WTMI-FM Miami to Die

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

WTMI-FM Miami to Die

Postby RWR » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:20 pm

It has been announced that WTMI-FM will change formats from classical to talk at noon on 12/31/01. This is a great loss to south Florida. I am sure many Beethoven.com staffers know that WTMI-FM was the forerunner for what is now Beethoven.com. I know that I will miss WTMI-FM whenever I visit south Florida, and I will express my displeasure to Cox Radio.
RWR
Section Player

Re: WTMI-FM Miami to Die

Postby treebeau » Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:12 pm

Howdy,<P>That's sad. I practically grew up on WTMI and really missed it once I moved from Miami. When I got internet access at work I was pleased to see that WTMI streamed their broadcast through Real Player and that eventually became Beethoven.com.<P>How did you come to know WTMI ?<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby RWR » Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:36 pm

I frequently visit south Florida and always have WTMI going in the car or wherever I happen to be. I will sorely miss it when I visit there next month.
RWR
Section Player

Postby Kevin » Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:17 am

Yes, we are fully aware of not only our beginning at WTMI, but their decision to switch formats. Although most of us are in Connecticut and did not work directly for WTMI, we do continue to have an office in Coral Gables.<P>Let me start by saying that we sympathize with the South Florida listeners who are losing their classical music on the FM dial. It has become an all too familiar theme to see classical music disappear from FM radio. While we understand we can't replace everything they've lost, we hope to continue to provide a source for classical music listening for them and everyone else who cannot find classical music on the radio.<P>When we sold WTMI to Cox in July of 2000, we tried to install some measure of security for the local listeners to retain a classical station, due to our many years in Miami and our interest in the well-being of those listeners. Part of that agreement was that we would get the name WTMI and the WTMI.com web site if they changed formats within a certain time. Since they have done that, we are building out a new WTMI.com web site powered by Beethoven Radio. We want to provide South Florida listeners with a place for them to get cultural information for their area in connection with an online option for listening to classical music.<P>For anyone in or interested in the South Florida cultural scene, we will invite you to keep an eye on WTMI.com in the coming days and weeks to see our new site.<P>Sincerely,<BR>Kevin Shively<BR>Director of Business and Web Development<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:47 pm

I remember when KFAC in Los Angeles was bought and sold several times, each new buyer was assuring us that the format wouldn't change. Now they are playing rap and hip-hop.<P>Fortunately, KKGO (now KMZT) decided to fill in the gap, and is now one of two classical stations on the air in LA, the other being KUSC which also airs a lot of NPR talk. Not that that's bad, but it's not music, either. Apparently KMZT is doing OK, because they have been at it for 10 years and seem pretty stable. I hope they can hang on.<P>I sympathize with the folks in Miami who are losing a friend.<P>Jim
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby dmtoo » Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:47 pm

Hi,<P>Here is a comment I've submitted to Cox Radio with copies to Ft Laud Sun-Sentinel and Miami Herald:<BR>-------------------------<BR>Greetings:<P>Yesterday, I got the news you plan to abandon the classical music format.<P>You may have your reasons for this, but serving your market area is not one of them. Exactly what is it Cox Radio expects to gain from such a move? Surely Cox has enough other properties dealing in bang-bang, boom-boom noise euphemistically called 'music' and others with various levels of talk-lunacy to fulfill that market segment. Not to mention competitors who already do the latter 24/7.<P>It's hard to believe this market with several million listeners has lost touch with tradition and history to the point of collapse! It would seem reasonable that at least one radio station and enough erudite advertisers would not only maintain an audience, but continue to cultivate and expand said audience. <P>America did not get where it is by serving the 'lowest common denomnator' alone! And by tending toward the latter, America's 'common denominator' becomes lower still. Your proposed move seems absurd in view of the present world turmoil. This is a time when many are seeking a connection with the more constructive elements of history for relief from the lethal tensions here and abroad!<P>So, I ask again, what is it Cox Radio expects to gain from this change? I already know what your listeners expect to lose!
dmtoo
Section Player

Postby audiogirl » Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:23 am

I sympathize, although I'm not too familiar with the region. Florida is touted to be heavily populated by retirement-age folks, so one would think there would be a target age group for classical, if not some other type of music that appeals to this demographic. (I know I'm stereotyping, here.) I wonder if our changing economy has figured into this. <P>It's a sad fact that radio and TV stations often have to target the groups that tend to have the most expendable cash. From what I can gather, that's not often our retirement-age folks.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Dec 19, 2001 6:55 pm

