Technical Stuff

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Re: Technical Stuff

Postby Kevin » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:47 am

I'm sorry I haven't stayed on top of this thread as well as I should. I do have some answers for sopme of your posts. We do very much appreciate all of our continued dedication to Beethoven Radio. Your listening continues to fuel our growth and development.<P>As to iM Tuner, I am told that a completely new and much improved version is due out this spring. They are hard at work on it as we speak.<P>As to bandwidth, it's true what EJ says about being close to the backbone helping your connection. You can, however, set your buffer on your player to a longer setting. I have a cable modem and use a setting of 30 seconds. It takes longer to load up, but it's much more stable. In fact, the other day I had my connection up for - get this, guys - just short of 25 hours without buffering! I even made a screen image of the window to show my colleagues (I'll send it to you if you need proof). Granted, it's the longest I've ever been able to manage, but we are making strides in that direction.<P>Barfle (and anyone else who wants to know) there's a little trick to restarting your player that I'm just now putting up on our help page. If you click with your right mouse button to the left or right of the CLBN logo (wherever there's open html space) and select "refresh" from the pop-up options, it will reload the player portion of our player window and you don't have to close the player and reopen it to start it back up.<P>Oh, and phatchett, as far as listening to any "marketing" types, if you're referring to me, I'm actually a classical musician and composer by training and got hijacked into this part of the biz by circumstances of our economy and society's inability to provide adequate opportunities in the arts. I suppose I'm a marketing type, but one that shoots from the hip and calls it like I see it. I figure if I tell it to you straight, your appreciation will earn me your loyalty. I hope I'm right.<P>Regards,<BR>Kevin Shively<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:24 pm

Kevin, busy is good. It looks like beethoven.com is growing like crazy, and if it weren't for the technicians, there wouldn't be any signal getting out to me.<P>But with a 30 second delay, how can I ever be caller #12? :) <P>And from the time of your post, you work typical IT hours! :eek:<p>[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: barfle ]
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby dkm32 » Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:40 am

Kevin:<P>The problem that I have is with the Real player. It will work for a while...somethings many hours...then it gets the following error: Requested file not found. The link you followed may be outdated or inaccurate.<BR>rtsp://rx-lvl3-wa36.rbn.com/farm/pull/tx-rbn-sea52.rbn.com:2030/encoder/clbn/clbn/beetho/live/live32.rm<P>When I try to re-start it (even from the webpage), it continues to get the error.<P>For several reasons, I prefer Real over WMP.
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby Kevin » Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:51 am

The problem you mention about REAL is a problem that we frankly don't have a good answer to at this time. If the network gets too busy, it can sometimes throw up this message. I'm continuing to work with our technology partners to find ways to avoid this, but, as of yet, don't have a satisfactory solution.<P>As far as Barfle's concern about the delay preventing someone from being "caller 12", all Internet listeners are on varying delays based on the number of "jumps" through the network to get to you. For many people, this may be 1-3 minutes, regardless of their buffer setting. For this reason, unless we are doing a local contest (since we do broadcast Beethoven Radio on the AM in Hartford, CT) we tend to stick to email-based contests. This helps to level the playing field.<P> :D
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby thomkenney » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:56 am

I have the same problem, and it's quite frustrating. I have investigated it to some point and think the problem is on the CLBN side of things. <P>Rather than going back to the home, just click on the little beethoven.com window that pops up when you first want to listen and type Alt with the left arrow key together. This will move you back one page in the little window and will automatically reconnect. At that's a little time saver for you.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tobyz:<BR><STRONG><A HREF="http://www.beethoven.com" TARGET=_blank>www.beethoven.com</A> has really great music to spend a day on the computer with. (I do find the commercials a bit intrusive, but, hey, you've got to stay on the air somehow.)<P>I listen to the station via a broadband cable connection, using Windows Media Player. I find the connection to <A HREF="http://www.beethoven.com" TARGET=_blank>www.beethoven.com</A> just closes after random periods of time - sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. <P>Does anyone else have a similar problem? Is there any solution? I have to go back to the Home Page to open a new connection window when that happens. :confused:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thomkenney
Section Player

Previous

Return to Radio-Active