Connection Problems

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Connection Problems

Postby rtwhite » Fri Mar 02, 2001 1:36 pm

Can anyone tell me how to connect to the beethoven.com broadcast under the new setu
rtwhite
Section Player

Re: Connection Problems

Postby medolark » Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:40 pm

rtwhite has posted 6-7 times & received 1 reply. i also want to know the answer to this problem--i can't seem to get the music. no matter what i try, it always leads back to the "click here" button. i emailed everyone i could find listed on the site and still no replies. wish i had an answer for you, rt, but . . .
medolark
Section Player

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:55 pm

Our engineers will put up a posting around Monday of next week that should answer all of your questions!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby medolark » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:38 pm

thanks for the reply nicole!!!! i've been listening to classic fm from britain, and, while it's good, it's just not "my" beethoven.com! don't know what you guys put in the net, but it sure works for me!!!!<P>;o) judy
medolark
Section Player

Postby CLarsen » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:51 pm

Unfortunately we have encountered some problems during our transition to a new website and new streaming providers. CLBN provides our new 32k Windows Media at an unlimited bandwidth. In order to listen to this stream you must have:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><BR><LI>Windows NT/2000/95/98/ME<BR><LI>Windows Media Player 6.4 or above<BR><LI>Direct X 6.0 or above<BR><LI>Macromedia Flash 5.0<BR></UL><BR>If you are running a Windows OS (such as Windows 98 or ME) then be sure to visit <A HREF="http://www.windowsupdate.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.windowsupdate.com</A> and download the latest updates to your system.<P>Macintosh users cannot listen to the CLBN stream because of licensing issues between Apple and Microsoft. The CLBN stream uses Windows Media technology and imbeds the player in an HTML document. Apple did not choose to license the imbedded player from Microsoft and thus it is incompatible with the Mac OS. Sonic Box is also, unfortunately, PC only but they have informed me that they have been working on a Mac version. However this project has been a low priority for them. We are working hard to find a solution to provide our Macintosh users with a stream and I’ll keep posting updates on this board. <P>We have also noticed problems with the CLBN stream and the latest version of Netscape. CLBN is working to solve this problem and we should have an answer soon.<P>Thank you all for your patience and support during this period.<P><BR>[This message has been edited by CLarsen (edited 03-02-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by CLarsen (edited 03-02-2001).]
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby rtwhite » Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:37 pm

If beethoven.com thinks all of its listeners<BR>will download and install<BR><LI>Windows Media Player 6.4 or above<BR><LI>Direct X 6.0 or above<BR><LI>Macromedia Flash 5.0<BR>[/list]<BR>they're wishing for too much.<BR>Let's go back to a simple interface.<BR>In the meantime I have discovered several<BR>Online Classical broadcasters with both low<BR>and high bandwidth streaming that I will patronize.<BR>I am copying this post to <BR>Howard "Woody" Tanger - President and CEO, Marlin Broadcasting<P>Richard White<BR>rtwhite@yahoo.com<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CLarsen:<BR><B>Unfortunately we have encountered some problems during our transition to a new website and new streaming providers. CLBN provides our new 32k Windows Media at an unlimited bandwidth. In order to listen to this stream you must have:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><BR><LI>Windows NT/2000/95/98/ME<BR><LI>Windows Media Player 6.4 or above<BR><LI>Direct X 6.0 or above<BR><LI>Macromedia Flash 5.0<BR></UL><BR>If you are running a Windows OS (such as Windows 98 or ME) then be sure to visit [url=http://www.windowsupdate.com]http://www.windowsupdate.com[url] and download the latest updates to your system.<P>Macintosh users cannot listen to the CLBN stream because of licensing issues between Apple and Microsoft. The CLBN stream uses Windows Media technology and imbeds the player in an HTML document. Apple did not choose to license the imbedded player from Microsoft and thus it is incompatible with the Mac OS. Sonic Box is also, unfortunately, PC only but they have informed me that they have been working on a Mac version. However this project has been a low priority for them. We are working hard to find a solution to provide our Macintosh users with a stream and I’ll keep posting updates on this board. <P>We have also noticed problems with the CLBN stream and the latest version of Netscape. CLBN is working to solve this problem and we should have an answer soon.<P>Thank you all for your patience and support during this period.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
rtwhite
Section Player