Hi dmtoo. You're to be commended for your letter. Don't expect much, except that your name will probably go onto some consumer lists. Intelligence and taste are no match for greed and ignorance. As for catering to the lowest common denominator, that's been the case on radio and TV for about 50 years. Sure enough, look where it got us and where we're going. I only wish I could think of something that would work in reversing the trend. Unfortunately, decisions based on bucks (primarily) have taken a toll, not only on TV and radio presentations, but in education, politics, and sports. Sorry for the downer.<P>Audiogirl, the mystery of Florida and bad representation of the older set continues. First Bush wins and then Music loses. What next???<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:59 pm

Unfortunately the lowest common denominator of a data set is representative of what is most common in that data set. It has been not untruthfully said that democracy is the dictatorship of the 51%. If that is true of democracy it is even more true of a consumption-driven economy. <P>Kevin, we'd like to see Beethoven Radio or WTMI on XM radio (http://www.xmradio.com)! Soon! Unless XM is just another flash-in-the-pan, here-today-gone-tomorrow fad like so many other heavily marketed "next big things." With a national market though, there should always be room for several Classical stations on XM.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 21, 2001 9:28 am

As far as Beethoven Radio being on XM or Sirius Satellite Radio, that possibility is not out of the question. We have looked into it. Currently, I don't know that we have anything in the works for that, but never say never.<P>In the meantime, we simply hope to provide WTMI.com as a place on the Internet for South Floridians to keep up on their local arts scene. We are also adding a Forum on this Bulletin Board specifically for WTMI users to share information and comments with each other.<P>Kevin Shively<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby FLZapped » Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:05 pm

TALK?!?!? they're replacing our classical format with TALK!?!?!?!?!<P>Doesn't that crap belong on AM? <P>Just what South Florida needs on FM: some screaming looney pandering to the emotion driven gutter swine. Bad enough to change formats, but TALK?!?!?!? <P>Thanks Cox.<P> :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Regards,<P>Bruce
FLZapped
5th Chair

Postby kolcz » Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:16 am

Check out <A HREF="http://www.bachandroll.org" TARGET=_blank>www.bachandroll.org</A> <P>WTMI's morning DJ's (Lyn Farmer and Dee Silvers) have setup a website <P>Ed
kolcz
Section Player

Postby FLZapped » Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:14 am

Well, I was wrong, but that didn't make it any better. Rave dance music. How wonderful. Especially te 4 profanities within the first minutes of broadcasting.....<P>I'll be here during the day at work and will also be checkin on Dee's and Lyn's site regularly too. <P>Woody Tanger is trying to purchase a radio sation. I hope he is sucessful. At least he won't have to go out and restock the music media as he regains control of it.
Regards,<P>Bruce
FLZapped
5th Chair

Postby Gabriel » Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:52 pm

This whole thing is outrageous! I didn't even know anything about this till after the crime had been committed. On new year's eve my friend told me he had heard about a "new" radio station that played only "techno" style music. I was interested- until he tuned in to 93.1 FM. I looked twice to make sure. I even went to my car and pressed my preset for WTMI just to make certain this wasn't so.<P> I am very disappointed, sad and even angry. WTMI was unique. I like the fast-paced, energetic contemporary music as much as anyone else. But, there is a time for everything, and anyone with a little bit of sense will agree that it's definitely, without a doubt, not worth losing our only (but by no means lacking) classical and instrumental music station to yet another dance music station.<P> I was never much into the happenings on the station. But, whenever I wanted to hear something different and inspiring I would turn to WTMI. I often listening to WTMI while on my way to High School in the mornings. My mother usually drove me there, and I had her radio preset to certain stations, including WTMI. And after that, I listened to WTMI often whenever I was driving myself.<P> WTMI played an interesting variety of classical music. Apart from the grand and famous Mozart and Beethoven, I remember hearing Yodeling music, which I had never really heard before, the patriotic Star Spangled banner (how often do you hear that on the radio these days?), and even some of my favorite Star Trek instrumental pieces.<P> I appreciate what Beethoven.com is trying to do, but it just isn't the same. I use a Macintosh, and I'm really not a fan of RealPlayer and I won't touch anything Microsoft. But, more important than that is that although I also listen to radio at home, I listen to it a lot while driving, and I can't get Beethoven.com music on my car radio. (maybe this is a good reason to subscribe to Satellite radio). In fact, I've been listening to CDs much more lately, while WTMI has remained one of the few stations that I still listened to frequently.<P> This is unbelievable! I am not happy, and I want to make it known! Do any of you think it would be possible to organize some kind of massive letter-writing campaign or a public demonstration of some sort? This would seem the best forum to organize such a protest.
<A HREF="http://GabrielMorales.net/" TARGET=_blank>http://GabrielMorales.net/</A>
Gabriel
Section Player

