328 KBS or better audio streams?

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

328 KBS or better audio streams?

Postby superich » Fri May 10, 2002 12:59 pm

I absolutely love beethoven radio since discovering it through apple i-tunes tuner service 12 months ago. I love it so much I want to hear it in greater than 64 kbs audio stream. I was wondering if you guys would also like an 328 kbs true cd quality stream like I want? I would even be willing to pay for it. what are your feelings on that as well?<p>[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: superich ]
superich
5th Chair

Re: 328 KBS or better audio streams?

Postby EJA » Fri May 10, 2002 8:04 pm

I find that beethoven's 28K stream is vastly superior to other Internet station's 100K+ streams. My upper-mid-fi (Bose model 100) speakers and cheap amp (RCA SA-155 integrated) don't get everything out of it, so I don't see the point of wasting more bandwidth on even a 64K stream. If I get a better amp, maybe. But then it's my job to zealously guard bandwidth, so I have to be somewhat consistent.<p>[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: EJA ]
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby superich » Fri May 10, 2002 8:56 pm

Thanks for your reply<P>Are you an information technology professional?
superich
5th Chair

Postby EJA » Sat May 11, 2002 1:53 pm

Yes. This board has quite a few techies on it. <P>(Sorry about the now-deleted BTW comment in the previous post; it was intended for Haggis. Somehow I got confused.)
– EJA

EJA
3rd Chair

Postby superich » Sun May 12, 2002 9:25 pm

I too have noticed that the 64k stream on beethoven actually sounds as good as some people's 128 kbs streams. That is a lot of bandwith a difference of half do they specially process the sound some how or maybe it is because they are 100 percent digital. I was just curious as to the group's thoughts.
superich
5th Chair

Postby EJA » Mon May 13, 2002 4:41 pm

Beethoven.com used to have a page all about their system, but I can't find it now. As I recall they have some unique encoding technology. Perhaps they do encode directly from the CD so that there is never an analog signal to introduce noise; I don't know. I suppose that Mr. Larsen could tell us something about it seeing that he helped set it up.
– EJA

EJA
3rd Chair

Postby superich » Wed May 15, 2002 1:00 am

Dear EJA,<P> I am a techie wannabee and I just found this really cool thing apple released this cool new rack mount server you can see pictures of it at <A HREF="http://www.apple.com." TARGET=_blank>www.apple.com.</A> I hope you think it looks cool in pure titanium case and it is fully windows compatible. Check it out let me know what you think of it. Thanks for the reply I would love to find and chat to the beethoven system adminstrator guy you told me about and find out the audio streams.<P>Cheers,<BR>Rich Walston
superich
5th Chair

Postby superich » Wed May 15, 2002 1:01 am

I meant about the audio streams.<BR>silly me and my errors.<BR>Rich W
superich
5th Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Sat May 18, 2002 2:50 pm

the quality of the stream is certainly related to the kbps rating, but it isn't the whole story. a lot of it simply has to do with how well it was encoded and how clean the source material is. i don't actually listen to beethoven radio that often (i know, i know), but when i do i am pleased with the audio quality. it does sound better than most other internet radio stations.
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby CLarsen » Mon May 20, 2002 10:30 am

Hello, I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.<P>One of the main reasons for our signal quality is the digital audio path. The system is centered around a 32 channel digital audio router that interfaces with our digital studio consoles and the computer storage system. CD's are either played from our Denon decks through the console or are ripped into the computer system and stored at a 4:1 data compression ratio via Mpeg 2 encoding. For rock and other forms of music you can get away with squashing the data up to about 16:1 using MP3 encoding without noticing too many artifacts but with classical music content, the artifacts really stick out at higher compression ratios.<P>Because our Chief Technical Officer is primarily a terrestrial radio engineer, he insisted on using similar professional audio processing equipment as our FM stations to improve the sound quality. Our microphones feed into Symetrix processors that adjust the tone of our announcers voices and outputs a digital signal to the consoles. All audio is then mixed and fed into an Orban 6200 digital processor that slightly compresses the audio (not the data) so that the dynamic range of the music messes with that of a quality computer speaker system. This box was designed specifically for Net broadcasters and helps to prepare the audio for “lossy” encoding. Many Internet radio stations lack this kind of hardware processing and simply play CDs or MP3s into their encoders which can result in distortion during loud, exciting passages, and loss of audio for quiet measures.<P>Regarding the bit rate, there has been talk of bringing the MP3 stream up to 128Kbps and we may do so if Shoutcast allows us. However in my experience the 64Kbps stream has been very stable (compared to higher bit rates) with fewer drop-outs when I’m straining my cable connection at home. Increasing the bit rate would improve the sound quality some but would also increase drop-outs for users with less-than-stellar high-speed Internet connections and then we would be at the point of diminishing returns. Of course if there were enough subscribers, we would be happy to offer a stream at 328Kbps but this would be very expensive to implement due to the exponential increase of bandwidth usage and most listeners wouldn’t notice any difference compared with the 128Kbps stream. Having the Orban processor allows us to stream at a lower bit rate by optimizing the sound before it’s encoded.<P>The studio page is at: <A HREF="http://www.beethoven.com/digitalstudio.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.beethoven.com/digitalstudio.htm </A>although I need to update it.<P>Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for your support of Beethoven Radio! <BR> :D
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby superich » Mon May 20, 2002 12:08 pm

Dear Chris,<P> Thanks so much for the really wonderful post and finally it explains how you guys get the 64k to sound as good as 128 k of other netcasters. Thanks for the information.<P>cheers,<BR>Rich Walston
superich
5th Chair

Return to Radio-Active