Curiosity

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Curiosity

Postby Nonamel » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:51 pm

I know that people commonly state that music can increase the capacities of the mind. However, because there are thoushands of brilliant minds out there, do they all have an exquisite taste for that which we work so hard to properly pronounce? Also, does anyone out there believe that music makes a person more dedicated?<BR> If so, then what about the men and woman that work so hard to defend our country? Do they also have this taste for music, but were so dedicated that they would partially, if not wholly, give that up? THat is "the true hero."
I don't have a name, so if you must give me a name, then give me Noname.<BR> Nonamel
Nonamel
5th Chair

Re: Curiosity

Postby Brodie » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:22 pm

If only you were on the board a few weeks ago. Too bad we dredge this old topic up again.<P>Music...can it make a person more dedicated. Maybe, but not one particualar music. Not a ingle piece of music can make everybody work harder faster or more effecient. But music in general can do that sometimes.<P>Though I don't get by true hero at the end. It didn't make any sense to me. Well than again I'm stupid. But I say anyone willing to die for their country's is either stupid or brave. Mayeb a little of both. Either way God Bless 'em.<P><BR>-Brodie
Brodie
4th Chair

Postby TuneGirl » Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:19 am

Music often has a patriotic theme-the 1812 Overture for example, or the national anthem. I don't think any music could inspire me personally to march into battle but the drum and bugle corps and military bands are not there soley for the "listening pleasure" of the enlisted ranks. Also music heals, think of the New York concert after 9/11. Or for those football fans watching the Patriots ascend to NFL victory after U2s halftime rendition "It's a Beautiful Day". Music is definitely intended to give us the adrenlin rush at sports events. The organ music while watching Larry Bird play at the old Boston Garden, or Roger Clemens pitch at Fenway Park, all meant to get the crowd and athletes going. I agree Brodie, whatever gets those folks in the military out there-I'm grateful they are doing it....
TuneGirl
5th Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:15 am

Personally,<P>I like the music after the battle is won.<P>Nothing sweeter than hearing "Old Blue Eyes" crooning "New York, New York" after a Yankees win! <P>Of course, there's the old staple, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS as well. But now, I understand Red Sox nation mentality when they bellow the war cry, "Wait till next year!"<P>"New York, New York" will be playing all winter in preparation for a new season of American League East battles and the crowning achievement again of Division Champs. <P>P.S. The New York Rangers get motivated to tunes like Ace Frehley's, "Back in the New York Groove," amongst some others. Some tunes are just great motivators!!!<P>However, I'm getting a little tired of "We Will Rock You," and that horrible music that the Patriots play when they score(I think the music actually got it's start in the NBA), it's purely obnoxious.
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby tancred » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:52 pm

A study was released just yesterday stating that dogs who listened to Bach were better behaved than those listening to Britney Spears...
"What, the flames already?"<BR>The last words of Voltaire, a life-long atheist.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:21 am

I think that same study also indicated that dogs who listened to Britney were more scantily dressed and were also more promiscuous than those that listened to Beethoven.<P>BAD DOGS! :cool:<p>[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: DavidEB310 ]
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby tancred » Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:17 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are correct sir!!! :p
tancred
4th Chair

Postby Nonamel » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:16 pm

Did the study say anything about Cats that listened to Beethoven? I know this is getting a little off of subject, but this is called curiosity.
I don't have a name, so if you must give me a name, then give me Noname.<BR> Nonamel
Nonamel
5th Chair

Postby priya978 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:44 am

I think that whoever marches out on a battlefield for their country is suicidal, or crazy, basically something's wrong with them.
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby TuneGirl » Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:42 am

Well maybe so, Eugene. But military engagement often is motivated by financial factors. Wonder with the stock market tanked... what's next? Don't know if all these factors are related but who on this board hasn't been affected by the market downturn? Does anyone on this board expect to turn a profit in the near future from the current market?
TuneGirl
5th Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:07 am

