B.com evening host?

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

B.com evening host?

Postby OperaTenor » Tue May 06, 2003 5:26 pm

This is probably going to be of interest primarily on the left coast, however, do you feel b.com should have an additional accessible host in the evenings, say, 6-9pm ET? This is not meant to impugne Mr. Sincere at all.<p>[ 05-06-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Re: B.com evening host?

Postby shostakovich » Tue May 06, 2003 8:34 pm

I like the idea, and I like Mr Sincere. Who is he, anyway?<BR>Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue May 06, 2003 8:52 pm

I know nothing other than that's how he introduces himself. As far as I'm concerned, he could be it, if we could only see him & talk with him like we do Eric, Dan & Nicole.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby EricMichaels » Wed May 07, 2003 6:42 am

I think Mr. Sincere enjoys the veil of secrecy that currently surrounds him...
EricMichaels
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Wed May 07, 2003 6:43 am

Much like you did a while back...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Wed May 07, 2003 11:30 am

As a longtime and frequent late-afternoon and evening west coast listener, I can vouch with some confidence that Mr. Sincere is the inviolable Don Shamber, sometime rock station disc jock who doubles as classical compadre.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed May 07, 2003 1:10 pm

Well, Mr. Sincere is certainly entitled to his veil of secrecy, but what about the possibility of an evening host who isn't so secretive for the three hours after H.R.H.?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed May 07, 2003 1:10 pm

Mr Sincere and Don are two very different people!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed May 07, 2003 1:12 pm

So, is he schyzophrenic (j/k)? ;)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby EJA » Wed May 07, 2003 4:54 pm

They do seem to have very different personalities, but their voices sure sound similar. In fact, I've often wondered if Mr. Sincere was the Assylum version of Mr. Shamber, you know, after he split with reality. :p

Honestly, Y.R.H., is Mr. Sincere physically distinct from Don Shamber?
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby Judybug » Wed May 07, 2003 5:08 pm

Mr. Sincere's veil of secrecy is somewhat intriguing, and is certainly a subject for contemplation, as well as conversation. However, I must agree with Operatenor that having an accessible host to follow Nicole Marie would be wonderful.

Mr. Sincere could have his own b.com e-mail account without revealing his true identity.
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of every day thinking.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby Judybug » Wed May 07, 2003 5:12 pm

I originally thought Mr. Shamber and Mr. Sincere were one and the same, but I came to the conclusion long ago that they were two different people (different bodies, not just personalities).

It is interesting to note that neither of them appear on the webcam. Are their shows taped? Are they broadcasting from a remote location?
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed May 07, 2003 5:49 pm

Hmmm...

Maybe it was a horrible, disfiguring accident as a child (j/k!!!!!!)?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Judybug » Wed May 07, 2003 10:20 pm

Childhood disfigurement is but one possibility for avoiding the camera to traipse through my fertile imagination. It is unlikely both of them would have suffered this fate.

There is obviously a logical reason for their being camera shy. Until they choose to share it with us, though, we can only use our imaginations...that could become quite dangerous.
-- Albert Einstein
Judybug
5th Chair

Postby barfle » Thu May 08, 2003 7:12 am

Actually, in this high-tech age, automated radio stations are very easy to implement. I won't say they are exactly common, because I know most of the stations I listen to seem to have live on-air talent. Automated radio stations were coming about in the 1960s. I remember KHJ-FM in Los Angeles (before the days or KRTH) being piped in to where I was working, and noticing that every time they played a particular song, the announcement for it was exactly the same! Back then, it was a very large carousel of cartridge tapes (anybody remember 4-track cartridges?) but today it's all digitized and computer controlled.

So both Don Shamber and Mr. Sincere undoubtedly record a bunch of stuff ahead of time, somebody programs the computer to play a particular sequence, and beethoven.com runs all night without a hitch without a hitch without a hitch tch tch tch tch tch

And as far as Mr. Sincere's "screen name" is concerned, I remember being told, "The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu May 08, 2003 10:03 am

Hi Barfle,

I see you as something of a relative expert in this field, so I'll ask you. Do you think it would be an inordinate expense for b.com to add an additional live DJ? I know you'd just be speculating...
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Thu May 08, 2003 2:53 pm

To amplify Barfle's cute story, I read, long ago, that a popular radio announcer (I know not whom, and I'm not convinced the story is gospel) was asked to comment on the reasons for his success. After a moment's reflection he said: "Honesty, --- sincerity, --- integrity. ------- If you can fake those, you've got it made."
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu May 08, 2003 3:08 pm

Hey Operatenor-

Without going into the budget of Beethoven Radio... I'll tell you this. People get into radio because they love it, not because it pays well. If I didn't own rental properties or have a husband to support me, I would not be able to afford a living in radio.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu May 08, 2003 3:18 pm

But, Y.R.H., you're an international celebrity! I certainly thought you guys were calling the shots! :(
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby monkeymd2b » Thu May 08, 2003 7:11 pm

according to a pediatrician who lectures to us on the economics of a career in medicine, the same thing occurs in the primary care medical field (see how I exclude those surgeons who are probably on a month long trip to europe using the money they earned from OT's operations). And unless we have side interests that we can capitalize on (clinical research interests (ie drug trials), easy specialities,etc), then we can expect, after taxes, business expenses, bills, etc, a monthly salary of $400. Of course, this guy was selected as New Orleans Best dressed professional man and if you ever see him, you quickly realize he has expensive tastes and doesn't seem to be hurting for $$. And since I just turned in my financial aid addendum, I can say I currently owe the federal government $91000 and growing! Knock on wood that I get the $10,000 scholarship again for the next 2 years (it pays to be from hawaii at tulane! who knew a louisiana-hawaii connection would exist). Well, I'm getting the hypoglycemic shakes so it must be dinner time. I could describe to myself the exact processes of my signs and symptoms related to hypoglycemia as an exercise for the licensing exam but since altered mental status is one possible sign, I think I'm better off eating first.
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Next

Return to Radio-Active