A PLAN FOR CONGRESS

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

A PLAN FOR CONGRESS

Postby shostakovich » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:58 pm

Of course, they'll never do it. It's my theory that parties should be dismantled. Then everyone in Congress would be an individual, and his/her ideas would have to be expressed clearly. No one could assume from a label how somebody feels on a given issue. Best of all, we would not have two inept, corrupt teams fighting for power. They would all have to think for themselves. I suspect most of them don't at present.

So what's the PLAN? After the 2006 election, everybody in the minority party change their affiliation to the majority party. This would have to be done nationwide because we want just ONE (i.e. NO) party. Primaries would consist of selecting about 10 candidates. There would be a series of run-off elections to determine the president (most votes) and vice president (next most --- the way it used to be). [Similar rules for state and local elections]

Of course, it would take at least a generation to forget who allied with whom, but ultimately Congress might come to realize how much time they can save by not bashing the "other party". This still doesn't get them to do the job of representing ALL the people and not the favored few, but that might prove impossible.
Pipe Dreamer
shostakovich
1st Chair

Re: A PLAN FOR CONGRESS

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:43 pm

I want some of what's in that pipe.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:51 am

Hi Shos,

I think you're onto something. Think of all the money saved from having no more larpfests(conventions), huge, money-and-life-sucking campaigns based on partisan flaming, and the prospect of making lobbying prohibitively difficult.

Unfortunately, there's too much money to tempt politicians into maintaining the status quo.

I say military coup(hmm, where have I heard that before?! ;) ). With all of the disgruntled retired high brass finally speaking out about the ineptitutde of Rummie, maybe that'll be the catalyst to get the active duty brass going. Who knows?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:36 am

Shos,

Lots of countries have had one party rule, but it hasn't made them any less corrupt.

I guess the last one out of the minority party gets to cash all the cheques.

Political Parties give us a platform with which to associate our candidates. In exchange for party recognition, the candidate gets a share of the party's contributions and recognition. If all the current candidates declared "I'm an independent", they would have to rely on their own fundraising capabilities to fund their campaigns. Unless they had had the foresight to ban all political parties, the parties themselves would recruit new members to run under their banners, and they would share in the significant volumes of cash on hand, as well as benefitting from the significant fundraising network the parties employ. Many of the "Independent" incumbents would find themselves at a financial disadvantage against less-idealistic party loyalists with an eye for the position. I would expect the opposite result of what you hoped for as the result of such a plan. If you had ever met some of the party loyalists waiting in the wings, you'd be very happy that they're not in power. Your plan would open new opportunities for them, and that would scare me.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:24 am

I kind of like political parties. Is there punch, and who's got the fancy hats? Confetti?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:37 am

Without lobbying reform, the lobbyist would own groups of congressmen and run the country more-so than they do now.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:14 am

Originally posted by OperaTenor:
I say military coup(hmm, where have I heard that before?! ;)
Sedition! :yikes:

Piqaboo, make alternate childcare arrangements now, just in case the MIB pick OT up!

Only thing that might save him is the ;)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:56 pm

Nah, no MIB. Haggis is AWOL again....
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby shostakovich » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:04 pm

Lots of countries have had one party rule, but it hasn't made them any less corrupt.

Many of the "Independent" incumbents would find themselves at a financial disadvantage against less-idealistic party loyalists with an eye for the position. I would expect the opposite result of what you hoped for as the result of such a plan. If you had ever met some of the party loyalists waiting in the wings, you'd be very happy that they're not in power. Your plan would open new opportunities for them, and that would scare me.

V/R
Shapley

----------------------------------------------------
I know the PLAN does not address corruption. The idea is to have no party (thus no party loyalists), but rather all "independents".

I also know there's no chance Congress would adopt such a plan, for SEVERAL reasons (not the least of which is inertia). I like to think in terms of the world that should be, rather than the world that is.
Pipe Dreamer
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:29 am

Another thought - without political parties, the only people who could afford campaigns would be the rich, and those with a rich patron.

I still would want confetti, and a fancy hat.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Hi Selma. Sorry to throw water on the circus. No campaigns, either. Public funding would allow each candidate to address the nation (after a shot of truth serum) and tell how he/she would handle the issues of greatest importance. This could be rebroadcast twice a month for several months. As new issues evolve, so would new broadcasts.

Then, instead of a non-debate, the candidates would have to face a question-answer session a month before the vote. Some TV channel would be obliged (probably several would jump at the chance) to broadcast all of the above, all day, the day before the vote.
Spoil Sport
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:42 am

Shos,

No campaigns. Publicly funded elections with publicly funded advertising showing drugged candidates responding to specific 'issues' as selected by...someone. Some TV channel would be obliged ..obliged??? :(

And this is supposed to improve our freedom how?
:confused:

V/R
Shapley

<small>[ 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Shapley ]</small>
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:51 pm

Originally posted by shostakovich:
...(after a shot of truth serum)...
AHA! You've been holding out on a truth serum recipe! Hand it over, I have a list of people that I want to dose.

I still want party hats, confetti, streamers, parades, balloons. What fun is politics without a party?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Shos,

No campaigns. Publicly funded elections with publicly funded advertising showing drugged candidates responding to specific 'issues' as selected by...someone. Some TV channel would be obliged ..obliged???

And this is supposed to improve our freedom how?

V/R
Shapley
-------------------------------------------------------
The drug, truth serum, is my way of saying that politicians normally say what they think the pulic wants to here. This can be truth or lie. It doesn't matter to the politician. Most of the time they say nothing, while trying to appear meaningful.

Yes, issues selected by --- someone. Since the PLAN is unlikely to see the light of day, it's premature to pick the issues or the someones. As for the networks obliged to carry the responses, cable news networks would clamor for the opportunity, so "obliged" was a poor choice of wording.

It was meant to improve understanding by voters. I don't know where "freedom" came from.

Since you gave up political posting for Lent (sort of), I'd like to share a story I heard.

On the honeymoon night the husband tucked his wife into bed and headed for the couch. Surprised, the wife asked "Don't you want to have sex?". "It's Lent." --------pause---------
"To whom, and for how long?"
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:10 am

OK, we're doing a science fiction plot, of the utopian flavor. This lets us postulate truth serum, benevolent issues overseers, and altruistic television executives. Let's throw in honest politicians, too. Why not. It's science fiction.

I shall be the set decorator. Stand by for the abovementioned party hats, etc. Total lack of good taste accompanied by enthusiastic hilarity, coming right up. Mauve and pepto pink voting booths, and $1 yearly congressional salaries, here we come.

I'm going to get that political party, one way or another, one kind of party or another, by hook or by crook. Maybe you should have just issued me some of whatever's in that pipe. :D
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:00 pm

OK, Selma, you're hired. If Congress people will go with $1 annual salaries, I'm willing to match that for you by MYSELF.
Big Spender
shostakovich
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team