O.k. Just to stir it up...

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

O.k. Just to stir it up...

Postby McCridhe » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:56 pm

"Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here."

:roll:
O.k. "City" is a far stretch of the imagination for where I'm living.
This is three hours from anywhere that has something vaguely resembling an airport large enough to handle more than piston poppers.

Stray Dog & I moved here from Fall River, Massachusetts. We moved to Fall River from Kansas City. I went down to get insurance for the cars, and the nice lady asked me how I liked moving to the "big city".

I looked at her and said "What big city?"

She huffed "Well Fall River has over 500,000 people!"

I said "That makes it a tie the fourth smallest town I've lived in, the other being Lincoln, Nebraska."

Well... now it's tied for the fifth smallest town I've lived in...

Currently living in a town of 2600 people, which takes up it's rank as second smallest town I've lived in.

The smallest town I lived in, I also grew up near there, on a farm. Population 145 from one direction and 179 from another direction... depends on which direction down Hwy 136 you're traveling. I think they were counting the dogs from one direction, and the cats from another.

"Hot New Formats"? Uhm... won't know about them thar things for another 10 years or so.

That is unless I get a real job.

Rural areas are notorious for lousy pay. I suppose that old saw about the cost of living being lower out here still persists, right along with quiet living. :roll:

I've lived in three ghetos, and I've never known so many druggies and criminals as I have here... unfortunately, they seem to think I'm a sympathetic ear, and they talk to me. They actually think they're being picked on! I have to wonder if they really hear what they're telling me... :confused:

"How do you get your classical music?" If the wind's just right, and I'm not behind the wrong hill, I can get an NPR station in my car. Unfortunately they're not playing music when I'm driving, generally. I eat lunch in my car and they have classical music then - but I tend to tune in to another station when they're having opera music... I'm not much on vocals, and have enough of hearing human voices at work. Otherwise, I listen to Beethoven.com at work. I use the excuse that I'm sharing my office with people who have business that I really shouldn't be hearing... privacy and all that... mostly I don't want to hear other people's soap operas in progress... thank goodness I have a "boring" life!!! GAHHHHH!!!!

(Gee, do I sound a bit of a crab or something?)
Mother Mo Cridhe!
It's Kate McCridhe!
McCridhe
5th Chair

Re: O.k. Just to stir it up...

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:21 pm

Nah, but you do sound like a Dilbert fan.

:D

Now if you really want to "stir it up", c'mon over to the Barracks and jump in with both feet.

<small>[ 11-11-2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: OperaTenor ]</small>
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:09 am

Why all the moving?
She does have great taste in music.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:00 am

Glad to meet you Ms Kate.

I too came to the Ozarks (NE Arkansas) from a metropolitan area. I'm in a suburb (pop 63) of a bigger town (pop 580). My wife adjusted almost immediately - she's a country girl from South Manhattan after all.

For classical here it's NPR, like you. Ironically though I couldn't get DSL where I came from, it was already here when I arrived so we can stream even the new york stations at home if want to.

I had to build an FM antenna tuned for one specific station I wanted that was just out of range. A cheap Walmart TV antenna might help your household radio pull in NPR. If there's a handyman in the house there's any number of sites with Yagi antenna how-to-make-one instructions. Mine worked better than I expected.

Enjoy the quiet - after years in the ratrace it's growing on me.

As they say in Springfield, "It is a privelege to live in the Ozarks". Welcome back!!!

:)

<small>[ 11-12-2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: analog ]</small>
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby McCridhe » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:01 pm

Opera Tenor: Dilbert hits a little too close to home at times... I'm not sure I'm a fan or not... and I look too much like that one gal with the frizzy hair...

Serenity: Gee... I didn't even mention a quarter of the moves...
I've been a technogypsy. Following the paycheck.
Only the last time I moved here to help my folks out when Dad was in health crisis.

analog: I'm sure we listen to the same NPR then. That antana sounds like it just might be the ticket. :)

The quiet I like. Actually, there isn't enough quiet. The neighbor is a drunk. Drunks are deaf, as you have probably noticed, and blow out their throats trying to be heard by long dead conquistadors, so they sound like toads with a hernia. At all hours of the night. :mad:

I just miss shopping at places that are not Wal-Mart. At 6' tall, size 10-1/2 feet, 34" - 36" inseam, depending on the cut, Wal-Mart just does NOT hack it...

And neither does the paycheck...
Mother Mo Cridhe!
It's Kate McCridhe!
McCridhe
5th Chair

Return to Radio-Active