How to listen?

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: How to listen?

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:37 pm

Righto, YRH. New words! &^%#@!! server cache!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:59 pm

I think I've stumbled onto the problem, although I'm not sure why.

It seems my privacy controls are blocking some of the files from the site. They were not blocked before, and I have not changed the setting from "medium", but that appears to be the situation.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:05 pm

Now I'm having issues. When I click the play button, I get a window that says it's checking whether or not I want to open or save a file named content.select from the site release.theplatform.com. No matter what I decide to do with it, I don't get the WMP window.

ARGHH! :mad:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby CLarsen » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:25 pm

Barfle: You can try the link I posted above to listen to the stream. Let me know where you clicked the link that gave you the error as it may be incorrect on the site somewhere. We're registered with a gateway advertisement provider and they are called "thePlatform" but downloads are not required and you shouldn't see that error. I'll get it touch with them and see what might have caused it. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby barfle » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:54 pm

Thanks, Chris. The link works (although the banjo music had me a bit confused, it's also "now playing" so it's probably fine). I guess it'll get added to my favorites and I'll listen that way.

<small>[ 06-18-2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: barfle ]</small>
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:20 pm

Just to follow up, Chris, the link was the "Listen Live" button on the beethoven.com home page. I tried it on the button, I tried it on the cello, I tried both of them from the bulletin board.

I looked at the source code for the home page and it wasn't hard to find what my PC was trying to open. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, either, unless the administrators here have some nefarious plan to block streams (but that's the ONLY one I've seen that gave me any trouble besides the space launch this morning, which I can probably blame on web traffic for the most part). BTW, I had the same experience this morning.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:02 pm

I have a little problem to air myself. I'm sure poor Chris is going to love this one.

First, let me say how happy I am that adsertion is gone. (I think I will go home and burn them in effigy, in fact.) And I really like being able to play Beethoven Radio (BR) in Windows Media Player again (just like the good old days -- but BR needs to let Windows Media know to update their Radio Tuner because the Radio Tuner link still points to the adsertion #$^#$$#^.) I can mess with the graphic equalizer and all of that.

Now, my problem: When I first fire up BR in the morning it comes through crystal-clear and lovely as ever. However, as the day goes on, I begin to hear a little of what sounds for all the world like static, such as one would hear on a distant FM station. After a few hours, this sound morphs into the familiar marimba of the dreaded helicopter. I called HRH about this, and she recommended that I adjust my buffering to 30 sec. I did so, but the problem persists. However, it clears up completely by pushing stop and then start. Admittedly, this is not hugely stressful, but it sure would be nice to just turn BR on in the morning and turn it off at night . . .
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:42 am

I too like the new stream, but I've had more problems with losing it in the middle of songs, etc. All of the sudden the player will just lose the feed entirely. It's very interesting.
Also, I've had trouble keeping the player or the now playing window up-to-date with what's actually playing.
Any reason for these problems?
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:20 pm

BTW, the play button returned. It was on the site when I logged in on Monday. I'm still not sure what happened to it to make it go away in the first place.

I listen on Realplayer now, though. I like it, good sound.

If you reject all the options from their ad partners when you install, you don't seem to get bombarded by the ads that were the bane of real users before.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby pet » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:24 am

I thought I would give it another shot here at work, but it keeps cutting out. I have cable at home and it plays perfectly in the Media Explorer bar. I can listen to MostlyClassical.com in WM with no buffering at all. I don't get it.
pet
5th Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:13 am

The BBB seems to be working like molasses this morning; it takes forever to load a page whenever you click on anything.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby lliam » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:50 am

For the first time in ages I'm listening to B.com on WMP 9,the sounds wicked, no buffering, no interference, and it's great (touch wood).
Now, all we need is the webcams updated and wer'e on a winner.
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:22 pm

The best part about computers is that they make very fast, specific mistakes.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:46 pm

Saturday. At work. :)

No helicopters no complaints. The WMP stream is a good deal! :D
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:53 pm

IT's good the stream's working for you, Selma. Piq and I are both sorry you have to be at work on such a beautiful SoCal day.

:(
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Previous

Return to Helping Hand