Jerry Springer comes to Air America Radio

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Jerry Springer comes to Air America Radio

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:35 pm

Yup, you're right, it's all lame.

Except maybe the bit about the growth in numbers of their listenership, perhaps? Or the bit about Clear Channel citing progressive talk radio as the fastest growing market in the industry?

At least we don't have O'Reilly or Hannity polluting the air here in Sandy Eggo.

:puke:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:54 pm

Nicole,

I hardly think I had my "panties in a wad". All I did was suggest they add Rush to the lineup to improve their ratings.

There may have been some reference to Rush/Franken in the data I posted, but it was because Franken's site had a headline with something to the effect that "We're Beating Rush".

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:17 pm

So send an email to Franken, don't add that comment into a post to me.

Don't call me a liberal (like it's a bad thing) and assume I'm on one side. Please read my posts without your personal bias. I am stating numbers that Arbitron published and telling you that radio numbers are not good or bad. Arbitron is paid for by radio stations. Arbitron gives stations their numbers (but only the stations that pay into the service, if you don't pay you don't get the reports - whole other bag of worms for the radio world.) Radio stations use those numbers and info to learn about their audineces so they can get ad clients. It's about money.

Yes stations use numbers to say we rock and the other station blows but that is not what I am saying. I'm just pointing out that Air America did have some impressive numbers. It had all of radio perking up and going "Wow, where the hell did they come from?' No one expected them to last and they have and they pull big numbers in important demo groups. In radio it is somethng to be impressed by. That is the position I am coming from and not as a liberal.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:04 am

Nicole,

I only called you a LIBERAL because you attempted to discredit Ms. Malkin's numbers because you said she was a CONSERVATIVE. I never said it was a bad thing. Some of my best ex-friends are liberals. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:52 am

Originally posted by piqaboo:
I find them all annoying - liberal, conservative, etc. The ranting makes me nuts.
:roll:

Ditto on that one, mi amiga. I can't listen to ANY of them (despite my political leanings). They all have huge agendas and push, push, push them. Too much for my sensitivities. People are going to think how they want to think - you can rarely change that.
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby sadie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:59 am

Nicole Marie-Thanks for the link to Air America. I can tune in on my computer now.
sadie
sadie
4th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:47 am

You are welcome Sadie! Enjoy... what until Franken does Pirate Day... funny stuff. He often does the entire show as a pirate and the guests play along too. He wrote for SNL all those years, amazing and twisted sense of humor.

Shap- Forget it. You will never get it. Didn't know you and Mrs. Malkin were so tight? She was posting skewed numbers. She twisted them to fit her article. I was pointing out that radio numbers are not good or bad (as Mrs. Malkin would like you to think) The numbers are what they are and are only good or bad based on the future direction that individual station wants to take. She wants you to think shares matter, they really don't. It's your demo that matters and even the shares she posted, I have not been able to find what her source was. It's not in the books so I question her article.

(This serves to remind me why I avoid threads you post in.)
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:18 am

Nicole,

RE:Didn't know you and Mrs. Malkin were so tight?

Oh, yeah! We're buds. We usually pop round to Starbucks for an espresso after the PNAC meetings and make up statistics for her column. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:14 am

Funny, I don't see either of your names on the PNAC membership list....

Besides, I thought a prerequisite of membership was to be a Bush administration member..........

Oops, wrong thread.....

:D
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:06 am

Well, We minor members don't get star billing. I didn't even get to sit in with the big guys when the tri-lateral commission dropped by for the annual State-Of-The-World-Domination-Conspiracy meeting and dinner took place. Fortunately, a friend of mine was bartender for that event, and he clued me in on the happenings.

Just as well, though, I hate driving out to Area 51 in the winter. Those dead aliens give me the creeps.

V/R
Shapley

<small>[ 04-15-2005, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Shapley ]</small>
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:14 pm

Shapley, I'm glad you are able to take the social cut in stride. Perhaps next year we can take up a collection, increase the dues you pay, and get you bumped to a higher level: "Grand Knight Poobah" of the Ultimate World Domination Conspiracy and Attempt to Establish Control Thru Fear. At that level, you get a hat and a lapel pin, and the special silkscreened coffee mug.

This board simply does not have the necessary smilies for the above message. Take it from me, they are rampant thru-out it. :D
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:55 pm

"Are you pointedly ignoring my "Who the heck is Godwin?" question, or did you just overlook it?"

