Books about music

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Books about music

Postby Chicken Broccoli » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:46 am

What are your favorite books about music?

Music history, theory, any of the 400 biographies of Wagner that come out every year, "How to Play the Kazoo"? Or, any music books you really hate? I'm planning on a visit to the discount bookstore, so I'm looking for suggestions, but I hope that this could be a lively topic of conversation.
Chicken Broccoli
5th Chair

Re: Books about music

Postby Angie Parkes » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:28 pm

Just last night I was going through History of Western Music by Grout (an old text of my husband's, who in music school used to call the author "Grouch"). My best music book purchase has been an 1985 edition of Groves Dictionary, all 20 volumes, that I got for $10 a couple of years ago.

The most wonderful fiction I've read about music is An Equal Music by Vikram Seth.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby Chicken Broccoli » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:26 am

Angie - I just did a search on Grout, and discovered thousands of ways to keep my bathroom tile looking clean. After narrowing the search, I found the book you mentioned, and it looks intimidating but impressive. There are a couple of used textbook places nearby, so I'll definitely remember your suggestion. Thanks.
Chicken Broccoli
5th Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:56 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Angie:
The most wonderful fiction I've read about music is An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. QUOTE]

I've read that myself - Seth has a way of writing (and ending) books that makes them haunt you for a while afterwards, doesn't he? I also read "A Suitable Boy," another novel of his. Set in India, it's about the attempts of a mother to find a suitable boy for her daughter to marry. It's very witty.
But then Seth is always witty, and this means that his characters are always witty - sometimes unrealistically so, I think, but always entertaining. :)
Where your own intelligence fails, a god will inspire you.
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:10 pm

<small>[ 07-02-2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Andy Warton ]</small>
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:50 pm

You wouldn't happen to be Rhenals in disguise, would you???

A definite turn-off for most around here.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Marye » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:03 pm

Originally posted by Andy Warton:
Oh dear! I seem to have a way of posting posts that end the conversation! I think I'm cursed! :o
If you have read Seth, have you read Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance? Set in India... excellent!

Sorry off topic....
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:51 am

In reply to treebeau, I apologise for my dramatic outburst, I'm a teenager - I blame my hormones!!! And no, I am not Rhenal in diguise; who is Rhenal, anyway?

In reply to Marye, I haven't read A Fine Balance , but I will look for it. I have this interest in books set in India, which I think was sparked off by reading Arundhati Roy's "The God of Small Things." I wonder if she's written anything since that Booker Prize-winning novel in 1998? She has this lovely, magical voice and a beautiful rhythm to the way she writes... Ahem - going off on a tangent there. :)
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Postby Silver Gryphon » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:55 am

I'm currently looking for a good music theory reference book. Any suggestions?

---

There's a book out called The Art of Practicing. I found it at the library; I'm buying myself a copy next time I'm at a bookstore that stocks it.

Victor Borge's books "My Favorite Intermissions" and "My Favorite Comedies In Music" are oldies but goodies.

Okay, these are books written for children, but they count! I also found Alligators and Music at the library. It's another guide to the instruments of the orchestra, but a bit more sophisticated than other such books for children I've seen, despite the silly-sounding title. The Philharmonic Gets Dressed is rather amusing too. (I first found that one on a bookshelf while babysitting!)

<small>[ 07-03-2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Silver Gryphon ]</small>
~Cellist, and honorary bassoonist~
Silver Gryphon
4th Chair

Postby Andy Warton » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:34 pm

When I was doing my music theory exam, I used Eric Taylor's The AB (Associated Board) Guide To Music Theory. It's published by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing), which is really mostly known in Britain, I'm informed. Hmmm... do you mind shipping...?

Try this link:
Musicroom AB Guide to Music Theory

It comes in two parts, and I found it really helpful. It goes up to the highest non-diploma level I know of.
- Athene, The Odyssey
Andy Warton
4th Chair

Return to Nicole Marie