Does anyone DVD anymore?

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Does anyone DVD anymore?

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:39 pm

Movie. The telling of a story, with lots of nifty visual aids. It gets recorded on a shiny plastic disc and you watch it on a viewing device - sometimes a big screen in a special room with lots of chairs and a sticky floor but usually a little screen in front of the couch.

The sitter would notice.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:31 pm

Selma - I take it you're the sitter?
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:49 pm

Originally posted by Saxy Buff:
Selma - I take it you're the sitter?
Ah, no. No, I'm not. But whoever it is would notice. Trust me on this, I have experience.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby camper » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:16 pm

I Robot had the best robot animations I have seen. But thats all it had. Oh well. It was sent back to Netflics and traded for The Aviator
Wanted! Honda MX and body to ride it!
camper
4th Chair

Postby camper » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:20 pm

How could a movie by Spielberg and headed by an actor like Hanks be a dog? Incredibly boring and a huge stretch of reality trust. Booooooooo to The Terminal. It was sent back and traded for Ray
camper
4th Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:13 pm

yeah, she'd notice. She might not give Altoid back. She might decide she was the common-law mama by then, and keep her. Yikes!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby camper » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Originally posted by Saxy Buff:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:
[b] I can't sit through Top Gun just from the perspective of a motorcyclist.

:puke:

And I like Tom Cruise.
I have NO problems sitting through Top Gun. That's when Cruise looked his best to me. :)
He almost looks like a different person now.

And, btw, the idea of him and that actress, Katie Holmes, is kinda weird to me. She's my age. Ick. [/b]
I have purchased so many DVDs and I wonder why I do it because most of them just sit there after one viewing. So why buy?
However there are three that I slip in and watch over and over again.
1)A Night in Tuscany with Andrea Bocelli, but I really watch it to see Sarha Brightman.. woof!
2) Out of Africa and I cant tell you why I watch it over and over
3) Top gun because I have never lost me fantasy of going back to High School, getting honors, a scholarship to Annapolis, and then my own jet fighter... what a rush that movie gives me... along with the music!

All this having to do with Tom Cruise I guess.
camper
4th Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:48 pm

Camper, we used to purchase lots of DVDs too, and came to the same conclusion that we'd be way more discriminating.

How have you (or others here) found the Netflicks service? What are the pros and cons?
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby FlyingSorcery » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:27 am

Angie, we've been doing Netflix for about a year and love it. The price has actually gone down since we started. (I think it's somewhere between $10 & $15 per month) We go through 10-12 DVDs a month, so it is definitely cheaper than the local rental place. And more convenient, not to mention the larger selection. Each DVD comes with a prepaid return envelope, so no problems sending movies back and forth.

They have a HUGE library, including PBS and BBC series, and it is very easy to navigate the site. Searching for titles is also easy - you can search by rating, or genre or type (documentary, PBS, music, etc)

Turn around time is fast: I posted a DVD on Monday and received the next one on Wed.

The post has lost a DVD, but Netflix is great about that - as long as it doesn't happen often, they simply send you another DVD.

Our daughter at university tried Blockbuster for 4 weeks and dropped it. She said Netflix was better. (blockbuster "rewarded" her with an extra 2 weeks on her trial. Wasn't that sweet. :roll: ) But try both and compare.
Opera in English...about as sensible as baseball in Italian. H. L. Mencken
FlyingSorcery
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:46 am

I'm liking Netflix.
It's very easy to use. Once you join up, the search is easier and more robust. I like the postage prepaid envelope. And for me, I joined the cheapest plan. Even if I only get 1 per week, or can squeeze in 5 or 6 per month, it is still about 1/2 the rental cost AND no mileage or gas.

Saxy wanted me to try out the Alias TV show. Netflix has them all. Local video stores don't.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:53 am

It just occurred to me that I bet we can't access Netflix in Canada since we'd be dealing in international postage, customs clearance, etc.

But thanks for the info. If we ever do get a service like that in Canada, I'll sign up.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:43 am

About the only thing I ever go to Wal-Mart for is their DVD bargain bin. $8.88 for a movie, even a dog, isn't all that much to spend. I find lots of classic movies there. I believe that's where I found Casablanca and Reefer Madness, just to name a few.

My favorite place for DVDs these days is Spacecraft Films, which has been eating up a good portion of my allowance for the last couple of years. In their effort to be as complete as possible, they do have some moments where I wonder what value a TV interview with no sound has, but there are enough historic moments to make all of my purchases so far well worth the expense.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:55 pm

Tree -and WHO was right about Alias??

yah, I know. It rocks

Just watch out for the seasons two and four finales - they make you wee in your pants.
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:38 pm

All,

Saxy is being modest. In private messages she didn't use the word "wee", but the word she DID use wasn't really profane either.

Regards,
Tim "now an 'Alias' fan" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby camper » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:51 pm

Originally posted by Angie:
Camper, we used to purchase lots of DVDs too, and came to the same conclusion that we'd be way more discriminating.

How have you (or others here) found the Netflicks service? What are the pros and cons?
Some don't understand how it really works. Think of it as watching all the movies you want all month long for $14 per month or so. The only restriction is I can have only two in my house at a time. I can keep them at home four six months if I want. I do not have to return them. But if I want a new movie I have to send them one and they replace it with another. No charge for shipping, its real fast, and the pace is how you make it.

With the two DVD plan and the mail delay we could rotate three dvds a week.. but we dont.

camp
camper
4th Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:40 am

Sounds like fun. I may have to give it a try when I get back from my trip!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:51 am

Went to see Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants last night with some girlfriends. Cute movie. I would recommend it for older kids (they say a$$ a few times, language and tense situations for younger kids). A lot of making out and stuff.
I thought it was cute - not as great as the book, but good.
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby camper » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:14 am

The Aviator was a very long movie with loads of good acting. However it is flawed in respect to Howard Hughes fact and history. Many errors in the movie...for example no mention of drug addiction which played a major roll in accelerating his madness.

Ray is next.
camper
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:51 am

Originally posted by camper:
...Ray is next.
Then, by gosh, you'll HAVE your drug addiction!!

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:53 pm

Alias rocks - still haven't seen the season finale - I'm a little behind on my taped shows. Really glad the regular season is over. And while I'll miss some canceled shows (Enterprise and Andromeda), at least that is that much less TV for me to watch. I had a serious TV addiction before Pumpkin came around - and could still watch lots when he was little and nursing all the time. So now I don't have time to get sucked into new stuff...although everyone's raving about Lost and it looks interesting...

Oh, yeah - this thread is about movies. But it's good to know you can get TV from Netflix - I went way over my usual Christmas budget getting my parents the first season of Star Trek on DVD and have been loathe to purchase any shows for myself due to the expense and the 'are you really going to watch all the episodes again' factor. Did get Firefly though - only 14 eps and I had missed about 4 or 5 in the original run and the DVD has 4 unaired eps. Just loved the scifi/western mix.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie