Harold in Italy

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Harold in Italy

Postby camper » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:20 pm

I was just thinking about something and thought I’d post it here in the Nicole Marie place (having many other places to post it, it makes me wonder if there is not another post lurking in there somewhere explaining why I post here rather than elsewhere…shrug).
Anyway I’d like to know something. If you like classical music you prolly have a bunch of CDs already (or if you’re a real audiophile prolly have a bunch of vinyl)... so what makes you request music here that you already have and could play anytime you wished? I mean what is the point in calling in requests? or typing in requests? For example I have yet to request a piece I do not already have in my library. I could play it anytime I wanted it but I don’t. I call it in or type it in on the web site instead. Strange behavior if you ask me (being admittedly strange I would not be the best person to ask should you require a really cogent response).

So I was thinking… I’ll bet – short of a session of confirmation with my shrink – that I request music here to share. I’ll wager that should I request Harold in Italy that I wish to share what I conceive to be incredible art. Its not that it *is* art it just that I perceive it as such and want to share the beautiful melancholy of a viola with you… an under appreciated string is the viola I think.

What do you?

<small>[ 03-29-2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: camper ]</small>
Wanted! Honda MX and body to ride it!
camper
4th Chair

Re: Harold in Italy

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Camper,

I listen to B.com at work, where I don't have my CD's, vinyl, and magnetic tapes at hand. I often request music I don't have, particularly movie soundtrack music. I have lots of the old standby music, Bach, Beethoven, Berlioz, etc., but don't have a lot of John Williams the composer/conductor, not the guitarist, I have lots of music by him, Horner, Shore, Badelt, etc. (I do have lots by Ennio Morricone, though).

I often request to hear something I've heard before on B.com, as I like to hear music a few times before investing in the purchase of a CD. They can get quite expensive.

When I listen to classical music at home, I'm more likely to listen to lenghty pieces, such as a Symphony or a Piano Concerto. I usually request shorter pieces such as Faure's Pavane, a violin piece by Kreisler, or a selection of film music. First, because they require a shorter attention span, which is usually all I have available at work, and second, because shorter pieces are more likely to get played at B.com.

There's also something to be said about sharing music you like with others.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby cheetah » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:50 am

I like the sharing idea too. I request alot which I don't own because I own very few classical CD's. My mother's the concert violinist and voice/strings/piano teacher, she has the collection that I borrow from. I only own maybe 30 CD's myself, then again I'm in college and almost every penny goes to the all mighty overlords...I mean the college heehee. I request alot that I've heard and want to hear again. I appreciate others' requests since I'm not extremely well versed in the classical genre, but don't tell Mama. ;)

Cheetah
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."-- William Shakespeare's Hamlet
cheetah
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:00 am

Hi Camper,

You nailed it. I feel like I'm sharing something I like a lot with others. I even sent B.com a couple of CD's to make sure I was able to share specific recordings which I already own myself.

Sheesh. I thought it was just me, and I was being really weird.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:05 am

Originally posted by camper:
I was just thinking about something and thought I’d post it here in the Nicole Marie place (having many other places to post it, it makes me wonder if there is not another post lurking in there somewhere explaining why I post here rather than elsewhere…shrug).
Anyway I’d like to know something. If you like classical music you prolly have a bunch of CDs already (or if you’re a real audiophile prolly have a bunch of vinyl)... so what makes you request music here that you already have and could play anytime you wished? I mean what is the point in calling in requests? or typing in requests? For example I have yet to request a piece I do not already have in my library. I could play it anytime I wanted it but I don’t. I call it in or type it in on the web site instead. Strange behavior if you ask me (being admittedly strange I would not be the best person to ask should you require a really cogent response).

So I was thinking… I’ll bet – short of a session of confirmation with my shrink – that I request music here to share. I’ll wager that should I request Harold in Italy that I wish to share what I conceive to be incredible art. Its not that it *is* art it just that I perceive it as such and want to share the beautiful melancholy of a viola with you… an under appreciated string is the viola I think.

What do you?
Camper,
I listen to B.com during the week here at work.
Usually work 10-12 hr days. If I brought in my CDs there would be no room on my desk.

Harold in Italy by Berlioz is a wonderful work. The Viola is under-appreciated and produces such a mellow sound.

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Andy Warton » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:03 pm

Harold in Italy by Berlioz is a wonderful work. The Viola is under-appreciated and produces such a mellow sound.

Harold in Italy was written for Paganini, the virtuoso viola player. But he refused to play it because the viola part was too easy/un-solo-like. The piece grew on me when we studied the first movement in school; it's nice.
Where your own intelligence fails, a god will inspire you.
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:53 pm

I would say Pagannini was the virtuoso violinist, rather than violist. but he was laos probably the best violist of his time too. those are the benefits of being locked in a room with only your violin and music for 12 hours a day by your father. I highly recommend this for all fathers out there. lock your kids in rooms with violins. they'll be the next Paganninis!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Ta, bignaf. BTW Is it also true that leopold mozart would hit his son?
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:57 pm

most likely, most of them did at that time.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:06 pm

I mean in an abusive way, to an abusive extent (even by the standards of those times). I've heard that's how he got his son to work so hard at music.
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby bignaf » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:49 pm

I never heard that one. it sounds like someone heard abuse and went with it. Leopold definitely abused his chilfren, but in a more psychological kind of way, and not maliciously, the fact they had to tour for long times, away from their mother, at very young age, exposed to many diseases, without company of children of their own age, was abuse enough.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:08 pm

Agreed. They should have been sent to the workhouse, so they could be with other kids their age. :D

It was a different world then, with different attitudes towards child rearing, child abuse, and life in general. It's simply not proper to judge them by today's standards.

Pilgrim mothers and fathers abused their children by shipping them across the Atlantic in crowded wooden ships, only to have them arrive to find wilderness, where they had to help to build the home, grow crops, and create a new life far from the familiar lands and comforts they had known as children. Many perished in the effort. It was a harsh thing to do, but there would be no America if they hadn't.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:02 pm

LOL.
but I think even people in his time counseled him against his exploitation of his children. Mozart was definitely more messed up than the average person of his time. and it can be traced directly to the lack of play (as in games, not the piano) as a kid.
bignaf
1st Chair

Return to Nicole Marie