Postby kolcz » Wed Jan 02, 2002 11:18 am

The following are quotes by Mr.Disney regarding the change in format at WTMI that appeared in the Miami-Herald:<BR>===========================================<BR>"There was a feeling that no one was doing this kind of music," said WTMI's new program director, Mike Disney. "It has a beat. It's a very active-type station targeted at young adults who want to live that kind of South Florida lifestyle." <BR>"The fact is classical as a format has been dying all across the country," Disney said.<P>"It was a difficult decision, but a decision that had to be made. There was...some better opportunities to change the format and increase revenue share."<P>============================================<BR>My comments:<P>No one else was doing classical music either except for Public Radio in a limited fashion so why bother changing WTMI. Why didn't Cox simply start another station with their new format ?<P>Young adults want to live that kind of lifestyle ? EXCU-U-U-U-SE ME !! I have 2 teen-age (16 and 17) age kids. They have no desire to live that kind of lifestyle. They are both classical musicians but also enjoy some rock,hip-hop,etc music as well. When they want to listen to that kind of music, they turn to Power 96 or Y-100, etc. However they were regular listeners of the 'classical' WTMI. Now they have no where to tune-in. Purchasing classical music on CD's is an option but their budgets are limited. In fact, most of their CD collection consists of classical music.<P>The only reason (IMO) that classical radio is dying across the country is because of people (and corporations) like Mr. Disney are KILLING IT. <P>I'm certain the decision to change WTMI's format was NOT difficult at all (and I suspect Cox had planned to do so even before their purchase of WTMI). It was strictly for more profits. <P>WTMI was profitable. Perhaps not as much as many other stations but it's important to note that it was NOT loosing money. It was stated that when Cox purchased WTMI a couple of years ago for $100 million, that it would take over 12 years to recoup that investment.<BR>Just think....for that $100 million investment, they didn't even get the rights to the call sign or the music library. Does that sound like it was a wise business decision ? What did Cox get for their $100 million ? Office space and broadcasting equipment ? Didn't the Cox board of directors or stockholders notice ?<P>I hope that Mr. Tanger, former owner of WTMI and current CEO of Marlin Broadcasting (who still owns the rights to the WTMI call letters and their music collection) can find the support and financing to start another classical radio station.<P>Who's laughing all the way to the bank....Marlin Broadcasting or Cox ?<P>If I owned stock in Cox....I would have sold it immediately. Perhaps the current Cox stockholders should do so.<P>Ed <P> :mad:
kolcz
Section Player

Postby rediaz0001 » Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:02 pm

:( Sad it is my heart to listen to nothing!<BR>As a proud father I tuned to 93.1 for my kids to have the opportunity to enjoy true music, but calamity hits the sound waves coming from the speaker of the radio. My son, 9, immediately acknowledges that was not the music that should have come when pressing the number 2 preset-button of the radio. Where can now turn to for them to acquire such now? Where will I listen to our national anthem at noon?<BR>Now I know whom NOT to thanks for that.<BR>I hope someday again we will have such a distinguish radio station in South Florida.<BR>Thanks beethoven.com for the opportunity to listen, but can you somehow are in my car too
classical music listener
rediaz0001
Section Player

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:10 am

We are waiting impatiently for the day when we can put Beethoven Radio in your car. We hope it will come in the next few years, although you never know what developments might come down the pike. Wireless Internet connectivity isn't that far down the road and there may even be other options.<P>We hope you'll tune in to us in the car just as soon as we can manage to make it available!<P>Sincerely,<BR>Kevin Shively<BR>Beethoven.com
Kevin Shively
Kevin
4th Chair

Postby SweetOldBill » Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:30 pm

I have listened to WTMI since they switched to "Talk Radio" and have heard no talk as yet, just lousy music!
SweetOldBill
Section Player

Postby SweetOldBill » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin:<BR><STRONG>We are waiting impatiently for the day when we can put Beethoven Radio in your car. We hope it will come in the next few years, although you never know what developments might come down the pike. Wireless Internet connectivity isn't that far down the road and there may even be other options.<P>We hope you'll tune in to us in the car just as soon as we can manage to make it available!<P>Sincerely,<BR>Kevin Shively<BR>Beethoven.com</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
SweetOldBill
Section Player

Postby SweetOldBill » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:12 am

Kevin,<P>Thinking of adding XM Radio to Beethoven.com?<P>Bill<BR>Miami
SweetOldBill
Section Player

Next

Return to Radio-Active