Odd mishaps cause computer grief.

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Odd mishaps cause computer grief.

Postby lliam » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:59 am

.A man so angry at his laptop that he shot it has topped an annual league table of the oddest computer mishaps.

.Data recovery experts say although machine failure is blamed for the majority of lost files, humans are getting more careless too.

.But while ways to rescue files are increasingly sophisticated, people have to do more to protect and back up data.

.The list of the strangest ways data was lost was compiled by recovery experts Kroll On track.

.E-rage.

.Experts say the technical breakdown of computers is still the main cause of data loss, although human error in the form of neglect, rage and clumsiness is fast becoming one of the main reasons files need rescuing.

."Despite being the easiest problem to prevent, we are seeing more cases where human error is to blame," said Adrian Palmer from Kroll On track.
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Re: Odd mishaps cause computer grief.

Postby lliam » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:04 am

TOP 10 DATA DISASTERS
=====================
*Laptop shot in anger
*PC thrown out the window to destroy evidence before police arrived
*Laptop fell off a moped and was run over by lorry
*Laptop dropped in bath while doing company accounts
*Stolen PCs rescued after three weeks in a river
*Red wine spilt on laptop over dinner
*Server rescued after running unchecked 24/7 for years under layers of dust and dirt
*Computer thrown against a wall
*Latte-covered laptop rescued
*Laptop left on car roof as owner drives off
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:26 am

I wonder if anyone else has my most irritating problem. There are two "Alt" keys, one on each side of the spacebar. For someone who learned to type on a typewriter (yeah, I'm a coot), that means that I inadvertently hit the alt key when I want to hit the spacebar with (usually) my right thumb. In most MS programs, that opens up a pulldown from the window, and it's very, very easy to type a sequence that simply closes the window without saving your work.

This happens to me about once a month, but every time it costs me an hour or two of work. I remember pretty much what I typed, but many times I find that I'm not able to reconstruct the lost data to my satisfaction.

When I build my next computer, I'm going to be looking for a keyboard without the "Alt" key on the right of the spacebar. They weren't always there, as I recall.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:44 am

The "alt" key doesn't bother me (it wouldn't bother you either, barfle, if your index fingers were on their proper "j" and "f" keys) but the "cent" sign is missing from my computer keyboard. Also, when I come to the end of a line, I occasionally lurch in my chair when my left hand can't find the carriage return bar.

And what are all these goofy F1, F2, and so forth keys across the top of the keyboard?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby redlover1 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:57 pm

Function Keys Selma! Function Keys! LOL If you want to know what they do, here is the answer. They perform special functions depending on the type of program that is currently running on your computer. Other then that, they are worthless for normal everyday tasks.

Devin
;)
"Don't hate the player..... hate the game!"
redlover1
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:04 pm

Hi Barfle,

I think my Commodore Vic-20 had only one Alt key...shall I ship it to you?

:D

:p
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:51 am

OT, I'll probably be interested in that as soon as I get the tape drive connected to my IMSAI running again...
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:01 am

So you don't mind using a TV as a monitor?

- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby lliam » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:50 am

Doctor doctor.
=============
*Data recovery experts are the technological doctors and nurses of desktop or laptop hard drives.

*Using increasingly sophisticated techniques, "lost" files or information can be rescued and rebuilt into a usable format.

*This can happen in a matters of hours through remote access, but in more serious cases computer patients may have to be admitted to the lab.

*Have you accidentally lost important files through clumsiness, rage or forgetfulness? Tell us what your worst data disaster has been.

:cool:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:57 am

*I recently had a hard drive physically overheat and burn up on me taking more than 30 gigabytes of data with it - the solution? Dump the hard drive in a plastic bag and then into a bucket of ice to keep it cold enough to recover the data.

*This worked so well, the drive (which I had been told was "beyond saving" by an 'expert') provided me with all of the missing data and allowed me to make archive copies of it too once it was transferred to a good drive.
*Darren Gillett, United States.
-------------------------------------

*One of our mobile end users brought in his laptop for repairs. When I opened the bag and uncovered the machine he had drawn in permanent marker, a target with the words "sod it button" encompassed around it.

*He had been thumping the living daylights out of the poor machine everytime it crashed. One has to ask why it may have crashed in the first place.
*Jonny, UK
--------------------------------

*I have lost all my files last month. I was upgrading my computer hard disk. I forgot to back up my data. All my files gone. What a shame, although I have a Masters degree in computer science, I ignored the most basic step to safe guide your data.

