How to listen?

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

How to listen?

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:49 am

Help! There's no "Listen Live" button on the web page. I've cleared the cookies and temporary files and rebooted so the page had to refresh, but still no way to listen.

It doesn't even have a real.com link showing, so I can't go that route.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: How to listen?

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:06 am

Are you at Beethoven.com? We no longer can be heard at Adsertions, we no longer work with them. You must go to Beethoven.com and click PLAY. Delete all cookies and favorites pointing towards Adsertion since we no longer work with them.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:14 am

Nicole,

I have gone to Beethoven.com, and there is no Play button to click. I have deleted all cookies and temp files to no avail. I get the usual home page minus the play button.

I went to Real.com and have accepted the 14 day trial. I am now listening on realplayer, but had to go through Real.com to find you.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:23 am

Hmmm, there's even a "Listen Live" play button on the BBB pages for me. There's even one now as I'm adding the reply. I just tested it, and it works.

What kind of PC/OS are you using?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:29 am

The change of the stream does not effect our graphics. Beethoven.com Listen/Live Play link is OURS it has no bearing on the change of stream. The Play button is right below the Listen Live. Go to Beethoven.com and hold down the Shift key and then click you r refresh button. You just may need to refresh our homepage.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby pet » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:35 am

Help! I'm trying to listen through Windows Media and it keeps hiccupping. I can't ake much m of thi . You get the idea.
pet
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:39 am

You need adjust your buffer settings. Try setting the buffering on your Windows Media Player to 30 seconds. On a Windows computer, click START, select Accessories, then Entertainment, then Windows Media Player. Next, click Views, Options, Advanced, Change, and where it says "Buffer- 5 seconds" change the 5 to 30. Then click OK.

Also, you may be experiencing network congestion -- that is, too much data traveling on your Internet connection. Try closing any other Internet related applications (browsers, email, etc...). If you're using a 28.8 modem, consider upgrading to a faster 56k modem, DSL or Cable modem.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:41 am

Barfle,

I'm running Win98 on this workstation, the network runs NT. Internet Explorer 6.0 to access the site.

The "Listen Live" button worked fine yesterday, but has vanished today. I've tried refreshing the screen, just deleted cookies and temp files again (had to log back into the BB, so I know their gone), but still to no avail.

As I said, everything is there as usual except the listen live and real.com buttons. Holding the mouse over the bar where the real.com button is supposed to be brings up a real.com link in the text window, but that doesn't happen if I move it to where the "listen live" button is supposed to be.

I'm barfled, er...baffled.

As I said, I am listening now via realplayer, but I don't know what's happened to the screen, and if anyone else is having the same situation.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby pet » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:55 am

I changed the settings and it actually seems worse. I have cable at home and here at work our T1 line screams, so that can't be the problem. Oh well, I knew it was too good to last. Thanks anyway.
pet
5th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:30 am

Either the website is weird today, or the network admin here has got weird. I'm not sure which.

The Beethoven.com home page won't load, and the browser says it's refused connection. However, I can get at the bulletin board site. The music stream launched from the bulletin board's "listen" button, so I know that's working (WHEW!) but my profile is refusing connection. However, I direct-linked to a pm from piqaboo, from the notifying e-mail. I'm confused. :(

I hope this is just a temporary scramble, and that the snarls untangle themselves. <pouty icon>
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:00 am

It must have been the earthquakes.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby CLarsen » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:43 am

Hello Shapely,

We removed the little Windows Media Player and Real Player icons because people were getting confused and clicking on those (which took you to a page where you could download the player) instead of clicking on the big Play button right above them. I haven't a clue why you wouldn't be able to see the red Listen Live button. Please tell me what you see in it's place.

If you see the large cello on the left, you can click anywhere in that image and it will load the Windows stream. If that still doesn't work then try this link: http://www.beethoven.com/beethoven_ad.asx

Pet: If you could do me a huge favor and perform a traceroute for me then we can find out where the hicupping problem lies. Go to START and then RUN, type in CMD and click the OK button. You'll see a black screen with a DOS prompt. Type in "tracert nyc08.egihosting.com" and you'll see a bunch of number show up. Copy those numbers and email them to clarsen@beethoven.com
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:03 pm

Yup. Earthquakes.

