Toyota Prius

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Toyota Prius

Postby Marye » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:29 pm

I need to buy a new car as my Subaru Legacy has decided to pack it in. I am thinking of a Prius as I wish to be a environmentally responsible consumer. I owned my Legacy for 13 years and it has little by way of kilometers. Does anyone own a Prius or other hybrid car?
Marye
2nd Chair

Re: Toyota Prius

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:32 pm

Great question Marye, I too am in the market for a new car and looking for a hybrid. Any input would be great! Thanks
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:51 pm

Hi Mary and H.R.H.,

We have three friends who own Priuses, one got a first generation, and the other two have the newer version. All rave about them! I also heard recently that they have the second highest fuel economy rating, second only to the Honda hybrid, which isn't nearly as practical.

I've also heard that the newest version is significantly superior to the original.

I knew a guy that got one of the Hondas when they first came out. He loved it, but acknowledged it was a two passenger car with almost no payload capacity.

I say, go for the Prius!
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:58 pm

Consumer reports speaks VERY highly of the Prius. it's only downside is handling. so it scored "average" in crash avoidance.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:29 am

Marye,

It's funny that you're looking to go from Subaru to Toyota, as just last night, we picked up a 2005 Subaru Forrester for the trade-in of a 2003 Toyota Rav4.

Heck of a deal, as Toyota's really keep their value. For about $2k we merely added one year to our current loan payments, however, the payments are less, and as I always pay more towards principal, we can essentially own the 2005 by the same time we would have owned the 2003.

Not quite ready for the hybrid yet. A couple more years and more data, then probably.
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:33 am

I don't have one but I did ride in a prius on an interview tour. It seems a bit tiny and thus impractical for anyone who has to lug lots of stuff or people around. Other than that, it was pretty quiet and the car shuts off when it stops (like at a stop light) and then restarts when the gas was hit. I think hybrids are a great idea but i'll wait until the price is lower. It seems like a whole lotta cash for a small amount of car. And I think I read somewhere that the actual mileage/tank o gas wasn't that great - it was either the city miles or the freeway miles, can't remember. But with prices of gas so high, perhaps the higher cost for the car is worth it in the end.
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby sadie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:04 am

Marye,
Cars are a tough decision, and I'm always debating which one would best suit my needs. I commute from the North Shore through nasty traffic to Southeast MA. Safety, reliability, gas mileage and 4 wheel drive are all considerations.

I am looking to replace my current car too. Anyone with similar commuting conditions who could make recommendations??
sadie
sadie
4th Chair

Postby camper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:41 am

Originally posted by Marye:
I need to buy a new car as my Subaru Legacy has decided to pack it in. I am thinking of a Prius as I wish to be a environmentally responsible consumer. I owned my Legacy for 13 years and it has little by way of kilometers. Does anyone own a Prius or other hybrid car?
I surprised that your subaru died with "little by way of kilometers". I had 170k on my 1990 legacy and sold it running very well. It's still around town.
I am very serious about maintenace so it had it's oil changed every 3000 miles and timing belt replaced every 60k. There are a number of subies in town approaching 300k miles
Wanted! Honda MX and body to ride it!
camper
4th Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:45 am

Everyone I know with a Toyota (hybrid or not) swears by them. I say research consumer reports and go for it! With the prices of gasoline rising, you'll definitely save money in the long run.
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:47 am

Sadie,

You and I are encountering same traffic type. I go from South of Providence (95 or 295 north) to 495 through Woonsocket/Bellingham area.

I'm driving a Honda Civic now, as I just traded in the Rav4.

