What is classical music?

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: What is classical music?

Postby BigJon » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:15 am

Originally posted by bignaf:
I don't know all of the asian anthems, but some of them sounded western merely because of instrumentation and harmonization. the melodies were all oriental sounding (the ones I've heard).
That makes sense in retrospect.

Originally posted by bignaf:
The Israel anthem also appears in "the Moldau" by smetana. or something really similar to the 1st phrase of it. it's a good anthem since it's easy to sing, much easier than the horrible American one, but unfortunately is in minor mode so it doesn't sound very confident and martial. it's more nostalgic-like.
I got the same feeling listening to it. It had that sad, yiddish fiddle sense about it.

BigJon
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby musicworm » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:26 pm

Wow,I'm back here! What a day!I don't wanna sleep this night at all.
Let me see,o...This is a good thread!
musicworm
5th Chair

Postby BigJon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 pm

BigJon wrote:In listening to the national anthems at the Olympics, I detected that some of the Asian nations have western sounding anthems. Am I hearing this wrong? Also, can any of the anthems we heard be considered classical music? I really liked the music to Israel's anthem.

I remember asking this question years ago (about 7.) I recently got to hear the Dutch national anthem; Wilhelmus. Sure sounds classical to me.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 am

I remember asking this question years ago (about 7.) I recently got to hear the Dutch national anthem; Wilhelmus. Sure sounds classical to me.

You are quite right: It is reminiscent of the beginning of the 4th movement of Brahms' 1st symphony, taken from a German folk tune used for a nationalist student anthem - Ich hab mich ergeben - also featuring in his Academic Festival Overture, and quoted by Mahler in a minor key in the opening of his 3rd symphony (as pointed out by Norman Lebrecht in his book Why Mahler?).
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 pm

The German anthem is probably the best-known. It comes from String Quartet in C major (the Kaiser-Quartet), Op. 76,3 of Joseph Haydn, composed in 1797.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:08 am

dai bread wrote:The German anthem is probably the best-known. It comes from String Quartet in C major (the Kaiser-Quartet), Op. 76,3 of Joseph Haydn, composed in 1797.

Yes, and partially quoted in the second movement of his Trumpet Concerto.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Musical Notes