HD Multicasting

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

HD Multicasting

Postby ai4i » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:58 am

HD Multicasting has great potential for classical music lovers throughout the US. Many FM stations are doing classical on their HD-2 streams. Miami, without this format since the demise of WTMI (Miami) in 12/31/01, now has Classical 24 on 91.3 and will have a second on 93.9 by the end of January '06. Receivers are still pricey at this time.

If the owners of WCCC (and WTMI) would choose to move WTMI to their HD-2 stream at some time in the future, the service area would go from this to this. In both cases, it is the small red circle that matters most.

Post where the other classical HD-2 & 3 stations are and what kind of classical or which national service they air.
Last edited by ai4i on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Re: HD Multicasting

Postby Marye » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Thanks for a new station to listen to, ai4i... can't get Beethoven.com anymore and the boards are just too political here so I need a new place to go.
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:37 pm

Sorry to hear you can't get B.com anymore , Mary.

:(
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 pm

Originally posted by Marye:
can't get Beethoven.com anymore and the boards are just too political here so I need a new place to go.
It's a shame you can't get b.com anymore.

Stay away from the Barracks. The rest of the board is pretty non-political. We'd hate to lose you.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Yes indeed!
And tell us, what have you been listening to lately? Good musicals?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby ai4i » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:57 pm

Marye wrote:Thanks for a new station to listen to, ai4i... can't get Beethoven.com anymore and the boards are just too political here so I need a new place to go.

You don't have HD Radio in Canada, but you do have something which is universally considered to be much better. It is called DAB, and places such as London Drugs (London, Ontario) should have recievers out now.
Last edited by ai4i on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

HD Multicasting

Postby classicalfan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:50 pm

I think Classical 24 is okay but for the most part, the problem I have with HD purely from a programming standpoint is that most of the stations being offered sound like jukeboxes on the radio. In other words no announcers or identifying of songs.

I realize the stations will be commercial free for a number of months but after that, no guarantee exists that new talent will arrise from this technology. This is because the same people that are making the wrong decisions regarding what constitutes good over the air radio these days are in charge of HD.

I think HD is just an excuse to avoid the obvious answer. Improve the quality of regular over the air radio before worrying about other technologies.
classicalfan
classicalfan
5th Chair

Return to Radio-Active