*Michael Chan, Malaysia
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:44 pm

I'm reminded of a server that I needed to get running that had a dead processor cooling fan. With no processor cooling fan, the machine would run about 2 minutes -- just long enough to boot up Novell 3.11 -- before overheating. It had a ZIF socket processor that lay flat on the mother board, and I got the idea of putting a radiator in it. I simply cut the top off a pop-can, filled it full of water, and set it on top of the processor. The aluminum worked as an admirable heat sink, and evapotranspiration aided by the power supply and case fan would keep it cool enough to run for about 15 minutes. I found that I could extend this considerably by using ice in the pop can, and that the machine would run almost indefinitely if salt was added to the ice (provided that the ice and salt were replenished daily. Fortunately, contents did not spill before the new processor cooling fan came.

5 minutes ago, a user came to me saying that her computer had stopped. I went to investigate, and, low and behold, she had kicked the power switch.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:38 pm

Originally posted by lliam:

[/QB]
In what language is that senetence?
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:28 pm

Computer Gender

Why computers should be considered masculine:

1. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.

2. They have a lot of data but are still clueless.

3. They are supposed to help you solve your problems, but half the time they ARE the problem.

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had waited a little longer, you could have had a better model.

Why computers should be feminine:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic.

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.

3. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later retrieval.

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:05 am

Originally posted by bignaf:

In what language is that senetence? [/QB]
Hi Big, Did you mean: sentence? A moped is a small type of motorcycle for a single rider, with pedals, or it could be said a cycle with an engine, the rider pedals away to start the engine. A lorry is a large articulated heavy goods vehicle carrying between 18 and 44 tons of cargo we call them juggernauts, I think you refer to them as trucks.
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:30 am

I thought you were referring to a girl I had a crush on in college. You know, Laurie....

:p
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby lliam » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:50 am

[quote]Originally posted by operatenor:
[b] I thought you were referring to a girl I had a crush on in college. You know, Laurie....

:D :D :D
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:04 am

Lliam, kidding you about the lorry... :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:08 pm

Originally posted by bignaf:
Lliam, kidding you about the lorry... :D
That's ok big, but you didn't know about the moped, did you? ;)
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:41 pm

*The majority of mishaps in the top 10 list involved laptop computers, which are more susceptible to damage.
*There are countless examples of people forgetting them on public transport and in cafes or bars.
*Experts recommend data be backed up daily or weekly and regular checks are made on back up systems to endure they are working.
*In all the cases of the top 10 data loss accidents, computer files were rescued and restored.

*I carried my laptop from the back door to the car. I had trouble finding my keys so I placed the laptop in its carry case by the wheel. I then found my keys and got into the car and turned on the engine. Checked my mirrors and start to move. By the time I remember that I had left my laptop behind it was too late. The laptop became very flat after that!
Daniel, UK.

*A friend at university had completed a 10,000-word assignment the evening before the morning it was due to be handed in. During the night there was a thunderstorm and his house was hit by lightning, which fused the entire house's electricity and blew up his computer. He lost the entire assignment.
Rob Nicols, England.

*My mother was so infuriated that she couldn't get something to print; she proceeded to completely rip the keyboard and mouse out of the sockets and throw them out the window.
Brian, Scotland.

*Yep I have been the cause of damaging a laptop. Parked the car after working a very long day. Got out of car and realised the gap between the kerb and car was excessive. Put the laptop down on the road. Started engine up and moved car closer to the kerb. Not even noticing the car "bumping" over an object. I have to admit not only did I do this once, but also I ran over it twice. Needless to say I have the worlds flattest laptop!
Gavin Appleton, Scotland.

*I managed to lose 20GB of data that was on a hard drive I had in my rucksack was taking it to friends house to copy the data. I was also driving a rather powerful motorbike in dreadful conditions, I rolled on the power hit, the back wheel spun out on a tram track and bang I went down right on my rucksack. Although the hard disk was inside a polystyrene container, the impact caused the read arm in the hard drive to come loose and put a huge scratch in the disk. I managed to recover about two-thirds of the data but the rest is gone.
Jamie Ferguson, Scotland.
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:44 pm

Originally posted by operatenor:
[b] I thought you were referring to a girl I had a crush on in college. You know, Laurie....

:D :D :D
Or, Laurie.. and Hardie.. :cool:
Lliam.

lliam
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Helping Hand