Beautiful Music Radio

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Re: Beautiful Music Radio

Postby dai bread » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:37 pm

My stereo has a line-out from the amplifier to the tape deck, or a line-in to the tape deck, whichever way you like to look at it. It's not hard-wired, so I simply unplug it from the tape deck, join it to an RCA/stereojack cable and plug the jack end into my computer's line-in socket. Works a treat.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:32 pm

I have all those connections as well, but there's a bit of a geography problem - the wires would be pretty long, and running from room to room to start the recording, then start the music, yadda yadda, is far less convenient than adding a high-quality intermediate stage to the process.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:52 pm

Whereas my computer & stereo are adjacent.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:53 am

I would think the fan noise would be annoying if you were trying to listen to music.

While my room is far from soundproof, it is often a haven from the extraneous noises of the world, where I can listen to the music as it is recorded.

Now, if I can ever get that laundry room done, and move on to a couple of other rooms in the basement...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Brither » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:31 am

Wow, long thread....

I don't recall a Beautiful Music station in our house, although, my childhood was spent in the late 70's and 80's. My Dad introduced me to music when I was young with classic rock and some of the Beautiful Music type recordings (Mantovani, Paul Mauriat, Percy Faith). I went to a record show a number of years ago and purchased "Love is Blue" on a 45 for my Dad and me. It's NOT classical, but I do enjoy it. My cable company has digital music channels, one of which is Easy Listening. It's basically Beautiful Music.

I love music while I work. I should say, I need music while I work. I had a fairly mind-numbing job in marketing at a large newspaper that could not hold my attention nor provoke the creative juices to flow. Music on my work computer's CD drive was the key. I did however hear a comment from my manager at the time that will set many of you off. I was listening to my recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, one of my favorites to this day, and he walked by desk saying, "Man, it sounds like an elevator over here." VIVALDI IS NOT ELEVATOR MUZAK!!!

Even now back in grad school I need music while I study and write papers. That is how I discovered Beethoven.com. I typically listen to classical, jazz, or Indian/Middle Eastern.
"It is no measure of health to be adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Brither
Section Player

Postby barfle » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi, Brither, and welcome aboard. My mother often had KUTE (a "beautiful music" station in Los Angeles/Glendale) on a house-wide intercom when I was in high school (the early 60s). What they played was low-dynamic orchestral versions of Sinatra type music. As I believe I noted earlier in the thread, it was music intended to be ignored.

Love is Blue is not really elevator music, either, although I might put it in a category I lovingly refer to as "couch and fireplace." Lots of artists did soft ballads from the time I started paying attention until I gave up on pop music. Even Elvis Presley did Love Me Tender. And that wasn't recorded just to cover up the noise from the neighbor's kids.

I do have a few "beautiful music" albums in my collection, but it's not a large number. It's usually because there was some other feature of the recording, like it being quad or having a picture of a naked woman on the cover somewhere. Yes, I can be bought, sometimes quite cheaply.
:roll:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Radio-Active