Howard Stern

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Howard Stern

Postby Brodie » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:24 pm

This being a radio chat I don't think much could go along without atleast metnioning him, eh? Not to be confused with Isaac Stern though. So I guess bares asking (nonetheless I just want to get the numbers on this) does anyone like or listen to Howard Stern? And even if you don't feel free to chime in with your two cents.<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Re: Howard Stern

Postby DavidEB310 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:22 pm

I have listened to Howard Stern and crew EVERY Morning since 1996 when I got him out of Boston, and now out of Providence, RI. When I lived in Central New York, I would occasionally get him out of Syracuse in Utica, and YES, I would always listen. About 10 years ago he had a funny show on WWOR Channel 9 out of NJ. Watched it every Saturday night, and at that time ordered a 2 CD set called, "Crucified by the FCC." Funny...funny...funny...Grandpa Muenster, Sam Kinnison and Jessica Hahn featured. Great set! Private Parts great movie and book (and I've heard that from non-Howard fans). He puts on a great show (and I'm guessing in private he's a pretty nice and sincere guy). What one does on-air is a lot like what one does on-screen...it's acting folks! :roll:<p>[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: DavidEB310 ]
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:25 pm

I tried and failed to find anything worth spending my time listening to.<P>It's a little better on TV, when the he talks to naked women (blurred out) but even then, there's not much worth listening to.<P>Maybe I'm lazy, but I believe I have better ways to spend my time than learning to appreciate his kind of "acting." :roll:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Brodie » Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:27 pm

Glad to hear someone who is in to classical actually likes him besides myself.<P>Anyone else like him?<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:14 am

It's easy to laugh with and enjoy Howard Stern, IF, you can do the following:<P>1. Don't take everything so darn seriously, including yourself, and be able to laugh at yourself.<P>2. Don't be so darn Politically Correct -- that's half the reasons we have so much litigation and groups angered at one another.<P>3. Don't hurt anyone, and remember, that words don't hurt anyone as well. (Sticks and stones...)<P>4. Accept people for who they are without becoming the "Moral Majority. Don't judge!<P>5. Remember, To each their own. :)
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby tancred » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:36 am

The thing people always say about Howard is that he victimizes(insert group here). The truth is, he nevers abducts people and then forces them to be on the show. These people volunteer to appear on his program and therefore get what they deserve.<BR>Tanc<BR>P.S. Spot on about political correctness! :D
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby greenvoices » Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:54 pm

I have seen Mr. Stern's TV program on Saturday night on cable and can find some portions funny and entertaining. But, overall I do not view it on a regular basis. I do find portions lacking good taste and restraint. As for Dave's reply wherein he says do not judge and words do not hurt. I DO judge and society as a whole does judge. I believe that's whay we have courts of law. As for words, YES they can hurt and cause sorrow and misery. Someone says Jew and overnight 7 million human lives are snuffed out without remorse in order to cure a "problem."
greenvoices
Section Player

Postby DavidEB310 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:16 pm

Mr. Lamb,<P>I think you're confusing a few issues here. It's funny that perceptions like these occur frequently when discussing the Howard Stern Show. <P>Courts have a Judge yes, that is one who hears and decides in a court of law. Judges by nature decide the winner or loser of a competition. However, there must be facts and truths presented, or determining factors that would deem a loser or make a person or party guilty. <P>That is different than folks who judge another person without truths, facts, or complete determining factors. Many people seem to do that when it comes to Howard Stern.<P>As for words, there were more political, economic, and sociological circumstances in WWII era Germany that lead to the horrific extermination of the Jews. It wasn't simply "a word or words" put forth by Hitler. There was a bit more to the influence held by the Nazi's in Germany. That is why the Jews were endangered and why many Germans who did not share the philosopy of the Nazi's fled as well. I know; my Aunt was one of those Germans who got out of Nazi Germany and who lost a lot of family due to more than words.
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby Brodie » Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:20 pm

