. Sled dogs who are not the "alfa male" are just butt-sniffers.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:18 am

If you are looking for a dog to have as a pet, I adopted a mutt who was targeted for extermination in Puerto Rico. I surfed animal shelters on the web, saw a picture of her and said "That's my pet". she is so gentle with the kids. You can tell she was abused as a puppy because she gets nervous around some men.

Dogs who are overbred have "issues". You get these at "puppy farms". I initially had a Cairn Terrier (Toto in the Wizard of OZ) and the dog was overbred; it was nervous, whenever I did laundry it would pace back and forth, licking the floor, growling at imagined-underground vermin (vibrations from the washing machine). It would eventually stand up on its hind legs and use its front paws to thrust itself at the floor and try to dig through every few minutes. I had to exterminate it when it started to bite the kids to protect its food and territory. The dog absolutely loved me and it was hard to put him to sleep but the kids come first and you can't give a dog away that has a history of biting people.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:01 am

Adoption is the way to go!
There are some (not enough) no kill shelters here on Long Island.
This is where we got Jenny. We adopted her when she was about 2 and she just turned 8.
She's my 80 pound lapdog - mushkapup. :)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:07 am

Originally posted by Saxy Buff:
yeah, we are too. :)

what about you and Piq?
I'm a mutt, Heinz 57 variety. Piq - purebred English.

Originally claimed by Selma in Sandy Eggo:
Cats are easier.
Cats may be easier, but birds are easiest.

:p
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:17 am

I'm fond of our tuxedo barn cat. He's not too bright, but very sweet.

The applehead siamese, however, is a whole other thing. He's smart, adaptable, sturdy, and has more personality than any three alleycats I've ever had. His predecessor, another applehead, was the same. Both of them are/were companion animals far superior to a generic cat. He supervises everything, is good with babies, and keeps track of everything.

He has papers. I know his g'g'g'grandfather's name. He was expensive. I had to interview with the breeder before she'd consider me for one of her kittens. (I passed. Her cats swarmed me and climbed all over me and I was in heaven. The ultimate cat scan.)

There are traits worth breeding for, and sometimes it's a good thing to know that the companion animal you're getting is actually the one that'll suit you. A responsible breeder pays as much attention to temperament as conformation and health and a pet from a good breeder could well be the best money you ever spent.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:07 pm

I have it on good account you have a particularly exceptional cat. Piq positivelly oohed and aahed about him when she came home.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:13 pm

oh wow. wish I could meet him. Fellow cat lover here. The way I picked out our two kitties was pretty simple: went to the shelter during kitten season. Held EACH KITTEN for five minutes, with no exceptions. I then narrowed down my choices to those who loved me. From there, I held each kitten again until my little orange tabby Chloe won my heart (she crawled up to my throat and curled up there, purring). She's my baby. When I picked out Ty (our brown tabby) it was a little different. He was the only kitten there. . .and he was such a fussy, energetic kitty, I was quite taken with him.
He's still full of beans, most of the time, in spite being a healthy 13 lbs. He's not FAT, just large, close to mainecoone large.
We love our kitties, and they love us.

I have to admit though, it can be a little disconcerting/comforting to wake up at two o'clock in the morning with a 13lb fuzzball purring behind your head (and between you and your spouse) with an orange fuzzy in between you in the stomach-area. It can get quite HOT in our bed at times.

;)

Selma, do you have the same problem?
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:22 pm

If I won the lottery, I'd buy a HUGE farm and adopt all the unwanted animals and move them to the farm for TLC the rest of their lives!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:31 pm

Selma, do you have the same problem?
No. Neither of the cats is that small. Both our boys weigh in around 16 lbs, by the vet's scale.

Ming prefers to sleep with Deb, and I'm only second choice for when she's not home. Then I have to relinquish one of my pillows to him. Thomas prefers to decorate Gil's feet.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:35 pm

...a 13lb fuzzball purring behind your head (and between you and your spouse) with an orange fuzzy in between you in the stomach-area. It can get quite HOT in our bed at times.

;)
I'm really struggling with interpretations this morning....

;)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Originally posted by Selma in Sandy Eggo:
[b] Selma, do you have the same problem?
No. Neither of the cats is that small. Both our boys weigh in around 16 lbs, by the vet's scale.

Ming prefers to sleep with Deb, and I'm only second choice for when she's not home. Then I have to relinquish one of my pillows to him. Thomas prefers to decorate Gil's feet. [/b]
You know who rules the roost!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:41 pm

ROFL! Let me help you out:

Our larger cat sleeps head/neck level between Sean and I at night. . .he purrs every time either or us moves.

Our smaller cat sleeps about stomach-level between the two of us and gets cranky if either of us moves.

It makes for a very warm-temperatured bed, I can assure you.

Does that clairify? (IE, Mind OUT of the gutter, OT).

;)
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:59 pm

Yes, the applehead is a great cat. It was sheer joy to meet him, and to be exposed to the classic beauty of the barncat (who posed nicely for me).

I've had a history of being adopted by other peoples psychotic cats. The current cat came as a feral kitten; she can be pet (at arm's reach) on any of her body parts, but can not be picked up and will not sit on or near a lap. Her predeceased buddy, also feral, was similar if less pschitzy. He would sit on a lap, if he fit. He was 15 lbs fighting fit - a biig cat. Their predecessor owned me for most of her 17 years. Her original family couldnt touch her but she decided to follow me around from room to room so they offloaded her on me when she was 3. GREAT cat. For the first 10 years I had her, I was the only one who could pick her up, or pet her anyplace but top of head. Those who tried to expand the petting got branded with 4 parellel registers of disapproval. She gave no warning. With age, she mellowed and became almost normal. A great lap cat. Slept with me (on me usually), but could never be picked up and held. She was always in control.

I did the math last night after holding Selma's applehead, and it had been 17 years since I held a cat that enjoyed it. No wonder it felt so good!

Altoid also appreciated the chance to pet one of those four-legged furry things, as ours only entices. She wont let the Altoid touch her.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:11 pm

Quote from SB "does that clairify? (IE, Mind OUT of the gutter, OT)."

Glad you said that!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:16 pm

lol. Well, it seemed like it needed to be said, right???
;)
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby lioness » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:19 pm

saxy, you should post pics of your fuzzies.
My music is best understood by children and animals.
Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
lioness
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie