B.com evening host?

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Re: B.com evening host?

Postby barfle » Fri May 09, 2003 6:57 am

OT, I'm far from being an expert. I worked at two on-campus radio stations in my first freshman year of college (that's part of the reason there was a second freshman year - I don't have a good excuse for the third freshman year), and although I was fairly good at it, when I tried to find a paying job in that oh-so-glamorous profession, I found that I could do a lot better working for a living. But it's still a fun thing to do, and I still pay a reasonable amount of attention.

I know nothing of beethoven.com's finances, and I'm not even going to ask, since it's none of my business. But most of the radio personalities I know have other jobs that actually pay the bills. When I lived on Los Angeles, there was an announcer (Rich Caparella) who worked the classical stations - First he was on KFAC, and when that folded he went "back" to KUSC. Then KGGO (now KMZT) went classical, and he went there. I also saw him on PBS regularly, and he announced at the Pacific Symphony concerts I attended. He did a lot of things besides being the morning man of LA classical radio, and I'm sure he was one of the better paid announcers.

So I have no idea if beethoven.com could afford another live body overnight. To be totally honest, I expect the station could run without live announcers, although they would lose a little of one of my favorite features - requests played within an hour or two. That pretty much requires a human, and I like the trio they have.

As I've noted, there are stations with virtually no live operators. A guy gets a license, a transmitter and antenna, and runs the whole thing from his basement or garage. Most of the time, he's just got a CD carousel playing random cuts from his collection. He sells a few ads to help make ends meet and pay his royalties, and has a nice hobby. This isn't all that unusual in smaller markets.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri May 09, 2003 1:01 pm

I agree (of course, why would I have bothered with this topic! Ouch! Sharp pain in the temple!) about it being nice having those real people at the station. I doubt I would have much interest in this site, otherwise.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed May 14, 2003 12:14 pm

One of the internet classical stations I used to listen to before I found beethoven.com has about a three-hour tape, played continously. The change it about once a week. Since I listen at work, and usually don't get to listen continuously, the repition didn't bother me that much, as over the course of day I only heard about 4 - 4 1/2 hours of music through the 8 hour day. By the end of the week, however, I was usually looking for somehting else to listen to.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Thu May 22, 2003 11:07 pm

Maybe Mr. Sincere is a "character voice" made up like charachters on "The Simpsons" or "South Park".
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:57 pm

I'm sorry Mr. Sincere. I didn't know I would kill the conversation (?). I think you're wonderful!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:06 pm

Hey Serenity, do you mean that sincerely?
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BenODen » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:28 pm

I like how Mr. Sincere is the anthisis of sincerity! He's ALWAYS too busy for anything but announcing! *grin* How can THAT be sincere? *laugh*

It's cute, if predictable.

-Benito
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:03 am

Another of barfle's famous anonymous quotations: "The secret to success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jnowacki » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:19 pm

Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
Mr Sincere and Don are two very different people!
Boy! I'll say they are!! One is tall and thin, the other is tall and a big bear of a guy. They're BOTH terrific people, and have great senses of humour, and they're BOTH extremely camera-shy....

If you bribed me with a HUGE amount of money, I could probably come up with photos of the two so you can judge for yourselves... :D
john

"When all reasonable force fails, use a bigger hammer!"
jnowacki
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:50 pm

All of the money I have in my pocket...ooh, wait...not wearing pants right now. :o
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby jnowacki » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:57 pm

<small>[ 06-10-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: jnowacki ]</small>
john

jnowacki
4th Chair

Postby jnowacki » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:58 pm

Originally posted by operatenor:
All of the money I have in my pocket...ooh, wait...not wearing pants right now. :o
Ummm, do I assume that when you sit down and get up again, you make change? :eek:

-john-
john

jnowacki
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:18 pm

John, LMREO!

Jim "two bits"
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dkm32 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:12 pm

Originally posted by jnowacki:
[QB][/QB]
John Nowacki. Hmmm. Where have I heard that name before??? :roll:
Donna
aka: Josef Strauss Nut
Vienna Waltz Nut
Nut in general
dkm32
3rd Chair

Postby toni » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:35 pm

Years ago I was working in the ad biz and hired a radio announcer - whose voice was deep and rrrrreally sexy - to do some voice overs... imagine my surprise when I showed up at the station to meet a 5'4", 112 lb kid of 16 yrs old....

Sometimes things are better left to the imagination... ;)
toni
5th Chair

Postby Andante » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:26 pm

Come on you guys, who cares who that man incognito is! He probably is a member of AA (Announcers Anonymous), a most unique new cult for I have never heard of a DJ working under a pseudonym.

What bothers me more is that Mr. Incognito never announces what music is scheduled – here I agree with barfle – his repertoire of sweet nothings is probably pre-recorded and computer inserted between fragmented concert pieces.

Cheers
Andante
5th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:44 pm

Which brings us back to my original question: Wouldn't it be nice for b.com to have an evening (like, 6-9pm ET) host? According to H.R.H., they're paid slave wages ( :D :D :D ), so overhead shouldn't be much of an issue.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:13 am

Andante, does that mean that Chuck Roast, Sandy Beach, Charlie Tuna, and Phil Dirt are all their real names?

I remember way back when, we had Little Ceasar, Lord Tim, and Wolfman Jack on the air. John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, and Sting weren't born with those names, either. My folks didn't name me "barfle!" It's show biz!

<small>[ 06-12-2003, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: barfle ]</small>
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Andante » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:47 pm

No operatenor, it’s still cheaper to have a recorded message with a sexy voice telling us: “You’re listening to Beethoven Radio”, and forget what’s being played. The voice of Mr. S. is nothing more than a recorded “station-identifier” (which is required by law), and on occasion has the audacity to exclaim ostentatiously in a rather childish manner that all other classical music radio stations in the world have an "attitude problem". And the rest of the sorry tale that goes with it…
These infantile shenanigans I can hardly call “show biz”, barfle. Don’t you agree that your post was slightly out of context if not overstated? Didn’t I make it clear I couldn’t care less who Mr. S. is?
If you care to count, there are more people in this thread concerned about the identity of Mr. S. rather than having an interest in a true life evening host we can relate to. What a pity.

Cheers
Andante
5th Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:57 pm

You should change your Login from "Andante" to "Molto vivace".
Serenity
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Radio-Active