Reliable, great on gas, pep when needed...
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby camper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:48 am

Originally posted by monkeymd2b:
I don't have one but I did ride in a prius on an interview tour. It seems a bit tiny and thus impractical for anyone who has to lug lots of stuff or people around. Other than that, it was pretty quiet and the car shuts off when it stops (like at a stop light) and then restarts when the gas was hit. I think hybrids are a great idea but i'll wait until the price is lower. It seems like a whole lotta cash for a small amount of car. And I think I read somewhere that the actual mileage/tank o gas wasn't that great - it was either the city miles or the freeway miles, can't remember. But with prices of gas so high, perhaps the higher cost for the car is worth it in the end.
I agree on the cost-per-mile problmes of the Prius.
A 1600cc Corolla gets you 38mpg and costs nearly half that of Prius getting 45mpg... and don’t forget that Toyota still subsidizes these hybrids. Until the manufacturing technology humps are ironed out the hybrid technology remains costly.
camper
4th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:52 am

Originally posted by sadie lady:
Marye,
Cars are a tough decision, and I'm always debating which one would best suit my needs. I commute from the North Shore through nasty traffic to Southeast MA. Safety, reliability, gas mileage and 4 wheel drive are all considerations.

I am looking to replace my current car too. Anyone with similar commuting conditions who could make recommendations??
Don't forget those HUGE SUV's that come barrelling down the road. I have a Camry and don't feel safe with the size of those SUV's.

I like the Prius but think it's too small.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby sadie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:53 am

How many miles do you commute a day, Dave? You must be going to the Marlborough area lots of high tech there, no? My commute can take me almost 2 hours on a bad day, going through or around Boston.

Hondas are great on gas, but the Rav 4 might be safer for snowy roads?
sadie
sadie
4th Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:26 am

Sadie,

53 miles one way (1 hours time give or take a few minutes depending on road conditions and how fast I'm able to drive -- meaning no cops in sight *wink *wink).
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:07 am

Originally posted by DavidEB310:
Sadie,

53 miles one way (1 hours time give or take a few minutes depending on road conditions and how fast I'm able to drive -- meaning no cops in sight *wink *wink).
Dave,
I feel for you.

I used to drive 65 miles one way to Staten Island, NY. got up at 4AM, left at 5AM, in the office at 6AM. When AT&T bought our company, they started sending me to meetings in the middle of NJ and keeping me there till 6PM. Would not get home until 9:30PM-10:00PM at night. Eat a little something, crash and get up at 4AM the next day to do the same thing all over. Did this routine for 6 years.

Rush hour coming home was always the killer!

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:23 pm

Hey Marye-

I just received my copy of Wired magazine and they did an great review of the top hybrids. Here's the link to the online article: http://www.wired.com/wired/

They gave the Lexus hybrid the highest rating but it's $50,000! The Accord Hybrid and the Prius got great reviews are are around $20,000.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:36 pm

TrumpetMaster,

There are is no good traffic in the metro Tri-state area.

That's why, when making my Stadium trip this year, we're staying in NYC for the weekend -- coming and going by Amtrak.

I'll take the subway to the Stadium for the game from Grand Central.

Going to games from RI means 95 south (CT is full of construction and backups) and then to Cross Bronx (most direct route).

I reserved business class for the family -- big seats, free coffee, newspaper, and a bar if necessary. Easy commuting to NYC.
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby camper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:54 pm

Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
Hey Marye-

The Accord Hybrid and the Prius got great reviews are are around $20,000.
Unless things have changed the waiting list is three months and the dealer markup is (I am told) near $3000 over sticker.
camper
4th Chair

Postby Marye » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:10 pm

Originally posted by camper:
I surprised that your subaru died with "little by way of kilometers". I had 170k on my 1990 legacy and sold it running very well. It's still around town.
I am very serious about maintenace so it had it's oil changed every 3000 miles and timing belt replaced every 60k. There are a number of subies in town approaching 300k miles
Well I am surprised too then. Mine has 120,000 kms and I took the car in every 5,000 kilometres or so. I am obsessive about it, which clearly sounds obvious. But I am taking it in tomorrow to my Subaru boys since the ones who looked at it, said, new transmission and I don't believe everything I hear. Thank you, Camper, I am not so depressed, now.

I would like another Subaru since I love my car, but I am trying to be a better citizen of the world, which isn't always easy, so I am leaning toward a Prius.

Thank you everyone... any other ideas?
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby GreatCarouser » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:32 pm

Marye, Honda has a new hybrid Accord out in the US this year that seems to solve some of the space issues presented by the sub-compact size of the Civic hybrid...congratulations on 1 chair status btw...
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Nicole Marie