Postby CLarsen » Sat Mar 03, 2001 12:01 am

Mr White,<P>I'm sorry that you're disappointed about Beethoven.com's upgrade. Whether or not you decide to continue listening to our station, I highly suggest that you visit Microsoft's <A HREF="http://www.windowsupdate.com" TARGET=_blank>www.windowsupdate.com</A> to download the latest updates and patches to your operating system. (assuming it is a PC) Microsoft routinely offers important security updates on that sight as well as the free multimedia tools that I listed in the previous post. We had to use the CLBN technology in order to remain viable and continue to bring you the unique programming that many listeners have come to enjoy. Our webmasters have also posted an updated FAQ in our <A HREF="http://www.beethoven.com/help.htm" TARGET=_blank>Help</A> section. I hope that you and others choose to continue listening to Beethoven.com.<P>Chris Larsen<BR>Assistant Engineer<BR>Beethoven.com<p>[This message has been edited by CLarsen (edited 03-03-2001).]
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby Kevin » Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rtwhite:<BR><B>If beethoven.com thinks all of its listeners<BR>will download and install<BR><LI>Windows Media Player 6.4 or above<BR><LI>Direct X 6.0 or above<BR><LI>Macromedia Flash 5.0<BR>[/list]<BR>they're wishing for too much.<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just to reiterate what Chris says, these downloads are important for you to have on your system, regardless of your patronage to Beethoven.com. These will help you on numerous other sites to get the full use of the internet and your computer.<P>Kevin Shively<BR>Director of Business Development<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:31 am

Since Beethoven.com has changed the format of its home page, I constantly get the messages "Transferring data from <A HREF="http://www.beethoven.com" TARGET=_blank>www.beethoven.com</A> and the "...Waiting for reply". This is even after I have gone on to some other website. All it takes is a quick visit to the homepage and those messages start up. Nothing stops them. Even clicking on "Stop". I have to completely exit my browser. [What are they trying to transfer? The entire contents of my hard drive?]<P>I suspect that this constant attempt to transfer data is the cause of a definite performance drop while browsing. It may also be the reason I can't stay connected to listen to their music. (Although I can stay connected to other internet radio stations OK.)<P>I have e-mailed this observation to the support group, but so far have not received any reply.<BR> <BR>Donna.
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Mar 07, 2001 9:58 am

Howdy,<P>I experience the same !!! It is very strange and I hope it can be cleared up. Shutting down the browser and restarting it does clear it up like you said.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR>
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 08, 2001 2:52 pm

We are looking into this problem. We had not heard of it before, but obviously it is a problem if both of you are having this problem.<P>As soon as We have found a solution to this problem, we will let you know.<P>Kevin Shively<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby dkm32 » Fri Mar 09, 2001 8:48 am

