FBI Office Break-in

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

FBI Office Break-in

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:20 am

I'd never heard of this story before even though it was local and in my lifetime. FBI Office Break-in
So what do you think, does this kind of civil disobedience still have a place in society today? Does the FOIA negate the need for this type of action?

<small>[ 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: BigJon@Work ]</small>
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Re: FBI Office Break-in

Postby barfle » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:45 am

I gotta admit I'm in a gray area here, because I don't know what the guys who broke in knew before they did their deed.

If they were just looking for some dirt they could throw around, clearly it was a burglary and maybe even disclosure of classified documents. But if they had some idea that the FBI was breaking the law and simply needed documentation of that lawbreaking, then I feel it was justified, and nothing more than civil disobedience.

At one time, I thought the law and its enforcement were inherently good things. Unfortunately, I was quite naive, and even more unfortunately, it turns out that much of law and its enforcement are politically motivated. Our lawmakers are far too human at times.

We need whistle blowers. I believe they do more good than harm. I also believe we need the FBI to a certain extent, but that extent has clearly been surpassed many fold.

I don't remember the actress. Such things are despicable, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are criminal, as well.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team