Entomologist Anyone?

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Entomologist Anyone?

Postby Serenity » Wed May 25, 2005 11:24 pm

Ticks climb up grass and plants and hold up their legs "sensing" for prey. They are attracted to hosts by detecting carbon dioxide and heat with sensors on their first pair of legs. They do not jump; they simply crawl aboard, insert their mouths into their prey and engorge themselves with blood. Their saliva gets into the host's body and blood stream, infecting the host with the Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease).

Male and females mate while attached to the host. A few weeks later the engorged female detaches and lays 1000-8000 egs on a leaf. A tick lives one year before dying. The six-legged larvae live and feed on mice, deer, squirrels, livestock and anyone entering their habitat before molting and becoming 8-legged nymphs.

Pyrethrum is an African plant (Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium, Family Asteraceae). It is important as a source of insecticide. The flowers are pulverized and the active component (pyrethrin) extracted. Pyrethrins attack the nervous system of all insects and inhibit female mosquitoes from biting. They are harmful to fish but less toxic to mammals and birds than synthetic insecticides; being biodegradable they break down easily on exposure to light but they are considered among the safest insecticides for use around food. Permethrin is a synthetic insecticide based on natrual pyrethrum that enhances toxicity to insects and speeds the effects when compared to pyrethrins used alone. Raid is a popular insecticide made of pyrethrins.

Kenya produced 90% of the world's pyrethrum in 1998; production from Tasmania is increasing.

<small>[ 05-26-2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Serenity ]</small>
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu May 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Rose Geraniums smell better than Pennyroyal.

The official word for what ticks to, when waiting for a ride, is "pendulate". They hang on the tips of leaves, twigs or grass, and wait to be brushed against by something warm.

Snail-sushi translates to instantly-weened baby.
The "I think Im going to barf just thinking about this" factor aside, snails cheerfully eat things that are toxic to people. We've taken all the obviously poisoness plants out of the yard, but it still seems unwise to feed 'toxics concentrations devices' to a baby.

Note: the common brown garden snail is a European import. It is in fact escargot on the go. To prepare it safely for consumption, collect snails and keep them on a diet of oatmeal or cornmeal for 7-10 days before cooking. This cleans the ingested toxics out of their digestive tracts. I've known people who do this. I dont.

<small>[ 05-26-2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: piqaboo ]</small>
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Fri May 27, 2005 3:06 pm

Originally posted by piqaboo:
Note: the common brown garden snail is a European import. It is in fact escargot on the go. To prepare it safely for consumption, collect snails and keep them on a diet of oatmeal or cornmeal for 7-10 days before cooking. This cleans the ingested toxics out of their digestive tracts.
My dad's Maltese and tells me that when he was a boy (1930s) many families had a little patch of dandelions where they had snails. He'd pick them out of the green patch, they'd be prepared somehow (I seem to remember something about a bucket of salt water), and then fried up in a little olive oil and garlic. I prefer mine in butter and garlic.
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri May 27, 2005 3:28 pm

...and you kiss your hubbie with snail-mouth! :eek:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Angie Parkes » Fri May 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Well, he DID say "for better or for worse"! :D

Is there someone else I should kiss instead? :confused:

<small>[ 05-27-2005, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Angie ]</small>
Cheers,
Angie
Angie Parkes
3rd Chair

Postby tin0002 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

Originally posted by Angie:
There are no fleas in Calgary, too high and too dry, and ticks are only a problem if you go hiking in the mountains in the spring. The gophers are little and cute and stay out of gardens.

Why on earth would you put up with all those pests? Oh, I remember, it gets down to -40 here! Right. I knew there was hitch to this pest-free stuff. :D
Try Utah. I moved here a few years ago from the eastern U.S. and I love the (relatively) bug-free-ness of it! And no -40! :D
tin0002
Section Player

Postby treebeau » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:51 am

No more bees!

For update see my blog.

Regards,
Tim "happy camper" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Helping Hand