We seem to now have two choices on how to connect to Beethoven.com: the IMTuner and clicking on "Listen..." on the Homepage.<P>The IMTuner doesn't always work because the sonicbox website is down or overloaded. Once a connection is made, it drops quite regularly.<P>Clicking on "Listen..." brings up the "Your info box..." which I have to fill in each time I want to listen. Yes, I clean cookies off my computer on a regular basis.<P>I like listening to Beethoven.com, but I listen at work. I can't spend that much time "working" at making a connection to beethoven.com.<P>Donna
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby Kevin » Tue Mar 20, 2001 12:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dkm32:<BR><B>Yes, I clean cookies off my computer on a regular basis.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, unfortunately the cookies are the only way technically for us to know the demographics of our audience, which is the only way our advertisers will advertise with us. I will look into ways for you to save as few cookies as possible and still be able to connect to the stream without relogging your info if you would like me to. Or, you can email CLBN at nmicek@clbn.com to find out how to do this.<P>I hope this helps.<P>Kevin Shively<BR>Director of Business Development<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Mar 20, 2001 3:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dkm32:<BR><B>Since Beethoven.com has changed the format of its home page, I constantly get the messages "Transferring data from <A HREF="http://www.beethoven.com" TARGET=_blank>www.beethoven.com</A> and the "...Waiting for reply". This is even after I have gone on to some other website. All it takes is a quick visit to the homepage and those messages start up. Nothing stops them. Even clicking on "Stop". I have to completely exit my browser. [What are they trying to transfer? The entire contents of my hard drive?]<P>I suspect that this constant attempt to transfer data is the cause of a definite performance drop while browsing. It may also be the reason I can't stay connected to listen to their music. (Although I can stay connected to other internet radio stations OK.)<P>I have e-mailed this observation to the support group, but so far have not received any reply.<BR> <BR>Donna. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>For Kevin Shively:<P>Here's a bit more information that may help debug this problem.<P>My computer at work runs under Windows NT 4, Service Pack 6. My browser is Netscape Communicator version 4.75.<P>On my wife's computer at work she does not have the problem. She runs under Windows 95 and has Internet Explorer, though I don't know what version.<P>I noticed that there is a purple bar that displays the current and next musical selections and the text scrolls from right to left. On her computer this displays fine. On mine I just get the purple bar. Perhaps the problems stated above relate to this purple bar. It would seem that there needs to be constant communication to display the scrolling text, thus the need to connect and transfer data repeatedly.<P>Hope that helps.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR>
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Wed Mar 21, 2001 8:49 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by treebeau:<BR>[B] For Kevin Shively:<P>Here's a bit more information that may help debug this problem.<P>My computer at work runs under Windows NT 4, Service Pack 6. My browser is Netscape Communicator version 4.75.<P>I noticed that there is a purple bar that displays the current and next musical selections and the text scrolls from right to left. On her computer this displays fine. On mine I just get the purple bar. Perhaps the problems stated above relate to this purple bar. It would seem that there needs to be constant communication to display the scrolling text, thus the need to connect and transfer data repeatedly.<P>...<P>It must be a Netscape "thing". I'm on NT sp6, home & work. Using Netscape 4.75. I get the constant "connecting..." message. I tried IE and the message isn't there. There is an "Applet running" message that eventually goes away. <P>Under Netscape I occasionally, see the musical selections in the purple, but not all the time.<P>This in mind, why, when I change websites, doesn't the "connecting..." message go away ??? Hmmmm....<P>Donna<BR><p>[This message has been edited by dkm32 (edited 03-21-2001).]
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:04 pm

More info:<P>I also have Internet Explorer 5.0 at work. The Beethoven.com main page PLUS purple scroller bar work properly in IE5.<P>It's only in Netscape that I have trouble.<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR>
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby dkm32 » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:51 am

Well, here's something interesting...<P>I had two Netscape Windows open...one to Beethoven.com's homepage, the other to a webpage that was running a java script. Beethoven was on top. I could see the text running in the purple box. As soon as the other window's java script completed, the purple box stopped running any text and the "Transferring..." message appeared on the Beethoven window. Stranger and stranger.<P>Donna
Donna
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:51 am

--ATTENTION: MESSAGE FROM THE TECH STAFF--<P>We have been monitoring these posts and are taking a hard look at our site architecture to locate and eliminate the problem with Netscape ("Transferring Data...") and related problems this is causing for our users. We feel we are close to a solution and hope to have one in place VERY soon.<P>Thank you for your patience. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.<P>Kevin Shively<BR>Director of Business Development<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby Kevin » Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:51 pm

To everyone having this problem mentioned above,<P>We have found the problem and are working to correct it. The problem was in the Java applet we were using to update our Now Playing information.<P>We have temporarily changed from a Java applet to a Javascript for our Now Playing scroller. This has eliminated the problem, but it means that you must refresh the page to get correct information. Currently, the now playing information does not update automatically. We are working to correct this, but we simply wanted to eliminate the Java problem first.<P>Kevin Shively<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Apr 04, 2001 1:30 pm

Cool guys ! You have a scroller that works well with Netscape now. I have not tested it with the Internet Explorer Viru...er, browser.<P>Here's an idea, if you want one.<P>When commercials are playing the CLBN window shows pictures that are pertinent to the commercials. When music is playing there is just a picture of Ludwig. Is it possible to put the "Now Playing" and "Next" selections there either with or without Ludwig ?<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.<BR>
treebeau
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Radio-Active