Trouble with Stream

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Trouble with Stream

Postby Marye » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:12 am

Originally posted by piqaboo:
Originally posted by Selma in San Diego: Everything not mandatory is forbidden. :(
Us too. [/QB]
moi aussi

:( :(
Marye
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:35 am

Me three! No more B.com at work! :(
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:44 am

[quote]Originally posted by Serenity:
[b]No more B.com at work! :D
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:58 am

Well, working for a state institution, you'd think my hands would be tied as well. . .but the university hasn't become smart enough (or have enough money) to curb what we do online. It's nice (for now).

I promise I'll sign up for real player and get out of the way for those who can't!
Mandi, Proud Mommy to fawn boxer Sam and two tabby kitties: Chloe and Ty!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Selma in Sandy Eggo:
I have a feeling it'd sound even better if I had less cheesy speakers
Pro: I use headphones and they sound great. Switch if you can, but don't tell audiogirl.

Con: However, the headphones won't annoy your male coworkers, especially during the "Revenge Aria."

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:55 pm

How much is Real? I didn't see a price for the service anywhere on the press release.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:03 pm

The price is on the Real info page on our site. (You can link to it by clicking on the Real link at our homepage.) It's $5.95 a month and that gives you access to the entire Real Network. The Real network gives you over 3200 radio stations, MP3's, 600,000 songs for download and more. Here's the link to read through the info, you can also try it for free first: http://www.beethoven.com/realone/default.htm
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:55 pm

Thanks, Y.R.H.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:28 pm

Originally posted by treebeau:
Con: However, the headphones won't annoy your male coworkers, especially during the "Revenge Aria."
Ha, speaking of the Revenge Aria, it's next!!

:)
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:18 pm

Ha-oh-ah-ah Ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha Haaaaah!

Regards,
Tim "sue me, Joe" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby mmichaelson » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:33 pm

Figured you'd LOVE that!
mmichaelson
2nd Chair

Postby EJA » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:22 pm

A couple of things -- some us out in the sticks and hinterlands don't have very fast Internet connections and CAN'T play a 96K stream. I am afraid that we will be disenfranchised after Dec. 31. (I know you all will miss me. :D ) The other thing is, even if we could have a fast enough 96K connection to the Internet, we may be too far away (in router hops) from the streaming server to get a reliable stream at 96K. A 28K stream buffers much better and much faster than a 96K stream. I swear I'd be willing to pay for a subscription to the 28K--provided that it was like the old 28K stream that BR had when Sir Stew was new (I have to re-start the current every hour or so, not because it drops, but because of the invasion of the dreaded helicopter.) Seems to me that the key to making money in radio is audience size, and it stands to reason that generally the bandwidth of the stream is inversely proportional to the audience size. It seems to me that what BR needs to do is to start charging for the 28K stream. To do this, they would, of course, have to improve the quality. Another thing I would like to see is parity between royalties paid by Internet radio and royalties paid by traditional radio; they should be the same, @#%$ it! All this, incidentally, is aside from my vitriolic aversion to anything made by RealNetworks.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby pet » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:48 am

I have to agree there. I can't tell you how many local events and businesses I have patronized after hearing of them on Beethoven. I too am not allowed to download w/o IT's blessing. Not likely to happen. Sadly, all good things must end so I will try to enjoy these next couple of months of my favorite radio station while I have it.

pet
pet
5th Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:26 am

Folks, we are not dropping off the face of the planet after 31 Dec. We are just LIMITING the number of Windows streams. (It will be about 1500) so yes, you may have increased difficulty listening but there will STILL be a free service. For those that can, we'd like you to sign up for Real. Open some streams for others.

For those that can not sign up, I suggest the earlier you can open a Windows stream, the better. Our numbers start to ramp up between 11Am to 4PM EST. So if you can log on earlier then that, the better chances you have of getting a stream. Also if you have a high speed internet connection you will have less bumps offs, a better connection. For those that have low speed connections you may want to up grade. If you have specific questions post them here or email the tech folks at helpme@beethoven.com
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:08 pm

I've done my part. Signed onto Real yesterday. I don't notice much difference in sound quality(I have Altec Lansing multimedia speakers).

1 slot freed up for those who need WMP.

:)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:27 pm

Originally posted by treebeau:
...the headphones won't annoy your male coworkers, especially during the "Revenge Aria."...
They will if I sing along.

Seriously, I have headphones at work and use them for some music. Bagpipes, Queen, anything I want loud. Mostly it's cheesy speakers on the desktop, and there's a set of slightly less cheesy speakers at home - they have a big bass box that sits on the floor as well as the two little speakers on the desktop.

But, really, it doesn't matter where I am, I can annoy folks with or without technological assistance. :D
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:33 am

How true.
After all you are a soprano!!!

:p
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:07 pm

Having heard the Revenge Aria on B.com t'other day, I wonder if Florence Foster Jenkins is really so very bad....
:D <tongue very much in cheek smilie>
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:17 am

A friend loaned me a video of "The Magic Flute", a movie made by Ingmar Bergman in the 70s. The "Revenge Aria" makes sense when you SEE it.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:40 pm

Originally posted by Nicole Marie:
We are doing it bc the cost of paying for free bandwidth is to high. Plus we now have to pay Sound Exchange fees (the whole RIAA thing) per song per listener. So we are paying for bandwidth AND royality payments per listener per song. It's to much $$$.
This I understand. I expected to come sooner than it has.
We have posted a Press Release on the homepage you can click and read.
Yes, now I see the link. When I posted my original message it was not showing up.
Plus we talk about it twice an hour on air.
I haven't been able to connect to B.com since my last consulting contract ended. I just come to the forums to keep up to speed until we get high speed access here at home.
We are encouraging people to sign up for Real. It's a better stream and Real pays for the bandwidth and royalty payments. Sorry folks, but we like our company and our jobs. And if we have to keep paying for high bandwidth and royality... well we'd have to close the doors.
I also understand, but there are so many other models for pay-for-play. IMHO forcing many listeners to sign up for a service that offers 1100 alternate channels is not a good way to hold on to them. :) I'd rather see my money going directly to you guys so I know that it has the best effectiveness for the music and the station I like.

BigJon
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Helping Hand