Jeez man. <P>Judging? Who really cares I mean come on. I could judge every person I see walking down the street to be a serial rapist with a background in killing small dogs but I don't. I guess the only to say to a comment like that one..."Judge not lest ye be judged yourself"<P>As for comparing Howard Stern to Hitler...come on man have more sense than that. Howard Stern's goal in life is to make people laugh. Thats it. Hitler on the other hand wanted a problem solved. Use your brain....<P>Oh and Hitler was no worst than Stalin, and no one ever mentioned him. Over th course of 10 years Stalin killed over 30 million people, come on. Not to say Hitler was a good guy or anything...Because he isn;t but still...<P>And just one remark since I am a huge World War fanatic...It was only 6 million Jews. Along with 7 million other human beings who had all the world to live for, die along with them. Our little soilder boys went over there so we could stop a problem, and they were killed over something as stupid as that we didn't like what he was doing. Hundreds of millions of people died over those two Wars, so if your going to mention one type of people that died, at least show some respect to the others that perished as well...<P><BR>Brodie<BR>P.S. Sorry I just hate when people only talk about the Jews throughout that war.<p>[ 09-28-2002: Message edited by: Brodie ]
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby Brodie » Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:25 pm

Oops I think I hit a wrong button or something....<P><BR>-Brodie<p>[ 09-28-2002: Message edited by: Brodie ]
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:27 am

Brodie, well put.
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby Alans75 » Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brodie:<BR><STRONG>Jeez man. <P>...It was only 6 million Jews. Along with 7 million other human beings who had all the world to live for, die along with them. Our little soilder boys went over there so we could stop a problem, and they were killed over something as stupid as that we didn't like what he was doing. <P>[ 09-28-2002: Message edited by: Brodie ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ONLY 6 million Jews??? Although other nations suffered large numbers of deaths, if you look at the percentages you will see why "people talk about the Jews so much"<BR>Out of 8,301,000 Jews living in Europe before 1939, 5,978,000 were killed in the war<BR>the vast majority being civilians. That is 72%. Can any other nation's losses compare with that?
Alans75
Section Player

Postby barfle » Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:40 am

Sorry, Brodie, but when you go trivializing the holocaust, you're going to get a lot of flack, and I'll add mine to the pile.<P>I'm not a Jew, I'm not a Nazi, there were some Germans in my ancestry but I never met any of them. But the Jews got the worst of what mankind can do to mankind. Like Alans75 said, 72% of the Jews living in Europe at the beginning of the third Reich were killed just because of their ancestry. Sure, other people died fighting in the war, including some of my family members, but it was NOTHING like what happened to the Jews.<P>'Nuff sed.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby audiogirl » Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:17 pm

If I remember correctly, around 11 million folks were put to death by the Nazis. Other groups targeted were gypsies and homosexuals, just to name a couple. I think Jews are most often mentioned because they were the main target.
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:52 pm

Just a note in defense of Brodie...<P>It seems to me that he was NOT making light or providing trivial nature of the numbers of Jews killed. I think he was just reminding everyone that the Jews as well as many others suffered due to the War. What happened was one of mankind's greatest atrocities, but I think he's simply reminding everyone that many folks died trying to prevent and protect 6 or 7 million people.<P>I don't think that there is anyone out there who is not sensitive to the issue of the Holocaust. It is one of those subjects that we all find difficult detailing or explaining our views with the appropriate words or phrases. I'm guessing we all share many or most of the same thoughts.<P>This topic on Howard Stern got way off-base.<P> :roll:<p>[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: DavidEB310 ]
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:10 pm

Yeah, get back to Howard Stern.<P>On second thought, please don't.<BR> :D <BR>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Brodie » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:51 pm