The home page is now working again (I guess Chris was working on it earlier when I had those "connection refused" issues) and my profile is there again, too. I'm still adjusting to the sidebar ads but I'm guessing that they're how we're paying for this stream. Who knows, they might advertise something I want, eventually.

(Now, if somebody who sells those Australian casein knitting needles puts an ad up, I'm all over 'em! Can't find those locally, and I'd really like a set of circular casein needles)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:19 pm

Chris,

If I knew how to save the image of the page, I would do so. As it is, I will describe it in detail:

Across the top is the banner: img_ad_boder_top.jpg
below that on the left is the image: img_instruments.jpg
to the right of that is a bar: img_ad_boder_bottom.jpg

Below this is the menu bar: button_onair.jpg
button_community_roll.jpg
button_shop_roll.jpg
button_advertise.jpg
button_company_roll.jpg
button_help.jpg

This bar used to go all the way across the screen, and placing the mouse over it to the right of the "help" button gave a text message that indicated a link to download windows media player. placing the mouse over the right end of the bar produced a text message indicating a link to "WWW.real.com". It is this link I used to get to them, so the link worked this morning, even if the button wasn't visible.

Below the "on-air" and "Community" buttons is the "Request" button: rollover.gif

Below that is the email login box: email_login_home.gif

To the right of these (center of the page) is the "Now Playing" window: now_playing.gif

To the right of this is a brown field.

Below the e-mail login is the poll box: poll_home.gif

To the right of that (center of the page) is the "Features" window: features.gif

To the right of that is more brown field.

Below the poll box is the newsletter and email sign-up buttons: bottom_bar_bg.gif

To the right Near the center of the screen) of that is the "Classical Music News" window: classical_music_news.gif

To the right of that is the webcam window: webcam_home.gif (with Dan wearing a very stylish shirt)

Below that, full width of the screen, is the copyright info, followed by links to advertisers.

The cello does not appear at all, nor does dragging the mouse across any part of the background produce a link for listening.

I hope this helps.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby pet » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:22 pm

Chris,

Sorry, all I get is "CANNOT FIND THE FILE (OR ONE OF ITS COMPONENTS)..." Any other way I can check it?
pet
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:28 pm

Selma:

You talkin' 'bout these things?

http://www.arnos.com.au/swallow/home.html

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:45 pm

Yes, Shapley, those things. I found one set of the 11" straight needles, about a #5 or #6, at a craft shop in Orange County that was having a fabric sale (which was why I was there) and I love them.

They are not, however, the correct diameter for my current project. I've found internet sources for the straight needles, and will buy them gradually as I need them for projects, but I really, really like circular needles - I hope they offer them soon.

Drat. You pushed a "hobby" button here. Can you tell?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:16 pm

Shap, from what you described, you are missing the entire third row from your browser screen. There should be a tight shot on a cello under the "instruments" picture, with a note that the stream may not load on your first attempt, then a line drawing of a cello and the "Listen Live" logo. All of that area is coded to open the WMP window.

Checking the source code, I don't see that the missing images come from anyplace different than the ones you do see. What you're missing is:
errorplay.gif
and
img_violin.jpg

No sign of either one?

And to save an image of the page, with the beethoven window selected, hold down the "Alt" key and hit "Print Screen." Then, open up the paint program (usually found at Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ Paint). Then paste and save. You may be able to save as a jpg file but most likely it will be a bmp, depending on your version of Paint. Then email the file to Chris.

Good luck. My day would be much poorer without the great music.

<small>[ 06-17-2004, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: barfle ]</small>
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:30 pm

Barfle, I agree. I think I would lose my mind without the music. (again with the whole efficiency problem.)
;)
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:34 pm

Barfle you are still seeing the old Beethoven.com. The "...may not load on the first attempt" messgae is old. You need to refresh the Beethoven.com site. Hold down Shift and hit refresh.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Helping Hand