Answer to your questions about the stream

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Answer to your questions about the stream

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:00 pm

We completely understand your issue with this. If you would, please, let me explain a little of the history behind this. We had to enter into an agreement with a partner company to pay some of our costs in order for us to remain in business through very difficult economic conditions. Due to our tremendous growth, however, now the same costs that threatened our existence are doing the same to them. They were finding that there were a lot of listeners turning the stream on and walking away for hours and hours (many over 24 hours at a time!). Prospective advertisers, at the same time, were demanding more and more proof that people were actually listening during these longer and longer listening hours we were reporting. Adsertion, our partnering company, was forced to implement this "checking" system to ensure that you were still listening. <P>Unfortunately, however, it was implemented <BR>sooner than we thought, so we were unable to warn our listeners about it. We also thought it was only going to happen every 8 hours, and they ended up making it every 4 hours instead. Other stations using their technology who pay all their own costs were actually asking for it to be every 2 hours! We are still trying to make it every 8 hours, and will continue to look at whether this is something we can live with at all. <P>Your views and opinions are very important to us and they do have an impact on how we make decisions. I appreciate your sharing them with us! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to send them to helpme@beethoven.com<P>If you are having problems with not being able to listen at all we sincerely apologize for the problems you are having trying to <BR>listen to Beethoven.com. We are working with our streaming providers on some improvements that many of you have been asking of us for some time. Unfortunately, however, these upgrades have been causing problems, particularly with people using the old Windows NT operating system, which Microsoft is currently ending support for at the end of this year. Other problems seem to stem from the use of older Flash players, as well. For most, if not all, listeners, updating one or both of these components will solve the problems at our site, and many others. Most of these problems are specifically with people listening <BR>with the Windows Media player and do not seem to affect those listening to the MP3 stream. Once again please let us know if you need help, send questions to helpme@beethoven.com<p>[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Nicole Marie ]
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Re: Answer to your questions about the stream

Postby barfle » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:09 pm

Thanks, I was just going to ask about that. I'm sure you don't want to annoy your listeners, and I suppose it's not a real hardship to have to click a couple of times every four hours, but I was wondering just what the heck was going on. And I'm in my seat listening 90% of the time you're on my computer.<P>You're still the best thing on the net, ahead of ebay! Good luck getting through your financial situation. Lots of us love you guys, and we'd be lost without ya!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:41 pm

Could it be that improvements have been made? It seems to me like the checks are less frequent (I don't think it's because I'm getting used to the interruptions, either). There also seem to be fewer glitches occurring as well. If that's the case & I'm not imagining it (just as I'm writing this the stream "hicupped" :D :cool:<p>[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby lordofthe_strings » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:46 am

besides accessing beethoven radio through itunes at home is there a way i can get the streaming address (since it doesnt work on my pc at work) and use an application like realplayer to connect to beethoven radio? <P>thanks!
lordofthe_strings
Section Player

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:25 am

Welcome to the group, L.O.T.S.....wait....oh no!....not another string player! :p
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby RWR » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:35 am

Go to <A HREF="http://www.shoutcast.com" TARGET=_blank>Shoutcast.com</A> and do a search on classical. Near the top of the list will be Beethoven.com's MP3 stream that can be listened to via many MP3 players (Winamp, IMTuner, etc., for PCs). Be aware that it is a 64kbps stream, so you need a broadband connection. Enjoy! :)
RWR
Section Player

Postby dkm32 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RWR:<BR><STRONG>Go to [URL=http://www.shoutcast.com]Shoutcast.com[/URLBe aware that it is a 64kbps stream, so you need a broadband connection. Enjoy! :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I listen via my 56K modem just fine, thank you. And, believe me out here in the sticks, I'm luck if I can get a 30-40K connection!
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby EJA » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:27 pm

Frankly, my opinion on the "checking" is that it has been associated with a substantial improvement in quality of service. I was mildly annoyed when I first encountered it, but I've had much fewer connection drops and hiccups since that system was implemented. I'm not complaining! <P>I still wish there was a one-click button to report helicoptering. (I learned to nag from my mother. Watch out!)
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EJA:<BR><STRONG> <BR>I still wish there was a one-click button to report helicoptering. (I learned to nag from my mother. Watch out!)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So that's actaully the term for that? I had no idea, but that's exactly what it sounded like to me.<P>Nah, I don't think it's a nagging problem. Maybe you should just be more accepting (when it comes to explanations about vocal production, that is) :) :D (a little humor!)<p>[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Return to Radio-Active