B.com E-mail?

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: B.com E-mail?

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:59 pm

Originally posted by CLarsen:
Barfle,

Does your POP3 account allow you to authenticate to the outgoing mail server? That may be the problem. Our server will reject your connection if it doesn't know who you are.
Yes. Both prodigy and beethoven require authentication, and the box is checked on both accounts.

What's so strange is that about once a week, all my outbox messages actually get sent! I have no idea what's going on, but I'll speculate in public. I have a friend whose email always rejects messages from my beethoven account because it's been identified as a source of spam. I don't know if the definition of "a source of spam" comes from the email service or from outfits like Norton, but I have Norton on my computer. Although I've tried to turn off all Norton protection while sending email through beethoven, it doesn't seem to make any difference. My speculation is that Norton won't let me send mail through beethoven, and I don't know how to keep it from doing that.

BTW, if I forward a message that came through prodigy, it goes out on prodigy, and if I forward a messae that came through beethoven, it tries to go out through beethoven. New messages try to go out through beethoven.

I have enough knowledge to be dangerous on this topic, though. Certainly not enough to be have any confidence that I'm right.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:02 pm

MAIL SERVER - DEAD AGAIN!

:(
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby lliam » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:08 am

Yup. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:27 am

For one day, beethoven's email system didn't obscure 75% of the titles of practically every message with all the "X-Imail-spam-connection" that is so annoying. Then it came back. Honestly, I don't understand the function of the spam filter when every message's title gets the spam label that simply makes it more difficult for me to determine if the message really is spam.

But good luck figuring out what's wrong with the server. It's a computer, and logic is not applicable.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:01 pm

Hi Chris/B.com,

Thanks for getting the server back up again so quickly.
JOOC, will we continue to have reliability issues? I understand this is a complimentary service you provide, so I don't mean to whine about it. I just don't want to link too many necessary communications to it if it drops out from time to time.

Thanks.

:)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:54 pm

Sorry folks but we are still having issues.

Yes we will have continued problems for some time. Personally... do not use the Beethoven.com email. It will be unreliable for some time. I know many people use it for business etc. DON'T! Please use another account for important business. I want to be honest with you; the time it will take to repair the servers is extensive and something that will cause trouble on your accounts. My advice, use another account.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi Y.R.H.,

Thanks for being honest about it. Sorry to hear it will continue to be unreliable. I really dig laying the "operatenor@beethoven.com" e-mail address on my peers and potential gigs, venues, students, etc.

Perhaps in the future.

- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Hey Y.R.H., you weren't kidding! I believe the e-mail server is currently in the corner, curled up in the fetal position and moaning softly.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby CLarsen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:48 am

For the technically minded, here's the story on our server.

The datacenter where our servers are located has been experiencing air conditioning problems and the Beethoven email server is very succeptible to heat. Over the weekend the server locked up due to the heat. I finally moved the system over to our office where the AC is much more reliable so the server should be good to go for now.
We still have an issue with the server so we're trying to find a replacement. If we do, then I might migrate the system to Sendmail with Mailscanner and SpamAssasin spam filtering which is much, MUCH better than the existing service and would enable much more customization.

Sorry for the continued troubles and thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:39 am

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the update and the information.

- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:15 am

Give the poor frightened moaning server a pat on the head from me, please!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Helping Hand