Jeez, your google finger broken???

Counter-meme

"So, I set out to conduct an experiment - to build a counter-meme designed to make discussion participants see how they are acting as vectors to a particularly silly and offensive meme...and perhaps to curtail the glib Nazi comparisons.

I developed Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

I seeded Godwin's Law in any newsgroup or topic where I saw a gratuitous Nazi reference. Soon, to my surprise, other people were citing it - the counter-meme was reproducing on its own! And it mutated like a meme, generating corollaries like the following:

Gordon's Restatement of Newman's Corollary to Godwin's Law: Libertarianism (pro, con, and internal faction fights) is the primordial net.news discussion topic. Any time the debate shifts somewhere else, it must eventually return to this fuel source.

Morgan's Corollary to Godwin's Law: As soon as such a comparison occurs, someone will start a Nazi-discussion thread on alt.censorship.

Sircar's Corollary: If the Usenet discussion touches on homosexuality or Heinlein, Nazis or Hitler are mentioned within three days.

Van der Leun's Corollary: As global connectivity improves, the probability of actual Nazis being on the Net approaches one.

Miller's Paradox: As a network evolves, the number of Nazi comparisons not forestalled by citation to Godwin's Law converges to zero.

In time, discussions in the seeded newsgroups and discussions seemed to show a lower incidence of the Nazi-comparison meme. And the counter-meme mutated into even more useful forms. (As Cuckoo's Egg author Cliff Stoll once said to me: "Godwin's Law?

Isn't that the law that states that once a discussion reaches a comparison to Nazis or Hitler, its usefulness is over?") By my (admittedly low) standards, the experiment was a success."

(read it all, it's interesting)

There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress.

Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups.

However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

Thanks for the info Nicole, I didn't know that.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:04 pm

Thanks, Piq.

I took the test for conspirator 3rd class at the first of the month, but the results won't be in till May. Wish me luck.

I think I did fine on the written test, a little shaky on the oral exam It's funny, but I get nervous at these meetings, it always feels like the walls are watching.

Unfortunately, right after the test, when they unveiled the new logo, I mentioned that the way the letters P N A C were arranged, they looked like a swastika. I was joking, but I got some nasty looks from the higher ups. Apparently they didn't see the humour in it. Go Figure.

Anyhow, the German Beer they serve is great.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:18 pm

And here I thought you could BS with the best of 'em! Are you sure its German beer? Could it have been made in Qingdao (Tsingtao)? Was it Godwin beer?

There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress.
Hilarious! We have a similar rule in our dinner-party group. We time from the start of the party til the first mention of a certain person we all have in common. We make faces at the first person to bring that name into the discussion. In the 18 months I've been participating, the longest go was under 2 hours, and the shortest was about 4 minutes.
I'm going to have to search *naf's thread to see how far it got before it would have died by application of Godwin-cide.

<small>[ 04-15-2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: piqaboo ]</small>
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi Haggis,

Thanks for the enlightenment. I assumed Godwin was either your alter ego, or one of your drinking buddies, so it didn't occur to me to google.

:D
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:31 pm

Sorry, Piq. Looks like I have to end the thread since I Godwinned, or Godlost, or whatever, I mentioned swastikas. Besides, I'm receiving threatening e-mails from my fellow conspirators, seems I've given away some kind of secret or something.

Next time we meet up, I'll show the neat handshake they taught me.

Oh, and yes, it was German beer. Private label stuff, actually bottled in Argentina. I'll bring some back next time I take a load of nuclear power plant plans down there.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:37 pm

Piq,
not sure *naf's thread would count since it's mainly lots of small threads lumped together.

Several of the other more specific threads have suffered that fate tho.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:40 pm

One of my choir friends, who's a stickler for singing accurately as written, would cause auto-thread-shutdown every time she posted. :D Her username is notenazi !
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 am

Air America Radio Files Chapter 11

This has been a long time a comin'. According to one site: Air America has struggled financially since its inception. According to documents filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, the company lost $9.1 million in 2004, $19.6 million in 2005 and $13.1 million so far in 2006.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 am

Shap....I think you have met your match (with H.R.H.) on the topic of ratings etc. You are not going to "win" this one. Let's see....hummmm....whose information is more credible?.....an objective, knowledgeable, professional in the business...or.......hummmm...someone else?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team