E-mail woes?

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

E-mail woes?

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:26 pm

I'm having a lot of difficulty accessing my b.com e-mail box, even to the point that I can't get a message through to the help address. Is anyone else having these problems? It's only cropped up in the last couple of days. :eek:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Re: E-mail woes?

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:34 pm

Are you behind a firewall? Are you trying to get your email from a different computer then you usually do? It sounds like a firewall.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:33 pm

I am using a different computer, but I've been using it for a few weeks and had't had any trouble with it until now. The one thing I've noticed since I first posted this is that I had started trying to relay on my saved password, and when I do that I can't get in (and yes, my password is correct), but if I type it all in every time, for some silly reason it works. Oh well, I won't be using this computer forever. :roll:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:43 pm

I know the firewall at work won't let me get to my beethoven email.<P>I don't have any problem getting through from home, but I'm also getting about 50 spams a day now.<BR> :mad: <P>Is there any way to set up filters?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:51 pm

We're fixing the spam issuse! Chris Larsen our wonderful IT engineer has written a program that will block spam before it hits your email accounts. It's in the Beta testing stage and so far it's working great. We will be posting it to all user email accounts by the end of the month. I'll keep you posted as I hear more info. But this new program will stop spam! Send thank you cards to Chris Larsen... he deserves it!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:41 am

That's great news, YRH. Mind you, I wasn't complaining about the free service!<P>And my thanks in advance to Chris Larsen. :)
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:17 pm

<B>THANK YOU CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!</B>
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Judybug » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:31 am

Operatenor, <P>I was talking with my IT guy about your problem this evening and he wants to know whether you're having problems elsewhere on the net, or is it just b.com?
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of every day thinking.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:15 pm

Hi Judybug,<P>It's just b.com e-mail I'm having trouble with. I think it may be the laptop I'm using. If that's the case, in a week it won't be a problem anymore as I'll be home and using my own computer by then. :D
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Judybug » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:49 pm

Operatenor, <P>Congratulations on getting to go home soon. I'll let my IT guy know that you think it's the laptop. He loves solving problems of this nature, so even though you're going to be going home soon, he'll probably try to figure out why it's not working. <P>Judybug
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of every day thinking.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:40 pm

FYI-<P>The spam filter will be up around May 1. Chris Larsen our programming god who designed the spam filter, went to Mexico! No not for a vacation, he works for a sister station that is broadcasting live from Mexico this week. He has to go with them for any tech issues. Tough job - gotta go to Mexico to run a live broadcast... oh to be an engineer.<P>But when he returns his first order of busniess is the spam filter.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:43 pm

I've noticed quite a few messages with the notation {spam} in the title. Is that your filter at work?<P>If so, it's getting about 1/3 of the junk, without any tuning on my part. Not a bad start! :)
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:52 pm

The "{spam}" is part of the testing phase. We are checking to see if the filter can recognize spam and not reject the emails you want. Once the filter is in place you will not even see the spam in your account. It will block it before it hits your account.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:00 pm

sounds like you guys have a nice email system in the works. just out of curiosity, are there any plans to update the bb?
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:04 pm

sounds like you guys have a nice email system in the works. just out of curiosity, are there any plans to update the bb?
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:45 am

BenMurphy6, it's nice right now! :)
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sat May 03, 2003 12:21 am

BTW, now that I'm home usuing my own computer, no problems with e-mail. <P>Ben, my friends all think it's really cool that I have the e-mail address, "operatenor@beethoven.com". The only potential improvements in the e-mail system I'd suggest are: more mailbox space, less attachment stripping, and the ability to forward attachments (unless I'm doing something wrong?). I do really appreciate that b.com offers the service! :D :cool:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:25 am

Is b.com e-mail down again? I've tried to log on several times and gotten an error message stating the url is not available. :confused: :confused:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby EJA » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:35 pm

OT, go to Start | Run and type cmd in the box and hit enter. At the ensuing command prompt type:

ipconfig /flushdns

Hit enter

Now try your e-mail. ;)

The deal is, there was some kind of DNS problem yesterday or the day before with respect to beethoven.com and W2K/XP/2003 cache DNS information for the sake of speed, so the invalid DNS information from yesterday persists today. flushdns clears the DNS resolver cache, and new DNS information is downloaded, which will hopefully be correct. Werked fer mee.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:49 pm

Thanks Ethan. It actually started working again later this morning, and I was a slug about posting that fact. :o
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Return to Radio-Active