At least good old David's defending me...<P>This topic really exploded eh? First we're on the subject of Howard Stern then the Holocaust boy oh boy this forum knows how to change the subject. Not that, that is a bad thing in all cases.<P>Alans...When I say only 6 million I mean it. If you think that number is grand through out the span of 6 years then you have no idea what you're talking about. Thats a million a year. Sure thats a lot. and sure it was horrible. I'm not denying that what they did was wrong or anything, but think about it this way. Kahn killed over 1 million people in less than 2 hours. Human lives up in smoke that quickly can put things in perspective. And think also of the casualities that wanted nothing to do with the war. Soldiers that were drafted without consent. Millions of men were sent to their deaths without the knowledge of what will happen. Never did someone point out they could die. Never did someone say that they can die. Never did someone say they will die. They died trying to make the world safe for democracy and as long as democracy was safe that's all that matter. Not all the millions of lives that were lost matter as long as democracy was safe. Bullcrap. And if you're going to say that one particular creed color or race suffered, mention them all.<P>Whew, sorry there, as I said these wars get the ol blood flowin'<P>Barfle, I don't believe I ever tried to be trivial about the war. I just said it was wrong to compare it Hitler to Howard Stern.<P>And whoever said that the Third Reich started in 1939 better go back to class. The holocaust started in 1939, the Third Reich had been around since the end of the first world war and got really noticed in about 1933 for obvious reasons...<P>And David, I couldn't agree with you more.<P><BR>-Brodie<P>P.S. So who likes Butt-Billionaire?
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> When I say only 6 million I mean it. If you think that number is grand through out the span of 6 years then you have no idea what you're talking about. [...] And think also of the casualities that wanted nothing to do with the war. Soldiers that were drafted without consent. Millions of men were sent to their deaths without the knowledge of what will happen. Never did someone point out they could die. Never did someone say that they can die. Never did someone say they will die. They died trying to make the world safe for democracy and as long as democracy was safe that's all that matter. Not all the millions of lives that were lost matter as long as democracy was safe. Bullcrap. And if you're going to say that one particular creed color or race suffered, mention them all.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>consider my mind officially blown.<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>ONLY six million????<BR><LI>are you somehow suggesting that the jews WANTED something to do with the war??<BR><LI>if you think the soldiers who enlisted or were drafted were unaware of the gravity of their situation, you're fooling yourself.</UL><P>now, i'm asking this question in all seriousness:<P>are you on drugs or something?<P>i'm trying to figure out if you say these things and mean them, or if your posts are simply streams of consciousness. i find the former rather hard to believe...
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby Brodie » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:59 pm

Ben have you ever read Slaughterhouse Nine, Johnny Got his Gun, or The Blame Game?<P>To answer your question (in all seriousness, as you so sasacantly put it) no I am not on drugs.<P>But why question what I say? I know the Jews wanted nothing to do with this. Nor did Gypsies or Gays. Nor did the American or British or French (or whatever nationality as it may be) Boys want anything to do with it. Sure six million is a lot. And ys the Jews suffered the most and for that I'm sorry, but why were we dragged in?<P>If I may sum up a story. Say a young man, healthy, sweet, good by all means of the word wanted nothing more than to hold and to laugh and to love and to be loved by those he held dear. Say that man was drafted, though he may not have wanted to go he couldn;t very well be the coward of his town. So he joined up, and he loses everything. Say he loses sight, taste, touch, smell, everything. His arms his legs or all appendagess for that matter. Did he want that? No! If he had known that was going to happen he would have turned tail and ran. When the man came to draft him hewould have said "you know what mister, I like my life." He would have flipped that man the bird and ran.<P>But no.<P>He died defending something that he had no personal opinions about. He died to save another life. But no we don't count him. He doesn't count. <P>I'm sorry I get like this when its about the Wars, but if you're going to say one type of person suffered, at least show some condoloences to the others that died trying to save them...<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:34 pm

well i have actually read slaughterhouse FIVE. <P>now six million IS a lot?? i'm confused.<P>please, point me to the location in this thread where it was stated that that casualties of war don't count. because i can't find it.<P>your story shows so little understanding of human nature it's sad. i don't understand why you're so worried about us somehow not giving this fellow the credit he deserves, when you won't even give him the credit of being a man.<P>i wish you'd organize your thoughts a little more. maybe i would understand your point then. or maybe it's all part of your strategy...
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Next

Return to Radio-Active