Trouble with Stream

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Trouble with Stream

Postby mmichaelson » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:56 am

I'm having a lot of trouble with the stream this morning. It is continually buffering, or connecting, etc.
Is there a problem?
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Re: Trouble with Stream

Postby barfle » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:41 am

Mine seems to be dropping out fairly often, too. I get about an hour at a time.

Are they running at capacity? That seems like it would be good news!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:42 am

Try setting the buffering on your Windows Media Player to 30 seconds. On a Windows computer, click START, select Accessories, then Entertainment, then Windows Media Player. Next, click Views, Options, Advanced, Change, and where it says "Buffer- 5 seconds" change the 5 to 30. Then click OK.

Also, you may be experiencing network congestion -- that is, too much data traveling on your Internet connection. Try closing any other Internet related applications (browsers, email, etc...). If you're using a 28.8 modem, consider upgrading to a faster 56k modem, DSL or Cable modem.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby haggis » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:44 am

Yeah,
I'm havoing problems as well, lots of starts ad drops, very unusual since we went to WMP
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby mmichaelson » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:13 pm

Did as you sugguested YRH and I'm still getting the drops and buffering that I was before. . .
Am not sure what is going on today, but have switched to a normal radio until I can get it lined out. .. too many starts and stops for me. . .was driving me crazy!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:43 pm

I'm having a lot of drops today myself. In fact, I think that the music is off more than it is on. I have my buffering set to 30 seconds and I don't have a bandwidth problem -- I checked my linespeed and it is > 280 Kb/sec. I tracerouted beethoven.com and I have some fairly slow responses once I hit gen.twtelecom.net. I guess maybe the routers are just really busy betwixt here and there. Either that or the b.com server just can't handle this much traffic. It sure makes it not much fun to listen. I've reset my buffering to a full minute while typing this, and it seems to be an improvement, but WMP won't let me buffer more than a full minute.

BTW, I still have the "static" issues I mentioned previously and I get helicoptering after I've been playing the stream for an hour or so. Stopping and restarting the player resolves the helicoptering and seems to help with the "static." All in all, it's a little miserable out here in beethoven radio listener land. Is it time to take up a collection?
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:26 pm

Ditto on the static thing. . .today was the first time I've ever heard the static. I checked a few minutes ago and was still having problems with the buffering, dropping, and static.
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:24 am

I don't know what was up yesterday, but my stream is up and running great today!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:44 pm

Yeah, I'm into hour #10 with nary a hickup. Don't know who fixed what, but apparently someone did. My thanks to whoever it was.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:15 pm

Help!!!! Did the stream drop off again? It was buffering, then I lost connection, now I can't get back on. . it keeps having errors!!!!

Please restore my beloved BR!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:24 pm

Ok, so as sure as I finally whine to you guys. . .it finally comes back up. . .disregard said whining please.
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:55 pm

Hi Saxy-

The stream is doing that bc we are maxing out. We only have 3000 available streams at the Windows Player and it's packed. But we are going to cut that number on 31 Dec. You will have more problems with the stream after 31 Dec. We are asking folks to sign up for the Real Pass so they can still connect. We are also going to give you extras through the Real stream. Folks that listen through Real will have their requests played 100% of the time, access to MP3's, 3000 other radio stations, presets to find Beethoven Radio and more. (Visit the Beethoven.com homepage to read about it.)
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:05 pm

Wow. Will definitely sign up by then. Have to have my BR to survive the workday.
Thanks YRH!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:31 pm

Unfortunately, some of us have to depend on the media player stream. We've been "secured" at work, to the point where I can't install software. At all. Everything not mandatory is forbidden. :(

Slows things down, too.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:33 pm

That sucks Selma! For now, we're allowed to download what we want. TAMU has a HUGE network and they will have a hard time closing it all down. We'll see how long it takes them. For now, I'm safe. . . .
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby BenODen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:40 pm

Hey Nicole,

I think you'll need rules for your 100% request playing... I don't think I could bear all Bolero all the time! :D (And I like it, imagine the noise the haters would make. *LAUGH*)

I'm thinkin hard about subscribing though...

-Benito
If only I could fly on my own wings.
BenODen
3rd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:42 pm

Good point Benito. I'd pull my hair out if I had to palyit all the time too. ;) We'll have to see how that feature goes and tweek it as we move ahead after 31 Dec.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:43 pm

Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
The stream is doing that bc we are maxing out. We only have 3000 available streams at the Windows Player and it's packed. But we are going to cut that number on 31 Dec. You will have more problems with the stream after 31 Dec. We are asking folks to sign up for the Real Pass so they can still connect. We are also going to give you extras through the Real stream. Folks that listen through Real will have their requests played 100% of the time, access to MP3's, 3000 other radio stations, presets to find Beethoven Radio and more. (Visit the Beethoven.com homepage to read about it.)
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this. I don't find anything on the homepage about this change. Why is it being done and were any other models considered?

BigJon
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:07 am

Originally posted by Selma in San Diego:
Unfortunately, some of us have to depend on the media player stream. We've been "secured" at work, to the point where I can't install software. At all. Everything not mandatory is forbidden. :(
Us too.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:41 am

BigJon-

We are doing it bc the cost of paying for free bandwidth is to high. Plus we now have to pay Sound Exchange fees (the whole RIAA thing) per song per listener. So we are paying for bandwidth AND royality payments per listener per song. It's to much $$$.

We have posted a Press Release on the homepage you can click and read. Plus we talk about it twice an hour on air. We are encouraging people to sign up for Real. It's a better stream and Real pays for the bandwidth and royalty payments. Sorry folks, but we like our company and our jobs. And if we have to keep paying for high bandwidth and royality... well we'd have to close the doors.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Helping Hand