First rule of thumb, if you're in the market you have to be ready for a long ride -- this is especially the case with mutual funds that are to fund retirement. The market cannot be gauged. The market is cyclical. Buy now and hold. Today's lows are the future highs. BE PATIENT.<P>Second rule: don't invest in the market if you expect a quick return, and don't use disposable income (especially if you plan on a big purchase -- like a home -- in the next 5 years). Basically, someone should only invest IF: 1. They're debt-free, 2. They can pay their bills on-time 3. 401(k)'s and IRA's contributions have already been maxed out for the year and additional income is available to invest.<P>Third, if you can invest: Invest regularly (an automatic payment is best) to allow for Dollar Cost Averaging. Again, attempting to "time" the market is impossible, however, if you invest on the 15th say of every month, Dollar Cost Averaging will provide a clearer picture into the prices you receive upon purchase. Held for the long-haul, and the investor should see gains (captial gains, divivends, and probably even cost).
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby TuneGirl » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:55 pm

Well being as this board topic is Curiosity now I'm wondering what is "Dollar Cost Averaging"? Also have heard the adage "buy low sell high". Patience is always good advice in a bad market. Don't know if you classical music/stock market aficionados have heard of other products, such as "stock options" and "short-selling"? Always looking for ways to finance the "tunes".
TuneGirl
5th Chair

Postby tancred » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:58 am

Quite so, David! The time to add to your 401k is when the market is tanking because your purchasing power goes way up. You can't say enough about the long haul and bargain shopping when stocks are low. The wife and I are almost back to "pre-bubble burst" levels.
tancred
4th Chair

Postby jazzman » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:09 am

Hi TuneGirl,<BR>Just happened upon this website today. I'm wondering if they ever play <BR>Andrés Segovia. My son is just starting to get into classical guitar. I couldn't resist the questions about the market.<P>Dollar cost averaging refers to allocating money in the same investment at regular intervals. The result is that the average amount you pay for each share - your average cost per share - will always be lower than the average price per share. As for selling short, usually people think of investing as buying an asset, holding it while it appreciates in value, and then eventually selling to make a profit. Shorting is the opposite; an investor makes money only when a shorted security falls in value. It's pretty risky and not recommended if you're a novice to the stock market. Stock options are completely different from stocks in that a company usually awards them to its employee. And with the recent steep decline in the market, they are likely to be without any value. Hope this helps!<P>Jazzman
jazzman
Section Player

Postby TuneGirl » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:26 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll have to put down my latest good book and start reading the Wall Street Journal. As for Segovia, his music is beautiful. You may want your son to listen to some of the Flamenco guitar musicians too, Jesse Cook for example.
TuneGirl
5th Chair

Postby tellsons » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:11 am

To Nonamel,<P>I do know for a fact that both Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein were fairly good violinists. When Einstein got into a tough problem, hew would pick up his violin and play for a while. He said it helped him concentrate, and he also said that some of his most dificult problems were solved while he was playing the violin.<P>Thomas Jefferson played violin, and when he got stuck when writing the declaration of independance he paced the floor for a while and if he still couldn't think of a good wording, he picked up his violin and began to play.<P>So yes, I do think that music has an actual affect on the brain, be it good or bad, depending on the music.
tellsons
Section Player

Postby Nonamel » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:31 pm

Of course, when he wrote the Gettysburg Address, he listened to the rythm of the train tracks beneath his feet as he rode to Gettysburg and wrote on the back of and envelope "Four score and sever years ago..." While music may affect it, does all sound in general?
Nonamel
5th Chair

Postby usarmycadet » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:12 am

Eugene A., you stated that, <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I think that whoever marches out on a battlefield for their country is suicidal, or crazy, basically something's wrong with them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is a disturbing statement. Believe it or not, there are those of us who love our country so much, and are so appreciative of the freedoms this country has given us to enjoy, that we are willing to die for our country in order to perpetuate American libeties for future generations.
"[Y]ou may fly over a land forever; you may bomb it, pulverize it and wipe it clean of life--but if you desire to defend it, protect it, an dkeep it for civilization, you must do this on the ground, the way the Roman legions did, by putting your young men into the mud."<BR>--T.R. Fehrenbach, "This Kind of War"
usarmycadet
Section Player

Return to The Debate Team